Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
Telcoman
Telcoman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Advice needed: how to better organize files on PRS-500?

Hello everybody.
I am an avid PRS-500 user and would actually like to use it more than I do. After a year or so, I have to conclude that my reading is confined to books. I would like to use the device for reports and articels also, but what's stopping me is the painful file structure on the Sony. Example: the SD card in my reader is logically organized. Eg, there is a folder called: "articles" on it. However it takes ages to find a Word file that I have placed in that folder simpy because the Sony puts it in its long list of titles and usually messes up the file name also.
Is anybody aware of a method to make the file structure on an SD card visible on the sony? Is there an alternative to Sony's own interface? And if…is there a reader on the market that does work with a better organizable filesystem?
Thanks!
Telcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:08 AM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
This tool can automatically turn your folders into collections:
https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/sonyfmngr
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Use calibre and tag 'em, which will then create collections on the reader.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
Telcoman
Telcoman began at the beginning.

Thumbs up Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
This tool can automatically turn your folders into collections:
https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/sonyfmngr
Program is wonderful, but somehow it didn't work. I followed all the steps, but no collections turn up in the Reader.
Telcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
I didn't know if I should start a new topic, when this was so similar, so I'm just going to ask here.

I'm still getting use to my PRS-505 and I haven't found a naming/organizing structure that works.

I fix the metadata of all my books in calibre before syncing them to my 505, but obviously the 505 doesn't show all of that data. I like that the series becomes a collection and all, but that still doesn't help me figure out which book comes first, second and so forth.

I don't know if this is a problem to be solved with folders or if I should name the files differently.

All I want is way to go into a folder/collection/author/whatever, and see the books in order, what is the best way to accomplish that? I tried a sample file with this format [Series Name - Book #] - [Title] but if the series name is too long then I can't see the title and so forth.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
Dick
Dick began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC (Blue); Sony PRS-600 (Black)
Setting them in the right order

You might try renaming them and putting a number at the front of the name, such as 01, 02, etc. Due to the way file names sort, that should put them in the right order, as long as you number them correctly. And it would still keep the original names after the number.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
You might try renaming them and putting a number at the front of the name, such as 01, 02, etc. Due to the way file names sort, that should put them in the right order, as long as you number them correctly. And it would still keep the original names after the number.
I considered that as well, but with out any sort of common name that they all share the files would all still be broken up, that is of course unless I viewed just the collection or something.

If I were to say view by title then, all the 01's would show up together and so forth.

Thanks for the help anyways.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Take a look at the Sony Reader Dev Corner/Enhancements for 505... the PRS+ firmware mod will let you use a File/Folder structure... and much more...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote