Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-24-2014, 09:44 PM   #46
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
How do you read MR? And how did you read it before eink?
I read it on my computer monitor. I'm highly sensitive to light. Reading text against a white background is painful on a backlit screen.

I have my browser set to a black background and green text. Unfortunately, that's unusual. Doesn't work everywhere. Some stuff still gives me black text on a white background. Some will give me black text on a black background.

Using a Paperwhite for my reading device is easy on my eyes. I don't have to deal with the settings problems.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:57 PM   #47
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
By owning a tablet, no Calibre necessary. Plus you get a wide range of additional functionality.

It's fine with me if you want to buy multiple e-readers and cart them around with you. But I think for most people, a tablet is a much more attractive option.
Well, first off, I don't "cart around multiple e-readers." Second, I would say, judging by the responses here, that not "most people" read on tablets. I'm guessing most people use tablets mostly for other purposes. Reading on them is almost an afterthought.

And I stand by what I wrote earlier. eInk Readers have many advantages over tablets when used as readers. (I've listed them in other posts.) And -- again -- not everyone is the same. No "one size fits all" here.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #48
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not MR, but before eInk eReaders, I read printed books.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #49
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm not MR
Ummmmmmm.....
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #50
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I read it on my computer monitor. I'm highly sensitive to light. Reading text against a white background is painful on a backlit screen.

I have my browser set to a black background and green text. Unfortunately, that's unusual. Doesn't work everywhere. Some stuff still gives me black text on a white background. Some will give me black text on a black background.

Using a Paperwhite for my reading device is easy on my eyes. I don't have to deal with the settings problems.
Hey you must be my eye twin. I have the same problem with white background.

I don't know how it was decided that GUI would be primarily black text on white background, considering we've always had emissive displays. It's like trying to read the print off a light bulb all day. Every computing device I use I have to find a way to get light text on dark background, at least for the programs I use most, but it's hard work fighting the white background hegemony.

Android up to this point seems to give a bit of equal time for the dark background scheme, but it looks like with the upcoming Android L they are going all on the blinding white look like iOS 7.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2014, 10:50 PM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
How can people read real books on a tablet? I can consider reading a journal article or a short story but a whole book?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
It's like anything else, you get used to it over time. If there had never been eink, I'm sure I'd be reading on a tablet.
I never had to get used to anything. Like everyone else, I'd had "Eye-strain! Eye-strain!" drummed into my head until I believed it was actually an inherent flaw of LCD tablet screens. Then I got one; read a book with it; noticed absolutely nothing out of the ordinary or even remotely eye-strainey; read another and another; figured people were just nuts* and never looked back. I read for many hours each day on it. No headaches, no squinting, no strain. I still don't get what the big deal/difference is supposed to be.

Eink readers dissing tablet readers is the new pbook clingers dissing ebooks. "Its not the same! How can you do that? I'll never switch! LCD smells weird."

* I obviously don't think people who have medical conditions with their eyes "nuts."

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-24-2014 at 10:58 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:10 PM   #52
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Eink readers dissing tablet readers is the new pbook clingers dissing ebooks. "Its not the same! How can you do that? I'll never switch! LCD smells weird."
All facetiousness aside, I've detailed what -- I think -- are the advantages of eInk Readers over using an LCD tablet as an eReader. Eyestrain is just one of the issues for me.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:13 PM   #53
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Well, first off, I don't "cart around multiple e-readers." Second, I would say, judging by the responses here, that not "most people" read on tablets. I'm guessing most people use tablets mostly for other purposes. Reading on them is almost an afterthought.

And I stand by what I wrote earlier. eInk Readers have many advantages over tablets when used as readers. (I've listed them in other posts.) And -- again -- not everyone is the same. No "one size fits all" here.
Yeah, the people HERE have dedicated e-readers, strip DRM, use Calibre, are fanatical readers, etc. etc. etc. But this is a specialized, self-selected group that is highly unlikely to be representative of average readers.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:36 PM   #54
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Are you equating reading webpages with sitting down for a few hours reading a novel?

