Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-14-2016, 12:04 PM   #1
KingAuthor
KingAuthor began at the beginning.

Device: none
Blank pages after cover image in epub file

Hi all,

Hope this is the right forum. I used Sigil to create an ebook. I've gotten everything looking and acting like I want EXCEPT the cover image. I opted to put one in my kindle version, even though I know they always open on chpt 1. Anyway, the problem is this: In Sigil, everything looks normal. When I convert to mobi using the Kindle previewer, I get two blank pages when I move from htm section #2 toward the cover image. I get one blank page when I move back toward section #2. This holds true for all kindle devices in the previewer. When I use ADE, there are no blank pages between the cover and the next page, but I get a blank page for Page #1 and a blank page immediately after my TOC. (I've just started looking at this with ADE today, but my focus is on the Kindle application) I've scoured the internet and see all kinds of confusing reasons for this, none of which I can find here. The only thing that comes close is the possibility that the cover image is too large (bleeding over) and may be creating page breaks? Here are a few sections of the code I've used.

Top (1st) section in Book Browser:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>

<title>Cold Currents</title>

</head>

<body>
<div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

Cover (2nd) html file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title>Cover</title>
</head>

<body>
<div style="text-align: center; padding: 0pt; margin: 0pt;">
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 1716 2626" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
<image height="2626" width="1716" xlink:href="../Images/Cold_Currents_front_cover.jpg"/>
</svg>
</div>
</body>
</html>

Third file down in Book Browser (section0002.htm):

<head>

<title>Cold Currents</title>

<link href="../Styles/Style0001.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/><link href="../Styles/Style0003.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/></head>

<body>
<div>
<h4>ALSO BY BYRON SUGGS</h4>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p><b><i>Rockapocalypse</i></b></p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p><b><i>Anything But</i></b></p>

</div>
</body>
</html>

Parts of Content.opf pertaining to cover:

dc:date>
<dcublisher>Fall Line Publishing</dcublisher>
<dc:rights>All Rights Reserved</dc:rights>
<meta content="Cold_Currents_front_cover.jpg" name="cover" />
<meta content="0.7.4" name="Sigil version" />
</metadata>
<manifest>
<item href="toc.ncx" id="ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml" />
<item href="Images/image001.jpg" id="image001.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<item href="Images/image002.jpg" id="image002.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<item href="Text/Section0036.htm" id="Section0036.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Images/Cold_Currents_front_cover.jpg" id="Cold_Currents_front_cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<item href="Text/cover.xhtml" id="cover.xhtml"

idref="Cold_Currents_Suggs_KindleFormat_2015A.htm" />
<itemref idref="cover.xhtml" />
<itemref idref="Section0002.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0003.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0004.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0005.htm" />
<itemref idref="TOC.xhtml" />
<itemref idref="Section0006.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0007.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0008.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0009.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0010.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0011.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0012.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0013.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0014.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0015.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0016.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0017.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0018.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0019.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0020.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0021.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0022.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0023.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0024.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0025.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0026.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0027.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0028.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0029.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0030.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0031.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0033.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0034.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0035.htm" />
<itemref idref="Section0036.htm" />
</spine>
<guide>
<reference href="Text/cover.xhtml" title="Cover" type="cover" />
<reference href="Text/TOC.xhtml" title="Table Of Contents" type="toc" />
</guide>
</package>

What can be causing these blank pages? Any suggestion would be appreciated. If I had hair it would be in tuffs around my feet.
KingAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:00 AM   #2
rubeus
Banned
rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAuthor View Post
What can be causing these blank pages? Any suggestion would be appreciated. If I had hair it would be in tuffs around my feet.
A class in the stylesheet.
rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2016, 06:18 AM   #3
KingAuthor
KingAuthor began at the beginning.

Device: none
Rubeus, please explain. I didn't think I had anything in my 3 ext Stylesheets that dealt with or would affect the cover image?
KingAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:24 AM   #4
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I don't know if that is what Rubeus meant, but you should check how many instances of "page-break-before: always" or "page-break-after: always" you have, and see if removing any of them makes a difference. It's the most likely culprit, I guess.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:09 AM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
What is the purpose of the "first section," please? A blank page, prior to the cover? What is that intended to do?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2016, 05:26 AM   #6
senhal
Connoisseur
senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle NT
Try remove:
Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
Calibre prettifier (flower icon) removes it automatically.
senhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:31 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
What is the purpose of the "first section," please? A blank page, prior to the cover? What is that intended to do?

Hitch
From what I gather it's so a Kindle will open to the cover. But I don't think it will work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:16 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
From what I gather it's so a Kindle will open to the cover. But I don't think it will work.
Well, it's possible that it will fool the big Z, but...I wouldn't bet my pennies on it.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote