Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
starbucks042
starbucks042 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
no content when convert pdf to epub

I am new to calibre and am trying to convert some PDFs to ePUBS. I know that it can get complicated but the PDFs are just straight text and basic formatting so I'm hoping it will work pretty well.

My problem is that when I do the conversion with just the default settings the resulting ePUB has only the first page (either the cover or first page of text if no cover). There is a second page just has lines. I have tried adjusting the settings but it makes no difference. No error messages occur.

I tried converting a html document to ePUB with just the default settings and it worked perfectly.

I am using:
calibre 0.7.13
mac osx 10.4.11

the PDFs I'm trying to convert are 56 MB and larger

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem in converting PDF --> ePUB? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
starbucks042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:16 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I would guess that the PDF files do not really contain text, but instead images of the pages. Calibre is taking the first image as the cover which is why it appears to be transferring, but is then finding no text to convert. The fact that the PDF files are so large seems to make this assumption extremely likely as a PDF of a novel of 1000 pages would typically be 1MB of less if genuinely stored as text.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 02:17 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbucks042 View Post
I am new to calibre and am trying to convert some PDFs to ePUBS. I know that it can get complicated but the PDFs are just straight text and basic formatting so I'm hoping it will work pretty well.
..~~..
the PDFs I'm trying to convert are 56 MB and larger
I'm sorry I can't help but a PDF of 56MB is not a straight text and basic formatting PDF. I would guess it is a total image based PDF.

One thing you can do to see the steps calibre takes during the conversion process is, when converting options pop up, click on the debug icon (toward the bottom) and enter a empty directory. Calibre will place the initial resultant html and the html at each step of the conversion process in sub-directories of the one you list. This will allow you to take a look at the html at the various steps.

Good Luck
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion pdf pages