Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 03:04 AM   #61
Aladyleyna
Zealot
Aladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notes

Device: iPad 1
Wow, those are huge! I'm never going to complain about the size of my iPad ever again.

But I probably won't use it though. I prefer something that I can just slide into a bag and carry around. And for taking notes, I prefer pen and paper. Typing on the iPad is too slow, and using a stylus makes my notes look extremely messy.
Aladyleyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:31 AM   #62
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Taking notes with a Wacom stylus is just like pen and paper, but actually a lot less messy since you can easily erase mistakes, or clean it up afterwards. The pen on my laptop is perfect, turn it over and the top works as an eraser. Though that won't work on every system.

The lines a pen makes on a capacitive screen usually are too thick.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:49 AM   #63
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Prime View/Eink holdings has been unable to increase the yield sufficiently for plastic production. look to PL and Polymer Vision
What is the problem?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #64
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
because they can build plastic transistors.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #65
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
What is the problem?
they have to create the display on glass and then "slice" it off the glass to have the flexible display.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #66
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
they have to create the display on glass and then "slice" it off the glass to have the flexible display.
But this is if they are looking for flexible display. If they just focus on getting the result on plastic, even if it's rigid, they would get a product with less weight, right?
Old 07-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #67
Dulin's Books
Wizard

i nearly forgot about LG. They have shown both 11.5" and 19" diagonal eink panels built on metal foil. remember Skiff?

Well, LG had it in their quarterly reports that the 11.5 was "in production"(which i believe means they have made a test run with adequate yield) and the 19" would soon be ready as well. So LG is capable now of producing large robust eink panels. LG has a year-old partnership with iRiver for Eink device production as well.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #68
Koda
Connoisseur
Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: 13" E-ink reader
E-ink should already be able to produce 12.1" panels as stated on their site (there is even a sort of prototype e-Textbook by SurfaceInk with this screen).
About the Skiff Reader, yes, that would be perfect... If we were talking about UFOs instead of eReaders or Tablet I would have said there's a sort of coverup for >9.7" readers
Dozens of prototypes all discontinued, vanished or vapourwared
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #69
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
remember Skiff?
Is that still around? I found chargers for it, but not the actual device.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #70
Dulin's Books
Wizard

no. the distribution platform was sold and the hardware never developed
Old 07-06-2011, 06:09 AM   #71
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paper & electrophoretic
Just bringing my own experience to the discussion, on the issue of weight and fragility. I own a 9" device (Asus), which weighs around 450g without the cover, and 650 with. This sounds like a lot (to me it did), but thankfully I found out that it is not an issue. I often read on the move, but usually I find myself sitting on some public transport with the device on my knees, so weight is not a problem. Even when I am standing, the weight is not difficult to support (after all, what's the weight of a meaty paperback?).
I would gladly switch to a 12"/1kg unit, if it was available at a reasonable price. The weight would remain tolerable and I would get back the priceless possibility to read A4 documents without the need to zoom and/or pan. Let's suppose that a 12", glass-backed electrophoretic panel weighs 200g more than a 9" one (just guessing, but I think I am overestimating). This means that, starting from my Asus' specifications, such a device would have a weight of 650g, plus (say) 50 more for the larger enclosure. All in all, 700g, but *not taking into consideration the need for increased sturdiness* associated to a larger display. However, the remaining 300g (to reach my target weight of 1kg) should be more than enough to engineer in such sturdiness.
(Just an idea: using 150 of those 300g to add a very rigid backplane, and the remaining 150g for a hinged, rigid lid/cover that can be locked at the edges either to the screen side or to the rear of the device. This would provide increased resistance to flexion and full protection to the screen.)
BoldlyDubious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:46 AM   #72
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldlyDubious View Post
I would gladly switch to a 12"/1kg unit, if it was available at a reasonable price. The weight would remain tolerable and I would get back the priceless possibility to read A4 documents without the need to zoom and/or pan.
A4 is actually 14" in diagonal. The 9.7" screens are actually close to A5. The devices look bigger because they have the bezel. In order to read A4 documents without zoom and/or pan you need a device that has a A4 size screen. That means more than double the size of your current one, which would reflect on the weight in the same way.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:36 AM   #73
Koda
Connoisseur
Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: 13" E-ink reader
I think he was speaking about screen sizes. A 12" would surely feel more confortable than a 9.7" in reading A4 and even if not reaching the actual A4 size I think 13.1" is the perfect screen size.
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #74
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
I think he was speaking about screen sizes.
I think so too. I mentioned the bezel because it makes the screen seem larger. The 9.7" screens are smaller than A5. Just looking at my device I wouldn't say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
A 12" would surely feel more confortable than a 9.7" in reading A4 and even if not reaching the actual A4 size I think 13.1" is the perfect screen size.
Yes, it would feel more comfortable, but it would still require zoom and/or pan. He said that he wants a device that is big enough so it wouldn't need that.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #75
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paper & electrophoretic
I was talking about screen size, of course.
For an A4 document with typical margins 12" is just right, if the document has been cropped (by the device) to fit text width to screen width.
(BTW, with a 9" screen and cropping you *can* read an A4, if the text is not too small; but reading academic papers without zooming is excluded.)
BoldlyDubious is offline   Reply With Quote