Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
SerbanZ
SerbanZ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
.chm to .mobi or .pdf conversion results are not good. help please!

Ok. So I've got this new Kindle eReader and I've installed Calibre for some book conversions. There are 2 books: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 17th Edition and Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 18th Edition around 400 mb in .chm format and when I convert them to .pdf/.mobi it results in 1.3 mb or 300 kb in .mobi format. When I read them on my reader it shows only the first 20-30 pages instead of 8000. I can see the Table of Contents. Can someone explain why is this happening please? And if there is somewhat a solution?

P.S.: I tried the conversions on other PCs too.
SerbanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
jjpbm
jjpbm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbanZ View Post
Ok. So I've got this new Kindle eReader and I've installed Calibre for some book conversions. There are 2 books: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 17th Edition and Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 18th Edition around 400 mb in .chm format and when I convert them to .pdf/.mobi it results in 1.3 mb or 300 kb in .mobi format. When I read them on my reader it shows only the first 20-30 pages instead of 8000. I can see the Table of Contents. Can someone explain why is this happening please? And if there is somewhat a solution?

I had the exact and same problem! And I'm trying to work the very same books! So, I'm sorry for making my first intervention in this forum a request but some help is really needed!
Thanks!
jjpbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpbm View Post
I had the exact and same problem! And I'm trying to work the very same books! So, I'm sorry for making my first intervention in this forum a request but some help is really needed!
Thanks!
Try Googling for a free chm > html converter. There are a few out there, and different ones give different results with different files, so I can't recommend any particular one.

The converter will extract the files from the CHM, leaving you with a folder of html files. Open the index file in your browser to test the results. If you get good results, then use calibre to convert the html to your desired format. Be aware that your navigation options in the resulting ebook will vary depending on what the format supports. You may have to do further work in Sigil (also free).

Really large CHM files can be tricky. I have some electronic copies of codes and regulations that came in CHM format, and it took me a week to get a good conversion that worked properly.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
jjpbm
jjpbm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Try Googling for a free chm > html converter. There are a few out there, and different ones give different results with different files, so I can't recommend any particular one.

The converter will extract the files from the CHM, leaving you with a folder of html files. Open the index file in your browser to test the results. If you get good results, then use calibre to convert the html to your desired format. Be aware that your navigation options in the resulting ebook will vary depending on what the format supports. You may have to do further work in Sigil (also free).

Really large CHM files can be tricky. I have some electronic copies of codes and regulations that came in CHM format, and it took me a week to get a good conversion that worked properly.
Thanks for your answer. I had already extracted the HTML files from CHM (I used CHM decoder). The results were nice but now I don't really know how to convert it into MOBI with calibre? Which file do I use: the HTML file or the whole folder generated with CHM decoder? Thanks!
jjpbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpbm View Post
Thanks for your answer. I had already extracted the HTML files from CHM (I used CHM decoder). The results were nice but now I don't really know how to convert it into MOBI with calibre? Which file do I use: the HTML file or the whole folder generated with CHM decoder? Thanks!
Use the add books function, and point calibre at the index.html or whichever file contains the links to the other content. More info on how calibre reads this file can be found here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....specific-order

Once calibre imports the content based on that file, it will show up as a book in your library, which you can then convert.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
DrPrince
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbanZ View Post

I have exactly the same problem with the exact book!!!

Any help
Old 07-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #7
DrPrince
Nameless Being

Chm to Mobi problem

I use Kindle Touch eReader and I've installed latest Calibre on my PC.

Want to convert Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 18th Edition around 400 mb in .chm format and when I convert them to .mobi it results in 1.3 mb or 300 kb in .mobi format. When I read them on my reader it shows only the first 20-30 pages instead of 8000. I can see the Table of Contents. Can someone explain why is this happening please? And if there is somewhat a solution?
Old 07-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPrince View Post
I have exactly the same problem with the exact book!!!
Have you tried the solution provided in the jjpbm & CWatkinsNash's posts ?

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #9
DrPrince
Nameless Being

Tried but calibre convert just the source page!
Old 07-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

did you convert the CHM to HTML using CHM Decoder ?

BR

BTW - please don't ask the same question in different places - it annoys the people who give freely of their own time to help solve your problems
Old 07-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #11
DrPrince
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
did you convert the CHM to HTML using CHM Decoder ?

BR

BTW - please don't ask the same question in different places - it annoys the people who give freely of their own time to help solve your problems
I use chm decoder...
Just putting the question in the proper section "conversion"
Old 07-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Just putting the question in the proper section "conversion"
If you find you have put a message in a wrong section, send a PM to an active moderator (list at the bottom of the main forum) and ask it be moved to Section or a forum
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:38 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
I use chm decoder...
And did you do what CWatkinsNash suggested in post #5 ?

If you did and you still have problems then please provide the details as per this sticky thread ==>> How to ask a question about conversion problems

BR
Old 07-02-2014, 03:15 AM   #14
DrPrince
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If you find you have put a message in a wrong section, send a PM to an active moderator (list at the bottom of the main forum) and ask it be moved to Section or a forum
ok ,Thank you and sorry for any inconvenience
Old 07-02-2014, 03:54 AM   #15
DrPrince
Nameless Being

chm decoder generate a table of content with java tree so calibre is not recognizing java

when i convert just one page it is okay