Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
mitch13
Groupie
mitch13 began at the beginning.

Device: Appraising the market
Queries re Kindle

When books are deleted from the Kindle are the associated index files also removed? As index files take a reasonably large amount of room this would help conserve space. Would a reboot solve this problem?

mitch13
mitch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
I was curious about this, too, so a few weeks ago I checked it out on my Kindle 3. When deleting the book, the associated index file was also deleted. I verified this by looking at the index folder before and after the book deletion. No reboot was required.

Note that I only tried this using the file-deletion function on the Kindle itself, since that's the way I delete books after I finish reading them. If one were to delete a book using calibre or your operating system's file manager (Windows Explorer, for instance), then I don't know what the results would be. Probably someone here does, though. If not, I could check it out easily enough, if that's important to you.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 02:29 AM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
That is a good question. Does everything relating to a given book get deleted if you use Windows Explorer or some other means rather than the Kindle's built in delete feature or do associated files remain undeleted from the Kindle?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Does everything relating to a given book get deleted if you use Windows Explorer or some other means rather than the Kindle's built in delete feature
I can't see how that would be possible. When you use Windows Explorer (or similar), you tell it which specific file you want to delete. Things like annotations and highlights - and indexes - are held in separate files. As the deletion tool would have no way of knowing about those files, it seems likely that they won't get deleted.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsquash View Post
I was curious about this, too, so a few weeks ago I checked it out on my Kindle 3. When deleting the book, the associated index file was also deleted. I verified this by looking at the index folder before and after the book deletion. No reboot was required.

Note that I only tried this using the file-deletion function on the Kindle itself...
Good to know!
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The software could easily check for "orphaned" index files. Don't know if it does, but I'd certainly check for that, if I were a Kindle developer.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Not long after I got my DXG, I thought I'd be clever and delete a lot of books via usb. The DXG started using a lot of power - needing a recharge every few days. I think it was "looking" for the books that the index files referred to, not finding them and looking again, looping constantly (just my impression this, I can't prove it). I "cured" it by going in via usb, deleting everything in the "Search Indexes" folder, and leaving it plugged in while it re-indexed everything.

So, in my experience, you shouldn't delete books via usb.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:08 AM   #8
mitch13
Groupie
mitch13 began at the beginning.

Device: Appraising the market
Thanks People - I think you are correct about results when using a USB. I have such a large number of books to clean up that it is my only choice so will remove books and Index files and let the Kindle re-index - easiest way!

mitch13
mitch13 is offline   Reply With Quote