Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 06:15 AM   #1
jomaweb
Connoisseur
jomaweb is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
disable the initial e-Reader scanning

Hi

When I connect my Kindle to the computer, Calibre gets a looooong time to scan for books in the device. It's really annoying cause it makes impossible to operate calibre or the Kindle meanwhile.

is possible to disable that initial scanning?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Last edited by jomaweb; 01-27-2010 at 06:23 AM.
jomaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:07 AM   #2
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Yes, I hate it too. Which is why I don't connect my reader to the pc when Calibre is started. I use Calibre primarily for ebook conversion and fetching news. I don't really like to use Calibre for ebook management or transfer.

I hope there is an option to disable ebook management aspect of Calibre.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 07:24 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you go into Preferences->Plugins and find the one for your device and then select Customise you have the option to disable reading metadata from the files on the device. Selecting this speeds up the scan dramatically.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote