Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 03:20 AM   #31
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I've been reading on a tablet for a couple of years now, and really don't see the problems.

I like the flexibility of multiple apps, and a dedicated monochrome reader is just useless in comparison for those of us who want to read comic books.

I'd love a dedicated reader for fiction, but for one device to read everything - a tablet is better for me.
I simply have both. Summer is over, so my Sony doesn't get a lot of action anymore and my Flyer gets more.

That video the OP posted has some truths in it (not the distractions, you can always turn those off or simply ignore them, I never have the "need" to check my email (don't do twitter, facebook, and those other social junk) if I see I have one. I simply push away the message if the blinking light (my power lights start blinking) gets annoying.) But a LCD screen is a pain to read in daylight unless you turn up the brightness to 100% And that will drain your battery fast. I do prefer a transflective screen (but those aren't around in the 7" format I'd want) but e-ink is a good second choice.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:23 AM   #32
tleach
tleach began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo e-reader
Haha too true. I read on my LG Optimus and on my Galaxy Tab and since they're both synched to my email... yeah, lots of distractions there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

They were reading on a tablet in sunlight?
^ this! BAD idea!
tleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #33
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Now you know. I'm thinking drug war and controlled technology....
TekWar...

5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #34
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
The definitive answer:

http://tech.lifegoesstrong.com/artic...-tablet-part-1
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #35
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I think he left out a critical question: which one will you have with you when you want to read? I do much of my reading away from home, particularly on public transit. I AM going to have a multi-purpose device with me, and one that will be magazine-and-comic capable. Would I carry an additional device just for text-only books? I just don't know.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #36
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Exactly. When my family accusses me of having too many tablets, they are counting my k4 and my paperwhite. Although I could give up the k4 now that I have the paperwhite, those aren't tablets! !
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:44 PM   #37
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I've been reading on a tablet for a couple of years now, and really don't see the problems.

I like the flexibility of multiple apps, and a dedicated monochrome reader is just useless in comparison for those of us who want to read comic books.

I'd love a dedicated reader for fiction, but for one device to read everything - a tablet is better for me.
I have a dedicated ereader and an iPad2 for PDF's and comics. I am quite happy with that combination and my eyes love it.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #38
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Would I carry an additional device just for text-only books? I just don't know.
I do. Simply because I cannot use a tablet everywhere and I cannot use an e-ink reader everywhere.

I carpool. Which means I have to wait for my ride to arrive. And I prefer doing that outside (instead of staying inside and only packing up when the car has arrived). Now, in summer, the sun will still be nicely in the sky and at the end of the afternoon, it's usually a nice time to actually wait in the sun (especially if you have been inside the whole day at one of those boring office buildings...). Using my tablet is simply not possible then. So, I take my BBMini. Yet, it can also be a gray and cloudy day, or later (or earlier) in the year. So, less light and a backlit device is handier in those situations.
Problem is, a day can start rainy and end up beautiful (or vice versa). So I never know which reader I will want to use (maybe I use my MP3 player which has audiobooks on it because it's raining)

So, wherever I go, I always have my tablet and my e-ink reader with me (the MP3 player is in my coat pocket...)
Old 12-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #39
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Sweatpea, what's a BBMini?

Even though my iPad, iPod and phone are always with me, I find myself lugging my Kindle around more and more. Especially now that I have been doing some holiday shopping ... I actually enjoy standing in line
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #40
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Sweatpea, what's a BBMini?

Even though my iPad, iPod and phone are always with me, I find myself lugging my Kindle around more and more. Especially now that I have been doing some holiday shopping ... I actually enjoy standing in line
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/12/5...-199-hands-on/
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #41
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^Thanks
Old 12-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #42
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Oh sorry, yes, the BeBook Mini. It was my first e-ink reader and the one I always take with me. I'd love to have a 4" reader though... I read about one earlier this year (this summer?) but never since. Even the Mini is a tad too large to fit in my coat pocket...
Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #43
xendula
eBookworm

Sweetpea, how about the Kobo Mini? It's a 5 inch reader, but seems to be overall more compact than your BBmini, judging by the pictures.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #44
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I think it will be nice to have 2 in 1 device like Samsung note with LCD screen and E ink screen on back side. In this case it will be useful for reading and for e-mail checking, Internet etc

As i remember somebdy already produced the prototype but it is not in the mass production yet.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #45
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Sweetpea, how about the Kobo Mini? It's a 5 inch reader, but seems to be overall more compact than your BBmini, judging by the pictures.
Easy way to see if the Kobo Mini'd fit in your pockets: check its dimensions...

It's 102mm x 133mm x 10mm (4in x 5.2in x 0.4in) [and 134g/4.7oz] and should therefore be able to fit in pretty much any pocket you have (that wasn't meant for an MP3 player or keys or phone, anyways).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote