Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-05-2014, 05:59 AM   #1
Wrongway
Enthusiast
Wrongway began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 1, Kindle kb, Kobo Aura HD, kobo Mini
Line spacing confusion

I have a Kobo Mini which I have had for a few days. Great little device, but I am a bit confused over line spacing. I downloaded a txt file and converted it to epub format in Calibre before side loading into the Mini. When I came to look at the book it had quite a large line spacing which I could only make reasonable by lowering the font line spacing setting to the lowest on the Kobo. I seem to be defaulted to the Georgia font. However I loaded another epub file that I had downloaded but not converted and the line spacing seemed more of what I would expect. I tried line spacing on this file and it seemed to have no effect. This is what confused me. How come line spacing works on one epub file but not another.

Is Georgia the usual default font and the best one to use?
Wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:11 AM   #2
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kobo honours the settings the file authors have set, so if they've specified a line spacing then that's used and it's not adjustable for the section of text it's specified on. If they haven't then you can pick from a range available. I do agree that range is too biased towards larger line spacing and some smaller options would be nice, but it works well enough on the minimum setting.
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2014, 06:25 AM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Further to EndlessWaves' explaination:

For books where the line spacing is not adjustable, you can edit the book's CSS stylesheet to remove the line-height property from the paragraph styles used for the main text, and that will allow the line spacing to be adjusted on the device.

You can also install a patch specific to your device's firmware version that will allow your own choice of line spacing values to be selected by the adjustment slider, instead of the ones chosen by Kobo which are really just too wide.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:23 AM   #4
Wrongway
Enthusiast
Wrongway began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 1, Kindle kb, Kobo Aura HD, kobo Mini
Thank's for that Endless and Geoff. Makes a lot more sense now. It's fine left on the lowest setting. I was just confused why some could be changed and some couldn't. I am slowly getting used to the Kobo's after using a Kindle for so long. I have had the mini a week and bought an Aura HD yesterday.
Wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote