Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Kindle .azw1 file

One of my recent purchases from Amazon had an .azw1 file extension rather than .azw. Anyone else run into one of these or have any idea what the difference is?

Out of curiosity I tried running it through mobidedrm and it was rejected as an unknown file type.

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I think this is one of their "Topaz" files. Out of curiosity, what book is it?

Edit: According to the wiki -

Topaz

This is an Amazon format for Kindle devices. It differs from the AZW format in that it can have embedded fonts in the file itself. A .tan sidefile is used to store metadata and bookmarks and other user generated content on the eBook. The metadata is used to help the library mode to reference information about the eBook itself.

While not much is currently known about the internal format used in a Topaz file there is some likelihood that it is a modification of the standard AZW format. It uses a different compression than standard MOBI files and it can have embedded fonts in the file allowing more complex display using font sets and characters that are not standard to Kindle. It is also likely to remove other restrictions found in MOBI files such as image size limitations although some of these may have been removed in AZW as well.

AZW1
This is an eBook in the Topaz (TPZ) format that has been delivered via Whispernet.

TPZ
This is an eBook in the Topaz format that that been delivered via Internet download.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
bwit
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
I think this is one of their "Topaz" files. Out of curiosity, what book is it?
It is:
Joe Celko's SQL for Smarties: Advanced SQL Programming (Kindle Edition)

Edit:
Thanks for the Wiki info, I didn't think to look there and that is very interesting.

Bob
Old 08-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Hmm...I had read in one of the posts that Topaz was being used in some technical categories of books, so that title goes along with that info.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
bwit
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Hmm...I had read in one of the posts that Topaz was being used in some technical categories of books, so that title goes along with that info.
One of the problems I've had with technical books on the Kindle is that figures and tables are often unreadable. Now that you mention it, this book does seem to be somewhat better in that respect.

Bob
Advert