Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #16
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I make kefir from the kefir grains which I bought dehydrated
http://www.culturesforhealth.com/
I bought them in a homesteaders store but they can be bought online.
Very good company IMO and have very good online chat support.

You can also get kefir grains free or cheap from craigslist. It just seemed easier for me to go to the store.

The work as advertised, takes about a week to get good kefir from rehydrated grains.

I used 1/2 the package in case I screwed up and had to start over.
They seem pretty tolerant of temperature variations and types of milk. Supposedly they work better if everything is consistent but that is more of a matter of timing. I cannot control my heat at the moment (plumber coming Monday) so it does not make kefir at a consistent 24 hours per batch.

The kefir tastes fine but sometimes there are fatty globs or it separates (due to my temperature issues or forgetting it)

I have been second fermenting it with strawberries and a bit of sugar or honey and blending it the magic bullet that I received as a gift and never used before.

Tastes just like the expensive store bought brand or Yoplait. Add a blob of ice cream and it is a really good milkshake.

I have also tried citrus, vanilla, jam, fruit syrup as flavourings. I like the strawberry the best.

It takes a small amount of effort and you will waste a quart of milk getting it going, but milk is not that pricey. You can use 2% 3.25 %, or organic or even frozen or powdered. I use 3.25 as that seems to work as good as the organic.

Pretty convinced it is good for me or else I wouldn't bother.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #17
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Thanks, Helen! I tried Craigslist in my area, but the only person out there wanted 15 dollars for the starter. I was pretty sure I could get it cheaper online. Thanks for the tips. I grow a lot of things, but I am only trying this because supposedly I need the probiotics to help with a sudden bout of eczema. I don't mind the taste and after reading up on it, lots of people swear by the various probiotics in different products (pickles, cheeses, etc). I did check the first link from Drake--they don't list the bacteria strains there, but have some other good info. I'll be checking all these other links as I go. I made yogurt a long time ago and remember it being pretty good (I was in high school. So a very long time ago!) I think I'd enjoy doing this a few times, but like a lot of projects they can get out of control. I already have a lot of gardening projects going at any given time, but I hope to work this in on a fairly regular basis.

I appreciate all the input. Thank you, all!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #18
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I did check the first link from Drake--they don't list the bacteria strains there, but have some other good info.
They actually tucked that info away on another portion of the site with the general history of yogurt and kefir instead of listing it on the back of the packet like they do with their yogurts.

As per what they say about it, their kefir starter should contain:

Quote:
Today, traditional authentic kefir can be prepared by culturing pasteurized milk with kefir starters at home. The main species of bacteria found in kefir belong to the genera of Lactococcus, Lactobacillus, Leuconostoc and Acetobacter, while yeasts are mainly Kluyveromyces marxianus and Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
And their FAQ, which is slightly buggy to access and occasionally redirects back to the main site when you click links says:

Quote:
What are the strains and yeasts found in the Yogourmet kefir starter?

The major strains found in kefir are S. Lactis, S. diacetylactis, S. cremoris, L. casei, L. acidophilus and lactic acid strains of yeasts. On top of that, there are maybe 10 or 20 other bacterial species which are present in the kefir grains that we use to prepare the starter but it is difficult for anybody to isolate and identify these specific species of bacteria.

Yeast : Saccharomyces lactis and S. cerevisiae
They do say straight up in Q15 that you can roll your own for a while by saving a quarter-cup from your last batch and using it to start the next, though of course they recommend "refreshing" the culture by starting over with a new packet of theirs from time to time.

ETA: Q13 gives much more info on exactly what goes into each of their starters, in case you want to try the yogurts, too:
Spoiler:

Quote:
The Yogourmet freeze-dried yogurt starter (Regular) contains skim milk powder, sucrose, ascorbic acid and active lactic bacteria (Lactobacillus bulgaricus (+/- 50 %), Streptococcus thermophilus(+/- 50 %), Lactobacillus acidophilus (+/- 0.01 %)). The starter contains > 1 billion active lactic bacteria per gram while the yogurt will contain +/- 1 billion active lactic bacteria per gram/milliliter.

The Yogourmet CBA freeze-dried yogurt starter with probiotics contains skim milk powder, ascorbic acid and active lactic bacteria (Lactobacillus casei (+/- 34 %), Bifidobacterium longum (+/- 49 %), Lactobacillus bulgaricus (+/- 1 %), Streptococcus thermophilus(+/- 1 %), Lactobacillus acidophilus (+/- 15 %)). The starter contains > 6 billion active lactic bacteria per gram while the yogurt will contain +/- 1 billion active lactic bacteria per gram/milliliter.

