Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Cruz reader

The Velocity Cruz reader site was updated today. It is supposed to be shipping on September 8th. Borders also has it available for preorder.

http://www.cruzreader.com/

Looks to be a contender...
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Yeah, just got an email from Borders about pre-orders for this and also for the Cruz Tablet, looks interesting. Any word on what version of Android these will ship with?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
From what I've read the Velocity Cruz Reader runs Android 2.0 and is strictly an eReader. The Velocity Cruz Tablet runs Android 2.1 and can be used as a tablet.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
From what I've read the Velocity Cruz Reader runs Android 2.0 and is strictly an eReader. The Velocity Cruz Tablet runs Android 2.1 and can be used as a tablet.
Well, almost. I just ordered the CruzReader directly from Velocity Micro's website and it does most everything their new tablet does. Same size unit, less storage but still has 4 GB micro SD card.
Description: "The world’s first affordable touch screen color ereader. Cruz through books, magazines, and newspapers on this revolutionary device’s crystal clear 7” display. Plays video, music, and browses the web in full color. Backed by Velocity Micro’s expert US-based support."
Has 802.11 b/g wi-fi whereas the tablet has 802.11n. The display is 4:3, the tablet is 16:9. Both play music, etc. so for $199.99, it's worth getting.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
the question is if it's just a reskinned Pandigital Novel, which can be had considerably cheaper.

http://www.slatedroid.com/content/cr...-one-same-355/
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
zsmomma
zsmomma began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, Pandigital Novel, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
the question is if it's just a reskinned Pandigital Novel, which can be had considerably cheaper.

http://www.slatedroid.com/content/cr...-one-same-355/
the white Pandigital Novel.
zsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
LOTL
LOTL began at the beginning.

Device: None
$179.10 Preorder here at Newegg
with coupon code EMCYXYP26 and free shipping.
LOTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
CPhill505
CPhill505 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-600
How well does a TFT screen do outside?
CPhill505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Not very good at all(i.e. read nearly unreadable) unless you can find enough shade or otherwise contrive some cover... eInk & mono-LCDs are [s]MUCH[/s] INFINITELY better if you plan on using outside in sunlight alot...

I ended up w/a PRS-505 18m or so ago, and picked up an Augen Gentouch78 (rooted & market), so now I use the 505 when daylight reading, and the GT after dark... used iReader a bit for some plain old text files, and have been using FBreaderJ for ePub ATM. Also use it in the morning for quick website checks and emails that need immediate responses as I have a well enough shaded area for it to be readable. (Using it as a reader alone is enough for me to have decided to keep it... supposed to be getting the GPLed parts of the source soonish as well... drawback is that ATM there is no opengl es support as the fw maker went cheapo and used only the basic drivers... or couldn't figure out how to make the complete driver stack work...)

Mono-LCDs are really the best allarounders IF they come with a halfway decent backlight... only problem is the loss of contrast when they heat up, e.g. hold a REB-1100 or old Palm just the wrong way and bam you end up with a black screen... found this out accidentally when I left my palm on and sitting in direct sunlight when I came back the screen was practically completely black, but it's pretty easy to find a comfortable angle where it isn't a problem.

Cruz Reader: has the same battery as the Novel & internal storage is a uSD... people @ slatedroid just waiting for internals pictures and/or experimenting w/the fw on a white Novel... (the black Novel is a piece of junk, MUCH less RAM, and not hackable ATM...)

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 09-05-2010 at 01:23 PM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

got my ups notice that the Cruz Reader is now shipping. Expected by Sept 20th.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:10 PM   #11
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
got my ups notice that the Cruz Reader is now shipping. Expected by Sept 20th.
I'm very anxious to see how you like it. I had a Pandigital Novel, but felt like the build quality and shoddy firmware was just too much to overcome.

The Cruz reader seems to have a better outer shell, and much better firmware (no hacks needed).

Please post your impressions asap
Old 09-18-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
MsAstoria
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
I'm very anxious to see how you like it. I had a Pandigital Novel, but felt like the build quality and shoddy firmware was just too much to overcome.

The Cruz reader seems to have a better outer shell, and much better firmware (no hacks needed).

Please post your impressions asap
Be glad to! BTW, the arrival date should have read the 22nd, not the 20th, LOL
Old 09-18-2010, 10:23 AM   #13
zorah
Enthusiast
zorah is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad; iPhone; Asus T91MT; Kindle Touch
yeah-the e-reader specs seem pretty cool. for the $199 reader, it says Android apps can be installed, which is really great. At this point, I'm doing fine with my hacked PDN, and I got it knowing ahead of time that if I truly wanted to use the Android OS, I'd have to hack. So I don't down Pandigital for that-they did not make that part of their specs. But for those less adventurous, I'd guess it's worth the extra 20-30 or so bucks for the Cruz, although with some of the coupon deals, people have gotten their PDN for a lot less. But I'm definitely interested to hear about the Cruz. My PDN is stable and working fine, but all of this techno stuff interests me!

Last edited by zorah; 09-18-2010 at 10:37 AM.
zorah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #14
mojohn
mojohn began at the beginning.

Device: cruz reader
Root and Connection to ad-hoc Wifi through my phone

I am new to the forum and a new Cruz Reader owner (came by UPS on 9/17/10).

So far, I don't regret the purchase. The touch screen isn't as accurate or responsive as I had hoped, but it's good enough for me. Plenty bright, beautiful colors, crisp, clear text.

Only two problems:
  1. Too much crapware, and no way to uninstall it until we have root. Does anyone know if someone is working on root?
  2. I installed barnacle on my rooted Moto Backflip, which now acts as an ad-hoc wifi network. My laptop connects flawlessly, but the Reader can't find the network and doesn't even connect when I attempt manual connection. Any clues?

Thanks, mojohn
mojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #15
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojohn View Post
I am new to the forum and a new Cruz Reader owner (came by UPS on 9/17/10).

So far, I don't regret the purchase. The touch screen isn't as accurate or responsive as I had hoped, but it's good enough for me. Plenty bright, beautiful colors, crisp, clear text.

Only two problems:
  1. Too much crapware, and no way to uninstall it until we have root. Does anyone know if someone is working on root?
  2. I installed barnacle on my rooted Moto Backflip, which now acts as an ad-hoc wifi network. My laptop connects flawlessly, but the Reader can't find the network and doesn't even connect when I attempt manual connection. Any clues?

Thanks, mojohn
Does the Quick Uninstaller app work (the apk file is easy to find online), or is the crapware locked?