Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #61
Trystran
Trystran began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox

So after a great deal of trial and error - I'm just that technologically inept - I was able to find the 'Root Explorer' box which had to be clicked, and the system/app folder that all the Market related apps had to get transfered into.

Just one small glitch - when I click the 'Root Explorer' box, it tells me that 'this feature cannot run on my phone'.

Huh? It's a Kobo Vox for crying out loud... is the little android in my reader confused?

I know I am.. and frustrated. All I want to do is be able to download an app and read my comics..

sigh..

thanks in advance all!
Trystran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #62
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Have to ask the obvious question: you successfully rooted your vox first?
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #63
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Trystan; remember that the version of Android on the Vox was really designed for phones and that it's safe to say most App Developers are having to adjust to Android on devices OTHER than phones!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #64
Trystran

@Mr. Nobody - please define 'successfully'? If you mean - did I find the 'clickk box' that said - do this - then yes I did. Did I get any sort of confirmation that what I had asked it to do happened, then No.

It kept on saying 'you can't do this'.

So is there a way that I *can* do this? If so, it would be most helpful.

@Peter - Oh I understand. But I'm a rather picky consumer, and when I'm handed a product that can only do half a thing that it's promised to do, I get rather 'crabby'. And in this case, I had purchased the Vox with the understanding that I *could* read comics digitally. If it weren't for that, I'd have stuck with the original Kobo, which handled my black & white books just fine.

But yes, I do understand, and feel a certain amount of sympathy for the Devs that are faced with an over-educated market, where the average 12 year old is able to programm their tech better than they are.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #65
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

I'm not following you at all. Did you run Gingerbreak?
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #66
Trystran

and I don't mean to be obtuse.

To answer the question - no, I did not run Gingerbreak. Will running it be a fairly straight forward process? Or will I require special instructions?

and thanks again btw
Old 01-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #67
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Before you follow danifunker's market instructions, you should follow jefftheworld's Rooting your Vox guide:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156185

It goes very clearly through the steps you need to take prior to installing market. As I said, once you get to the market part, I will be unable to help since I have not followed the current instructions. I just want to make sure you have accomplished the necessary preparation (and to be clear, you cannot skip steps in any of these instructions...there is no shortcut).
Old 01-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #68
Trystran

Darn!

I will attempt to follow that through tomorrow.

Thank you again, so very very much. No doubt I will be back here sometime tomorrow knocking my head against the wall in my frustration over my inability to follow computer instructions and begging for help.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #69
Crimsoncat
Crimsoncat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
I went through and followed danifunker's instructions to the letter, and now my Vox won't turn on. My device was rooted, and I had no issues at all with the directions until the 'reboot' step at the very end. My little kobo light keeps flashing green, but I can't get the stubborn thing to boot.

Any ideas?
Crimsoncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #70
mr_nobody
Evangelist

I am a little concerned that there are actually two sets of instructions in this thread. There are some early instructions in post #3 for an earlier version of the firmware. The current instructions are these:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=33

Which did you follow?
Old 01-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #71
Crimsoncat

I followed the one you lined to, posted by danifunker, from start to finish. I ignored the earlier one, since it mentioned it was no longer woking due to a firmware update.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #72
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Okay then, I'm out of ideas. Bueller?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #73
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Vox
CrimsonCat,

That's starnge, did you ensure you changed all of the permissions? A couple of other things I would try would be to try and do a factory reset (Vol UP + PWR button), also remove any SD Cards and try to boot. Please note, I've tried these instructions on 2 Kobo Voxes and have re-performed those instructions countless times.

The last resort would be to use a Linux machine with the Android and try to push the update back to the device to effectivly factory reset the system (note, the "factory reset" that I mentioned in the above paragraph only removes all user data, it does not truely reset the /system partition back to defaults). Another user on the forum supplied me with the files maybe that can help (but maybe not)...
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #74
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Vox
I am considering to create a program that will perform all the the necessary tasks in order to get this to hapen, or at least the bulk of the stuff that has to get done after the gingerbreak has been sucessfully run, but I don't have much experience with programming on Android, nor have much experience with programming Java. I know it would help our little community out a lot though, which is why I would like to contribute to it
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #75
Crimsoncat

I'm sure I missed something somewhere. I have no doubt that your instructions were fine, it's completely a user error on my end. It's just one with a horrific result

I have tried a factory reset with no luck. There isn't an sd card in there, so that's ok. As a last resort I even tried the hard reset button under the back panel. I'm getting the flashing green light but it's refusing to boot. I had it plugged in for awhile wondering if it might be a low battery issue. I'm sure it's a setting that wasn't properly adjusted but without it powering on I have no idea how to fix it. I'm at my wits end.