The Yogourmet freeze-dried kefir starter contains skim milk powder, ascorbic acid and active lactic bacteria and yeasts. The starter contains > 3 billion active lactic bacteria and > 50000 active lactic yeasts per gram while the kefir will contain +/- 1 billion active lactic bacteria and +/- 10000 active lactic yeasts per gram/milliliter. The major strains of active lactic bacteria are Lactococcus lactis subspecies lactis, Lactococcus lactis subspecies cremoris, Lactococcus lactis subspecies diacetylactis, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus acidophilus, while the major strains of active lactic yeasts are Saccharomyces lactis and Saccharomyces cerevisiae.

Last edited by ATDrake; 12-19-2014 at 09:19 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #19
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Drake! Yeah, I kept getting sent back to the main page. I found that second bit about the yeasts, but not the first about the bacterias. I'll keep it on my list as I compare with the other links. I really appreciate the copy/paste. I was rather flummoxed by getting the main page so often!
Old 12-20-2014, 03:17 AM   #20
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, Helen! I tried Craigslist in my area, but the only person out there wanted 15 dollars for the starter. I was pretty sure I could get it cheaper online. Thanks for the tips. I grow a lot of things, but I am only trying this because supposedly I need the probiotics to help with a sudden bout of eczema. I don't mind the taste and after reading up on it, lots of people swear by the various probiotics in different products (pickles, cheeses, etc). I did check the first link from Drake--they don't list the bacteria strains there, but have some other good info. I'll be checking all these other links as I go. I made yogurt a long time ago and remember it being pretty good (I was in high school. So a very long time ago!) I think I'd enjoy doing this a few times, but like a lot of projects they can get out of control. I already have a lot of gardening projects going at any given time, but I hope to work this in on a fairly regular basis.

I appreciate all the input. Thank you, all!
It only takes about 5 minutes a day. My problem is remembering to do it. Just dozing off and I think oh no! the kefir.
The starter is even easier I think but you have to keep buying it.

Tips:
  1. Plastic strainer is cheapest at dollar stores. I like the really small (5 inch) size.
  2. I use a plastic insulated drinking cup as they are easy to clean and the lid with the drinking hole prestrains it which I find less messy.
  3. If you are adding flavour I save fruit scraps for that. Adding fruit peels or strawberry hulls and overripe ones during second ferment is supposed to make it more potent and does make it taste good.

Helen
Advert
Old 12-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #21
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Today I'll try the store kefir with blackberries and chocolate. At least I like the taste. But then, chocolate and fruit improve many a dessert!
Old 12-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #22
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Today I'll try the store kefir with blackberries and chocolate. At least I like the taste. But then, chocolate and fruit improve many a dessert!
Good for you. I started with the store kefir, and found that it improved my digestion, sleep and some skin blemishes were gone.

My two main reasons for switching to making my own are very high cholesterol and having to take antibiotics 3 times in last 6 months. I hate antibiotics but seems the only solution.

My digestion has always been terrible even as an infant I am told. Now I can even eat beans with no after effects. And I have lost weight which I attribute to food being better digested and not sitting in my stomach for 8 hours or more.

I have eczema as well although most of it was cleared up pre kefir. The two small spots I have left seem to be shrinking.

It is pretty good stuff and won't hurt AFAIK.

Even with the store bought, take it easy for at least a week. 2 oz. a day for the first few days.

Helen
Old 12-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #23
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Digestion has never been an issue for me ( can eat just about anything in copious amounts), which is one of the reasons I never tried probiotics. I've had pretty good luck attacking skin problems lately with cod liver oil (I buy swason's double strength and take two a day). But then at the last doc visit he said that while the eczema was fading (slowly) I should do antibiotics for a month and cortisone. BOTHER. I already make my own creams and soaps. I know I will get heat rash in the summer (inevitably) and that is probably what led to the eczema. Then I read that the probiotics might help it so here I am. Most of it is gone (probably the cod liver oil because I've been taking that for two months. I just started the antibiotics and then added the kefir two days ago).

The kefir doesn't seem to be causing me any issues, but I'm drinking a cup or less to start. It's too early to tell any results. It would be okay with me if I lost a few pounds...but adding blackberries and chocolate to the kefir may not be the best for weight loss!!!

Thanks for the warning though. I will watch the amounts. No need to add to my issues, that is for certain!
Old 12-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #24
speakingtohe
Wizard

Ha ha. I have added berries, maple syrup, fruit syrup, chocolate, ice cream and various other fruit and sugar or honey. I doesn't taste bad without, but so much better with. Maybe I will do eggnog next. Tis the season. Merry Christmas.

