Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
kindle hacks

Has anyone recommended to Amazon that they take the hacks and add them to the firmware? The code is already written all they need to do is to put it in.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:16 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I don't really think Amazon wants these hacks to be applied, it would explain why they stopped us.

Not to mention -- USBNetwork, Rescue Pack, CRP, offer entry points into the OS (by design), the fonts hack is very fragile, KUAL and related hacks are mostly things that run decidedly odd stuff as well -- scripts for stuff that people wanted on the spur of the moment, cross-compiled binaries for just about anything, none of which are a candidate for Amazon inclusion.

No sure why they don't have decent screensavers, and we will probably never find out -- they aren't answering our calls.

Also:
Discussion about hacks belongs in the Developer's Corner. Moved.

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-16-2015 at 08:20 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2015, 09:03 PM   #3
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Hm - sounds like trying to tell "those Linux people" that they should use that particular desktop or that editor...

At least we CAN modify most of our devices! Thanks again to all the people who make it possible! A thousand cheers!
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
Yes, jbcohen, I have said to them I'd like my own screensavers.
As with anything I've ever said to amazon I got the same tinned answer:
"We'll direct your suggestions to the relevant department."
That has been with every kindle generation released since the touch.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Amazon wants Kindle software to be simple and as featureless as possible. Many people have asked for more options to how eBooks look and Amazon has ignored these requests. Basically, if you want more control over your eBooks, you'll need to go to another brand Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2015, 10:27 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
Hm - sounds like trying to tell "those Linux people" that they should use that particular desktop or that editor...

At least we CAN modify most of our devices! Thanks again to all the people who make it possible! A thousand cheers!
People who now buy a PW2, Kindle, and Voyage CANNOT modify anything on their devices. Amazon seems to have done a good job plugging the holes that were once used to jailbreak in firmware 5.6.x.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:42 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
Yes, jbcohen, I have said to them I'd like my own screensavers.
As with anything I've ever said to amazon I got the same tinned answer:
"We'll direct your suggestions to the relevant department."
That has been with every kindle generation released since the touch.
People want more font control, more margin control, and more line spacing control and Amazon's response is to turn a dead ear.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #8
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
People who now buy a PW2, Kindle, and Voyage CANNOT modify anything on their devices. Amazon seems to have done a good job plugging the holes that were once used to jailbreak in firmware 5.6.x.
Actually, I was able to adjust the font sizes on my Voyage thanks to a mod found by the poster ecostin and documented in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=256969

Sooo...it's actually NOT true that people with a Voyage can't modify anything on their devices. There's also another person reporting that they were able to install alternative fonts onto a device with a firmware version higher than 5.6.1, but so far no details or confirmation.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:16 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Actually, I was able to adjust the font sizes on my Voyage thanks to a mod found by the poster ecostin and documented in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=256969

Sooo...it's actually NOT true that people with a Voyage can't modify anything on their devices. There's also another person reporting that they were able to install alternative fonts onto a device with a firmware version higher than 5.6.1, but so far no details or confirmation.

Shari
Amazon has a history of removing those sorts of hacks that do not require jailbreaking. So I expect that someday that font size hack will be going away.

Also, you can keep your jailbreak if you update to 5.6.x with the jailbreak in place. But without the jailbreak in place if you update, you cannot jailbreak.

What really surprises me is that nobody has make an alternate firmware for Kindles where you don't need to jailbreak and you have all the features many people want.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What really surprises me is that nobody has make an alternate firmware for Kindles where you don't need to jailbreak and you have all the features many people want.
It is called Duokan. And unsurprisingly, it requires being jailbroken to install...
How else do you think one can reconfigure the bootloader and/or install custom software AND firmware???
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote