Notices

Old 08-20-2008, 03:42 AM   #106
dynamike
Enthusiast
dynamike began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I think the black duct tape I've seen has a white sticky side. Wouldn't that work as well as two layers?
Yes, that should work. The sticky side of the tape should be white. It is important that the tape sits very tight on the glass. There should not be any air bubbles between tape and the glass surface. I realized this last night while reading in bed. The white tape I used is old and does not stick too well. After a while the smudges started to appear again faintly. When rubbing the tape with a finger the smudges disappeared again.

I guess the tape acts like a mirror, but only when it sits tight.
dynamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:16 AM   #107
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
I just realized that I should have tried with white enamel paint as the first layer, and then black on top to block out the light. I even had white paint at home, sigh. Well, at least I know what to do when I get my lightwedge for the reader
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2008, 06:59 PM   #108
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
Just used silver duct tape, a pen knife and scissors. It seems to work quite well. You need to use a new length of duct tape for each side. Cut a long enough piece of tape for one side and put it on properly along the edge so it covers the part that reflects but not the part that shows the text. Fold it in, cut it along the side with the pen knife, and pull the extra tape off (making sure the cut is sufficient). Repeat for the 3 outer sides. For the inner side, just put a piece of duct tape over the reflective part and cut it along the black surface where you want. The only problem with this is that you may mark the plastic with the pen knife, but it seems to work quite well. Unlike paint, it can be undone (unless you've cut the plastic).
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:22 AM   #109
dynamike
Enthusiast

talaivan, how do you like the result? I wonder how the silver tape compares to non-glossy regular white tape.

BTW I got new acrylic paint this saturday, white and black, but have not yet gotten to using it.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:30 AM   #110
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
Well, to be frank, the duct tape looks pretty tacky. But it does do a good job of masking the light along the sides and redirecting it to the reading area. There is a rather annoying band of light along the left side.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #111
dynamike
Enthusiast

With the white tape there is also a band of light visible which is the brightest area on the entire reading surface. With the white tape the light ist not overly bright and very uniform. It is also quite narrow and does not overlay the text. Overall I am very satisfied with the result.

And yeah, mine looks tacky too at the moment. Especially when the tape keeps coming off.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #112
ttate90303
Enthusiast
ttate90303 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Apple iPad 3, Kindle 3, Nook Simple Touch
Does anyone find that the plastic lens scratches easily?
ttate90303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:53 PM   #113
dynamike
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttate90303 View Post
Does anyone find that the plastic lens scratches easily?
No scratches yet. I did handle it a lot for painting, sticking tape to it etc. I also had to brush off dust and speckles from it with my finger from time to time. I'd say it does not scratch easily.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:39 PM   #114
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
I wonder: Is it possible to buy this thing from outside USA? Or an alternative approach, would somebody among you, American users, be willing to buy this light for me and then ship it to my country? I myself don't really need a reading light, but I have a relative who would find it very useful, so I am thinking about getting it for him as a Christmas present... Thanks.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:37 PM   #115
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
I wonder: Is it possible to buy this thing from outside USA? Or an alternative approach, would somebody among you, American users, be willing to buy this light for me and then ship it to my country? I myself don't really need a reading light, but I have a relative who would find it very useful, so I am thinking about getting it for him as a Christmas present... Thanks.
Which country? The lightwedge is also going to be sold in the UK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:12 PM   #116
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
And Waterstone's claim they can send to many countries (though maybe that applies only to books).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:07 AM   #117
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Which country? The lightwedge is also going to be sold in the UK.
Czech Republic. Totally unsupported by Sony :-(
Old 09-01-2008, 01:14 AM   #118
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
You could try preordering it from waterstones to see if they ship it to your country.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:22 AM   #119
pepak
Guru

Waterstone's accepted my preorder. Unless they cancel it at a later date, I should get the cover.

Thanks everyone for help.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #120
wmrawls
Connoisseur
wmrawls began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Dell Axim X50V
Received my lighted cover yesterday and put it to use last night, I am very pleased with its operation. The glare is minimal and much better than the clip on lights I have tried, in fact after several minutes of reading it is not a distraction at all. I was surprised at how much heavier the lighted cover was compared to the basic cover that came with the 505. Quite surprising in fact but after a few minutes it was not an issue, feels more like a real book IMHO. While it is more expensive than a basic clip on light I console myself to the fact that the cover itself is superior to the basic cover and i like the Black, it looks professional so if I carry the book to meetings (Which I am inclined to do depending on the length and boredom factor) it simulates a high end PDA and no one thinks about the fact that I have it open. So far so good. I read at least 1.5 hours a night so I will be paying attention to the battery life. Any one sitting on the fence regarding picking one up should make the jump.
wmrawls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!