Helen
Old 12-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #25
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Ha ha. I have added berries, maple syrup, fruit syrup, chocolate, ice cream and various other fruit and sugar or honey. I doesn't taste bad without, but so much better with. Maybe I will do eggnog next. Tis the season. Merry Christmas.

Helen
Merry Christmas to you too!!!
Old 12-31-2014, 10:08 AM   #26
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Found some goat's milk kefir on sale a couple of days ago. I haven't tried it yet because I'm finishing up the other, but I love goat's milk so I'm excited to try this. I'm sure it will need the raspberries to sweeten it.

Thanks to someone on this forum I am expecting some kefir grains too!!! WOOOT! You know who you are. You ROCK!
Old 03-29-2015, 03:06 PM   #27
erzebet
Book Author
erzebet began at the beginning.

Device: Prestigio PER3162B - busted; Kindle 3G - still working!
I make kefir by using two ingredients only: quality raw milk and a cup of store-bought kefir for the bacteria themselves. If you use such cultures, check the list of ingredients: you want the store kefir to include pasteurized milk, not UHT/ultra high temperature pasteurized milk which will spoil everything in a couple of days.

If you have eczema, there is no easy way around it but to find out what causes it. The easiest way is to get tested by an allergologist. Another easy way is to start with a basic diet(rice and some fruit) and start adding a new ingredient per week to see what you're allergic to.
I had eczema because of nickel allergy. I removed all metal accessories from my clothes and shoes. I replaced my glasses. The eczema didn't stop until I found out nickel is found in margarine (butter replacements) and did something about it. I quit all processed food. I still have allergies, but none on my skin.

Long story short, you need to see a good allergologist. They are worth their weight in gold.
erzebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:17 PM   #28
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by erzebet View Post
I make kefir by using two ingredients only: quality raw milk and a cup of store-bought kefir for the bacteria themselves. If you use such cultures, check the list of ingredients: you want the store kefir to include pasteurized milk, not UHT/ultra high temperature pasteurized milk which will spoil everything in a couple of days.

If you have eczema, there is no easy way around it but to find out what causes it. The easiest way is to get tested by an allergologist. Another easy way is to start with a basic diet(rice and some fruit) and start adding a new ingredient per week to see what you're allergic to.
I had eczema because of nickel allergy. I removed all metal accessories from my clothes and shoes. I replaced my glasses. The eczema didn't stop until I found out nickel is found in margarine (butter replacements) and did something about it. I quit all processed food. I still have allergies, but none on my skin.

Long story short, you need to see a good allergologist. They are worth their weight in gold.

I've seen two doctors; one was a dermatologist. He helped some and suggested the trial diet. So far, oats have appeared to be causing some of the problem.

The kefir did help the eczema when applied directly on the eczema. Eliminating oats helped too, but there is something still in my diet that is bothering. Just not as badly as before. So I'm working on it and it is better. The shampoos (tried 4) I was using was definitely making it worse so I'm now making my own shampoo. That has also helped with the healing.

I have also used ultra-past milk with the kefir. It works fine. It has a slightly different taste and kefir's at a different rate, but it works. I go back and forth and have even used goat's milk. Just depends what I have on hand.

Thanks for your input. This thing has been bedeviling me for two years. I'm finally making progress, but since it appears to have been more than one thing, I'm having trouble tracking down the last few triggers. It definitely flares during allergy season (now--the oak pollen is flying about fiercely). Since I make my own lotion as well, I'm tweaking that recipe to see if I can get some additional relief.

Thanks again.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #29
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I did water kefir for a while, but I got sick and tired of having to feed and tend to my culture every two to three days. It also got too warm and my culture started to take on some unpleasant characteristics, so I finally disposed of it.

That said, I really enjoy making Saurkraut and picked carrots/cauliflour, which is a LOT easier and tastes great! If you want any input on how I do that I'd be glad to share.

Oh! Pick me! Pick me! I love hot pickled cauliflower and carrots. Fire whatever reason these have become difficult to find around here lately
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:20 AM   #30
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Well, OK, now I have to come through with an explanation. :-)

I use the Pickl-It system, which is a bit pricy, but works really well. I'm sure the alternates would work just as well, but some of them aren't as good of quality.

Cauliflower and carrot is simple...

wash everything... break the florets into small pieces... slice the carrots into thin pieces about 5mm thick (I use a food processor for this!)... stuff the whole mixture into the jar, adding some bulk pickling spices and a few cloves of garlic.... add brine (per recommendations here http://www.pickl-it.com/blog/636/brine-recommendations/) and put it aside at ~20-21C for four or five days... refrigerate.... eat... :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote