Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
nick_f
nick_f doesn't litternick_f doesn't litter

Device: sony prs 505
Sharing Help

Hiya all ive searched forum and cant find my specific situation so please help me

Ive just got my wife an PRS 505 for valentines day and i want to set it up so she can access her sisters ebooks who lives down in kent (were up north)
I dont want to mess it up so she cant do this what do i have to do and what does he sister have to do to make this work in lamens terms please
nick_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_f View Post
Hiya all ive searched forum and cant find my specific situation so please help me

Ive just got my wife an PRS 505 for valentines day and i want to set it up so she can access her sisters ebooks who lives down in kent (were up north)
I dont want to mess it up so she cant do this what do i have to do and what does he sister have to do to make this work in lamens terms please
Hello, Nick, and welcome to MobileRead.

Hang in there, someone will soon jump in with an appropriate answer.

In the meantime, be sure and check out all the free books we have here for downloading, and the different forums.

Much info on your 505 here.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
nick_f

hey thanx for the welcome hopefully someone will help
As iam confused as firstly they will use different PCs ?
Secondly whats the adode/ sony account thingy?
Old 02-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

Basically you will need to download and install the Sony eBook Library software first then Adobe Digital Editions. You will need to register your PC to your sister-in-laws Adobe ID (so you will need her credentials). Once you have done that you will need to register the reader.. just plug it in while DE is running. DE should see it and prompt you to register it.

Once you do that your wife and sister-in-law will be able to share purchased ebooks. (I assume that is what you were going for?)

BOb

BTW: Welcome to Mobileread.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
nick_f

Hey bob thanx for your help so will her sister in law have to do anything other than give us her account details?
Is there two accounts we need to piggyback on then a sony connect and an adobe account?
sorry to be a pain!
can i still register the e reader in my wifes name?
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hey bob thanx for your help so will her sister in law have to do anything other than give us her account details?
Is there two accounts we need to piggyback on then a sony connect and an adobe account?
sorry to be a pain!
can i still register the e reader in my wifes name?
I don't think she will need to do anything else no.

You can't use Sony Connect [store] in the UK. (I am assuming you are in the UK because you said "Kent".)

I'm not sure if you can register in a different name than you authorize to. But it might be possible. If you register to Sony first, then authorize to DE. Give it a try.

BOb
Old 02-11-2009, 01:42 AM   #7
nick_f

Hey oh right so do we not use a sony account in the uk then?
Iam confused if we dont use sony what do we use to get books on the reader and what account do i piggyback on?
Old 02-11-2009, 05:12 AM   #8
nick_f

What software do i use in the uk to buy and install books? sony or adobe digital?
Old 02-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
nick_f

As iam a bit confused(very easy to do!)
Can someone please tell me what adode digital is? what sony connect is?
Is it either/or? how do the two differ?
please help
Old 02-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sony Connect is the old name for eBook Library. And the name of the Sony eBook store is called The eBookStore at Sony.

Adobe Digital Editions is what you use to register your 505 so it can view ePub and PDF with DRM. In order to be able to share eBooks, you'll need to use your sister's registration info in order to be allowed to view her eBooks. Then after that, anyone in DRM laden ePub or PDF that you purchase you'll be able to share.

To find out more about Adobe Digital Editions, just go to http://www.adobe.com to find out more.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hey oh right so do we not use a sony account in the uk then?
Iam confused if we dont use sony what do we use to get books on the reader and what account do i piggyback on?
Right, you can not buy books from the Sony eBook Store in the UK. The UK Sony software is actually just a web browser pointed to the Waterstones web store. And unlike the Sony ebook US store you can purchase the eBooks right from the Web browser.

So, you could probably each have a separate Waterstone account but have both DE's registered to the same AdobeID. (Someone will have to verify this that acutally buys at Waterstones)

What happens is when you buy a book at Waterstones and download it the MIME type for the books kicks in and DE actually is run. (A MIME type is a registration in your Windows OS that tells it which application to use to run/handle certain file types).

When DE downloads the file it actually send the Adobe ID info to the web site which encrypts it for that ID and then sends the file. This is what ties that eBook to your Adoboe ID and any devices registered to that ID will be able to read that book.

HTH,
BOb
Old 02-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What software do i use in the uk to buy and install books? sony or adobe digital?
You don't have to buy any software. The Sony software and the Adobe Digital Editions (DE) software is free for the download. You will be able to buy using your Web Browser, but you will need DE to download it. See my previous message.

The only reason you NEED to even install the Sony software is to install the driver that DE uses to talk to the Sony Reader device. You never even need to run it and use DE to manage all your Books and downloads.

BOb

PS: Not to overly confuse you but you can also buy from other stores like Fictionwise.com and booksonboard.com if you can learn how to remove the DRM. There are many threads here about doing this.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hey guys, I'm just thinking out loud here about alternative booksellers to the Sony store.

If they register both books with Fictionwise and the same account profile, can't they just download non-DRM stuff pretty easily?

That's what my friend was able to do with the EBW1150 I gave her when I got my 505. She can access my old bookshelf that I still use and her new one, whichever she chooses.

Just a thought.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #14
nick_f

hey bob so is this right then i install sony on the pc as a bridge from adobe to the sony reader?
Then i use adobe to purchase my ebooks and to ut them on the reader?
So will my sony account be in my wifes name, then the adobe account be her sisters so she can use her ebooks? is that correct?
Why cant the uk use sony?
Old 02-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
If they register both books with Fictionwise and the same account profile, can't they just download non-DRM stuff pretty easily?
I think they could each have a separate account at Fictionwise and still download Secure Adobe books and share them if they use the same AdobeID.

Just as I am sure if you use the same MS Passport to register two separate MS Readers you could share books between them no matter which store or account you used to buy them.

BOb