Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
Library Ebooks

How many of you have access to ebooks through your public library? I live in what I thought was a fairly up-to-date city but our library's latest technology is apparently audio books.

If you do have a library that offers ebooks, how long have they? Did you or anyone you know of have to broach the subject through numerous letters?

I would love if our library was in tune to technology, just wondering how best I could nudge them along, even just a little.
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
BC has a province wide one that pretty much all provincial library cards work though. I've placed a hold on one book there, but it hasn't come through yet so I'm not too familiar with how it works. I have no idea how long it's been around.

The best thing to do is just to ask them about it. If they're not planning it, it's one more voice (or letter or email) that will make them think about it. If they're already thinking about it, you might find out more. Certainly can't hurt to try!
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Eatnread
Eatnread began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (purple)
All of the county library systems around the Twin Cities only have audio books, and some librarians that I talked to didn't even seem to know about the concept of borrowing ebooks. I emailed one or two library supervisors and they talked about how it could potentially be added as an item to their proposed budget. In other words, I shouldn't hold my breath. I'm sure it doesn't hurt to periodically send some sort of request expressing interest in this service and the rationale as to why they would want to invest in it.
I had to drive down to Rochester,MN to physically apply for a library card, as they have about 670 ebooks for loaning. When I first started looking this fall, they had about 450 ebooks, 2/3 of which were mobipocket. This winter they added 250, virtually all were epub or pdf (Adobe). So now, as a MN resident, I can 'check' these books out online, and I'm good to go. I sent them an appreciation e-mail-hopefully they will continue to add more. I'm not sure how long they've had this service.
WI also has some state wide consortium of libraries with ebooks for their residents. Have you checked more than your city or county library, but looked at what the whole state may have to offer?
Eatnread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Where I live the county library is pretty tech savvy since this is a high tech area and the ebook offerings are so-so, almost all bestsellers and genre fiction. But I do have free access Safari Tech books Online and Gale Virtual Reference Library. There's also free access to a couple of databases aimed at children.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Our library system just started offering ebooks last year. The total number of books offered is just under 300 right now.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
My Seattle Public Library is awesome.
4952 - MobiPocket
4639 - Adobe ePub
9019 - Adobe PDF

But, Seattle is a high tax area. If you live in Washington State, you can buy in.

King County, in which Seattle is located, is more conservative. And it does not allow buy in. The King County Library is not great with eBooks, but not bad either.
2765 - MobiPocket
135 - Adobe ePub
3875 - Adobe PDF
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
My village doesn't have ebooks, but they have a reciprocal relationship with the Chicago Public Library. They have ebooks, popular fiction and mystery and romance.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Perhaps you can nudge your Memphis Library with some of the following benefits TO THE LIBRARY:
- eBooks are never lost
- eBooks are never late
- eBooks never have to be transported to a different branch
- eBooks never have to be inventoried
- eBooks never get defaced
- eBooks do not take up limited shelf space
- eBooks can remain available even when the demand drops off to almost zero
- And in rough economic times, the electronic library is open - even when the physical branch is closed due to budget cuts
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #9
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
Nudge them this:

The public library that offers ebook access offers fabulous reading and learning opportunities to those who might be:
- currently economically challenged and free ebooks from the library is a great thing!
- the elderly and less mobile citizens of the community who can get a book without having to arrange for a ride
- voracious readers can read to their hearts content, without worry about due dates or purchasing the books

Many other reasons are out there, of course.

I also want to say to the libraries who offer this service and in particular to my Mesa, AZ and Greater Phoenix Area Libraries....THANK YOU!
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Be sure and check the wiki forEBook Lending Libraries. There is another page full of places to get free eBooks.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #11
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

It's a fairly new resource for the Wisconsin public library system. Currently about 155 fiction titles and 110 non-fiction titles with a mix of epub and pdf files.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:27 PM   #12
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I'm reading my 3rd ebook through the New York Public Library. I don't know how long they've had it, but I hope that their Adobe EPub collection continues to grow. There are many books only available as audio, and many history books I've looked for are in Adobe PDF, which displays on my Cybook Opus but the font is too small and not dark enough for me.

Some books are available in various formats, but many are either in EPub, PDF or Mobipocket format only.

Most of the books I want to read have a waitlist, but some of those are just 2 or 3 people waiting. They have just one copy of many of these. The library notifies me of availability with an email, Then and I have up to 3 days to download and 3 weeks to keep the ebook.

I'm very pleased with this so far. I read mostly purchased or free books on Kindle, but I bought the Opus specifically for library books in EPub format.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:51 PM   #13
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
No ebooks in my town's library system, just audiobooks.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:00 AM   #14
Linda!
Enthusiast
Linda! has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Jetbook Lite
My local library is part of a consortium of libraries. They have a total of 263 ebooks, made available through the Overdrive service. I've never used them because they are protected by Adobe DRM, which my ereader cannot read.
Linda! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:24 AM   #15
neadams99
neadams99 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2, 3, KFire, Samsung Epic 4G
Whoa, I just took for granted that my local library has ebooks (a lot of 'em). I live in the Sacramento Public Library system and they are pretty forward thinking, I guess. We get access to Many digital formats: WMA, Mp3, EPUB, PDF, and Mobi too. What a lucky break.

Of course, you'll have to read them on the PC with ADE or the free Kindle for PC app. Unless, you go to the time-comsuming and troublesome process of removing the DRM first. Then you can download to the Kindle and delete when you're done reading.

In order to get other titles--I also use my old address (at my folk's home in a different county in CA) to access their library and check out ebooks in all of the formats they have. If you know someone (really well and they trust you) in a town with a good digital collection in their public library then you can ask to use their address to obtain an elibrary cared and check out ebooks that way too.
neadams99 is offline   Reply With Quote