Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
crankymom
crankymom began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
Use Nook to Check out Libary Books without Computer?

Hi all -

The $149 price of the Wifi only Nook has blown my away. I love my Sony 505 and will keep it, but I have a question for Nook owners. If I want to check out a book from my library through overdrive on a Nook, can I check out and download the book directly to the Nook without having to use ADE on my computer? Being able to directly borrow and download books from my libary to an e-reader is my ideal. If there is any device that can do this, I would buy it today.
crankymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
kdittyr
uber noob
kdittyr began at the beginning.

Device: nook, iPhone
That's a good question, though I believe the answer is no (please correct me if I am wrong as I would love this functionality as well). It is my understanding that you have to go through ADE as that is what actually requests the temporary license for the book and then puts it on the nook.
kdittyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Disclaimer: I do not own a Nook.

Doesn't the nook support adobe drm? then it should in theory support adobe digitals edition, if it has a clock and it can be sideloaded with content then it should support library books.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
kdittyr
uber noob
kdittyr began at the beginning.

Device: nook, iPhone
It does support library books, however, I believe she was asking if it could download library books directly to the nook without having to use a computer.
kdittyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankymom View Post
Hi all -

The $149 price of the Wifi only Nook has blown my away. I love my Sony 505 and will keep it, but I have a question for Nook owners. If I want to check out a book from my library through overdrive on a Nook, can I check out and download the book directly to the Nook without having to use ADE on my computer? Being able to directly borrow and download books from my libary to an e-reader is my ideal. If there is any device that can do this, I would buy it today.
AFAIK, you cannot checkout and download ebooks from a library directly on to the nook through wifi. You still need to authorize books to the nook through the Adobe Digital Editions program on your computer, and then sideload to nook. I've had a nook and tried to download directly onto v1.2; I haven't heard of anyone accomplishing this on any of the later versions, either.
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankymom View Post
Hi all -

I have been advise the Nook browser does not have download capabilities. While you may not need ADE on your computer, I believe you need to connected the Hook to a computer to transfer to downloaded titles to it.
I've been able to transfer some by Drag N Drop to the Nook, or the folder I want the epub to go in, and I've been able to access DRM'ed Adobe Epub in the B&N software on my PC, and move it on and off the Nook using that software.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdittyr View Post
That's a good question, though I believe the answer is no (please correct me if I am wrong as I would love this functionality as well). It is my understanding that you have to go through ADE as that is what actually requests the temporary license for the book and then puts it on the nook.
As far as I know this is indeed correct.
ADE is needed for lending the book and setting the expiry date.
So you can drag and drop regular Adobe DRM books (after authorizing your reader once using ADE), but for library books you will always need to use ADE.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote