Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
wong1234
wong1234 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
sharing Kindle account = sharing Amazon account?

I bought a second Kindle for my son. I am planning for his Kindle to be under my Kindle account so we can share book. He is going to England and will not have access to Whispernet so I guess he has to purchase book through his PC. I have never done that before.

Will he has to sign on amazon.com using my password for my account? If so, is there a way to limit him just to buy book for Kindle and not buy all sort of other stuff (like a high end camera) using my amazon account?
wong1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Your son will have to have full access to your Amazon account to purchase books for his Kindle on his PC, which uses the "one-click" purchasing option. So yes - I guess he'd be able to then buy anything he wanted - but the acknowledgment would come to your email account.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Yep, they'll be the same account, no way to limit it as far as I know.

Is this a new Kindle? The current batch do have whispernet access for buying books in the UK (and elsewhere).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yep, it means sharing the Amazon.com account.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
If your son is likely to buy a high-end camera with your money, I think your problems may be somewhat more complex than getting the right books to the right Kindle.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
Chris Crouch
Enthusiast
Chris Crouch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3 & iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong1234 View Post
Will he has to sign on amazon.com using my password for my account? If so, is there a way to limit him just to buy book for Kindle and not buy all sort of other stuff (like a high end camera) using my amazon account?
You don't need to give him your account password.

Because his Kindle is registered to your account, he can buy books directly on the Kindle without the password, so if he really can't get Whispernet then he won't be able to buy books at all.

Unless it's an older US-only Kindle though he probably will be able to get Whispernet in the UK. I think he can only things he will be able to buy directly from the Kindle are books.

If he can't get Whispernet in the UK and he needs to be able to get new books, maybe he could email you the link and get you to buy it?

Last edited by Chris Crouch; 05-23-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Chris Crouch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle sharing