Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
Demented
Connoisseur
Demented began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, Nook, Cybook Original
Connecting to Calibre Web Catalog

Is it possible to connect to my Calibre server over the internet or in home over my network with either the default software or by installing a third party app? I'm considering buying a DRS-800 and I'd like to make use of that functionality.
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
Is it possible to connect to my Calibre server over the internet or in home over my network with either the default software or by installing a third party app? I'm considering buying a DRS-800 and I'd like to make use of that functionality.
Officially, the 3G network capability is only authorized for use with the built in eBookMall sites. There is language in the ToS that says you're not supposed to use it for 3rd party apps or other unauthorized sites. The reason for that is the bandwidth charges from Verizon are built into the eBookMall purchases.

Will Verizon or iRex actually cut off your 3G connectivity for unauthorized uses... I don't know. In theory they could.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
Mr. X
Connoisseur
Mr. X is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex DR800SG
Also the DR800S (there is no DRS-800) has no networking capabilities at all, so it can't connect to Calibre that way...
Mr. X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
Also the DR800S (there is no DRS-800) has no networking capabilities at all, so it can't connect to Calibre that way...
Good point. I just assumed they were talking about the DR800SG. Hard to tell from their question though.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
Demented
Connoisseur
Demented began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, Nook, Cybook Original
Well shit, I thought it had wifi as well as 3G. My mistake.
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard

Supposedly there is eventually going to be a WiFi version of the DR800. However, there was also supposed to be a WiFi DR1000 and we haven't seen any signs of it in a year and a half.