Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like to see an auto update option?
Yes. 18 32.73%
No. 37 67.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2010, 02:46 AM   #1
Innomen
Innomen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
Smile Minor Gripe: Auto Update?

Search being hit or miss as usual insert stock apologies for duplication here, but...

Is there ever going to be an auto update? This app gets updated almost daily it seems like which is awesome, but having to download an installer every time and being nagged to do so is somewhat annoying.

Just sharing a minor gripe.

I love the app. Thank you
Innomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Kovid's addressed this before. Auto-update would have to be done per platform, but Calibre is a cross-platform tool. Personally, I'd rather Kovid and other developers focus on new features and other problems rather than spend time trying to solve auto-update quirks on multiple platforms.

Edit: I believe Calibre's Windows installer uses NSIS. I'm sure Kovid would welcome patches for auto-update if they are solid and just work. As such, you could look at this and see if you could patch up the installer to do auto-update.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 03:54 AM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
You left out my option: don't care.

It would be handy, but sometimes I wait a day or two after the weekly update, too, to make sure there aren't any little surprises. In any event, it's not like getting the update is such an onerous task that I need to have it automated.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:56 AM   #4
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
On Linux I made a tiny script. Now I type calibre-update and it does. Very simple.

Heck you could make it a cron job, just need something to test for. I haven't looked into it. There's got to be similar capacity in MacOS and Windows.

cap

ps: on a related note, does anyone else experience Calibre closing if you select "No" to the update popup?
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:56 AM   #5
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
On Linux I made a tiny script. Now I type calibre-update and it does. Very simple.

Heck you could make it a cron job, just need something to test for. I haven't looked into it. There's got to be similar capacity in MacOS and Windows.

cap

ps: on a related note, does anyone else experience Calibre closing if you select "No" to the update popup?
I often say no to the popup, and Calibre always stays open for me.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 06:25 AM   #6
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
I often say no to the popup, and Calibre always stays open for me.
Same here.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:05 AM   #7
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Hmmm. You guys on Ubuntu?

cap
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hmmm. You guys on Ubuntu?

cap
I just turned OFF the "Notify of New" message on Ubuntu (Linux) version

I Never want Automatic PROGRAM Updates on things I run.
Maybe I am a control freak, but I rarely have update problems I can't cure with ease, because I keep copies of at least 2 previous versions (and immediately dispose of versions) .

I got cured within the first weeks, when M$ introduced their automagic updates and it trashed my 3rd party Audio and Network. Been using Notify ONLY and Custom, ever since

Notify and notices are just fine,
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
nicholbb
nicholbb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
I would like the option but agree that this should be an opt in like MS do. Would really be of benefit if it reduces the size of download and stops that long checking for space at install on the windows version (also some of us are to cheap to go to pseudo unlimited).

Having said that it's not a deal breaking missing feature.
nicholbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #10
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
On Windows I made a tiny file. Now I click Update-Calibre-Source.bat and it does. Very simple. Very fast, but you need to run from source. It takes a bit more effort to set that up, but once it's done, it runs the same.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #11
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
The update takes time, which I sometimes don't have. I prefer the manual option so I can pick a time that's convenient.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:17 PM   #12
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I just turned OFF the "Notify of New" message on Ubuntu (Linux) version

I Never want Automatic PROGRAM Updates on things I run.
Maybe I am a control freak, but I rarely have update problems I can't cure with ease, because I keep copies of at least 2 previous versions (and immediately dispose of versions) .

I got cured within the first weeks, when M$ introduced their automagic updates and it trashed my 3rd party Audio and Network. Been using Notify ONLY and Custom, ever since

Notify and notices are just fine,
For similar reasons, I have Microsnot updates set to automatically download but not install until I review and select them. Ones I don't need (like Silverlight) don't get installed. IE upgrades (like from IE7 until IE8) get put on hold, often as long as a year or more, until I'm reasonably confident they will be compatible with websites I use. Also, since most updates require a restart, I like to pick the time that will happen.

Same for calibre (someday, I'll email you some upper case Cs, Kovid). I like to wait a day or two to make reasonably sure there are no bugs in the newest version to give me grief. And, since it takes a bit of time (even though short) to download and install the upgrade, I prefer to wait until it's convenient for me.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:13 AM   #13
Innomen
Innomen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
Angry Good grief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
You left out my option: don't care.
Don't be a moron.

If I could choose what I care about I would sit around in total bliss until my body needed tending at which point I would pour in some rice and water (which I would make my favorite food) take a cold shower (which would be my favorite activity besides sitting) and evacuate any wastes, at which point I would resume sitting in total bliss until the body needed maintenance again.

I am so sick and tired of snide "Want the same thing I want, think the same way I do." responses to problems or feature requests.

Newsflash: I'm not you and I do care. Both of which should have been obvious since you didn't type this post and I did.

Need I also alert you to water being wet and where bears typically defecate?

Anyway...

Quote:
Auto-update would have to be done per platform, but Calibre is a cross-platform tool.
That's a very good response, thanks for sharing.

I'll just turn off the notification since at its current rate of update I can expect it to want one every time I launch the app, which is pretty much whenever I've finished a book heh. I'll just bookmark the download page and launch it as a first step.

Honestly I expected there was a good reason, but still I'd like to see an auto update. But as others have said it's a very minor issue.

For the record I adore the app. It is without peer.

Thanks to the author, and to toddos for the constructive reply.

Unsubscribed.
Innomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:45 AM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Innomen, welcome to the Mobileread forums!

Please note that this is a discussion-based community and as such everyone is entitled to share his or her opinion. Even if you personally consider another person's opinion useless, please let's all remain civil and polite to each other.

Thank you.

Alexander
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The main difficulty, as has been pointed out is that this is a very platform dependent feature to implement since internally, the calibre install looks very different on different platforms.

Another problem is that I like to code in python as much as possible and this feature cannot be implemented in python as python itself is being updated.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote