Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
Onyx M92 Won't Trun Off

My brand new M92 just arrived, and it looks great!

Yet it would be nice if I could also turn it off, and/or change it's current page.
Trying to connect to the Internet I chose my router which appeared on the M92 screen, and set it to WPA2, the setting I have on my notebook. M92 seemed to begin making the connection, but to make sure I then also filled in my PSK code, just as I had done on my notebook.
I then choose Onyx International of the only 2 icons on the browser screen, the other one being the Wikipedia. It started to connect it seems, but it has been a while now, and it still says:

"Connecting to www.onyx.international.com
Please wait..."

No matter what I do, nothing changes. It doesn't respond to the pen, nor to any of the buttons. Not even to the Off button, or pushing the reset button with a blunt pin for 10 seconds.

Now what...?

Last edited by Lode; 01-26-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Are you sure you pressed the reset button correctly? On the old A60 model this isn't a button you press for a period of time, but it needs to "click". And you need some force to move it. Just saying cause I had this problem the first time I needed to use it and was wondering, did I press it already or not.
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for responding so quickly!

A minute ago I pushed the Off button again, and this time it turned off. Turning it on again and pressing the Home button I have the home page on it again... back in business to continue the discovery journey.

Last edited by Lode; 01-26-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:37 AM   #4
Lode
Zealot

PS:
I noticed when going on-line one has to be patient. Let it run its course. Otherwise freezes might happen. Luckily there is always the reset option on the back.

I prefer to choose "Wiki" when going online instead of "Onyx" as I don't read Chinese anyway. Sometimes after going to Wiki "Searching" appears and nothing seems to happen for a while. Then hitting the X in the top right corner immediately gives the Wiki page.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lode View Post
PS:
I noticed when going on-line one has to be patient. Let it run its course. Otherwise freezes might happen. Luckily there is always the reset option on the back.
That of course does not do anything to your enthusiasm ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lode View Post
PS:

I prefer to choose "Wiki" when going online instead of "Onyx" as I don't read Chinese anyway. Sometimes after going to Wiki "Searching" appears and nothing seems to happen for a while. Then hitting the X in the top right corner immediately gives the Wiki page.
Yes, if you start the browser on the onyx web page it tries to show you the animated content (running news or slideshows) and it looks funny It takes ages and is obviously somehow stupid. Just go to version 1.7 and you can add your own start pages (like google.com e.g.)
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Lode
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
That of course does not do anything to your enthusiasm ...
I tested browsing out pretty thoroughly today. Even posting a few lines on this forum with it.
I went back and forth trying different things, often fast, switching from one to the other, mixing things up, before I realized some things need to be given some time not to make a knot in them when browsing, calling up the keyboard, typing user name and password, scrolling pages up and down, hitting different buttons on the website, etc. But after calming down a bit now I know how to make it work smoothly during browsing.

But I don't really need to do any of that, as I have a notebook for it. I was just curious.

After copying a few PDFs on the M92 from my notebook, I am beginning to appreciate the calmness of reading on it, instead of on the much bulkier heavier machine, and its bright glare. I even toned down the brightness of it, but then it doesn't really look good.
My laptop is for surfing, downloading, and watching videos. In bright colours. But my M92 is much better for reading. In my experience.

Last edited by Lode; 01-27-2012 at 05:28 PM.