Of course I read webpages on a typical monitor. And of course remember you're not constantly reading when browsing... you're waiting for pages to load, you're scanning over mixed content of images and words looking for an interesting item to read (which this thread obviously qualified to me! ) which means your eyes are never constantly "reading". Distance between your eyes and a monitor is different, meaning either more or less eyestrain depending on your vision.

And most important about that type of reading, I never do it outdoors in daylight or direct sun. If I did, it would mean zero webpage browsing while out in daylight or direct sun.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

My eyes are also very sensitive to light, so my monitors are always much dimmer than what others are used to, so that alone makes them more comfortable. But to curl up in a chair or outside on a picnic table and do nothing but constant reading... no way that's going to happen with anything connected to an LCD backlit screen. I could manage it while indoors, which only covers about 50% of my reading time. Nor would I want the extra weight or short battery that goes along with the tablets.

Edit: Conversely, I never browse webpages from my reader either. It's strictly for reading and nothing else, which is how I want it.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 08-24-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:48 PM   #55
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Yeah, the people HERE have dedicated e-readers, strip DRM, use Calibre, are fanatical readers, etc. etc. etc. But this is a specialized, self-selected group that is highly unlikely to be representative of average readers.
Personally I don't think either one of us have actual figures to back up our "unlikely(s)." But I believe that Amazon's best-selling eReader is their Kindle Basic. Until that fact changes, I don't see the eInk Readers going away.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:02 AM   #56
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
All facetiousness aside, I've detailed what -- I think -- are the advantages of eInk Readers over using an LCD tablet as an eReader. Eyestrain is just one of the issues for me.
I'm curious. If you're talking straight-up LCD vs eInk, I fail to see what could be relevant other than eyestrain/glare/sunlight. Unless you're talking stuff like "more distractions" or battery life. Battery life's a valid beef (just not one that affects me), but somehow I don't think that's what many people have in mind when they knee-jerk all; "OMG. How can you read on an LCD screen?!" I was mainly addressing those who seem quick to balk at the screen technology alone.

I don't care if I have to charge every couple of days, I don't get eyestrain, I almost never read outdoors, my Nexus 7 is lighter than the eInk reader I had for years, and I put the device in airplane mode if I don't want to be distracted. I don't mean to imply that you're not entitled to your preference or anything, but I'm genuinely curious what's left on your list of advantages.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-25-2014 at 12:05 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:25 AM   #57
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
I'm curious. If you're talking straight-up LCD vs eInk, I fail to see what could be relevant other than eyestrain/glare/sunlight. Unless you're talking stuff like "more distractions" or battery life. Battery life's a valid beef (just not one that affects me), but somehow I don't think that's what many people have in mind when they knee-jerk all; "OMG. How can you read on an LCD screen?!" I was mainly addressing those who seem quick to balk at the screen technology alone.

I don't care if I have to charge every couple of days, I don't get eyestrain, I almost never read outdoors, my Nexus 7 is lighter than the eInk reader I had for years, and I put the device in airplane mode if I don't want to be distracted. I don't mean to imply that you're not entitled to your preference or anything, but I'm genuinely curious what's left on your list of advantages.
Well, nothing. For you.

For those who DO get eyestrain, mind the extra weight, need more time between recharges, read outside (or under florescent lights), ect., well that is another matter. They are also cheaper and you don't need to worry too much about carrying them around where they might get broken, lost or stolen.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:34 AM   #58
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I got one of both so whichever wins I got the winner...

But seriously I love both as both have their specific use and advantages.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:29 AM   #59
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I never had to get used to anything. Like everyone else, I'd had "Eye-strain! Eye-strain!" drummed into my head until I believed it was actually an inherent flaw of LCD tablet screens. Then I got one; read a book with it; noticed absolutely nothing out of the ordinary or even remotely eye-strainey; read another and another; figured people were just nuts* and never looked back. I read for many hours each day on it. No headaches, no squinting, no strain. I still don't get what the big deal/difference is supposed to be.

* I obviously don't think people who have medical conditions with their eyes "nuts."
Too many people universalize their own experiences. I would have told you to see for yourself. I don't have your eyes. You don't have mine.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:30 AM   #60
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
My tablet has certainly replaced my ereader as my go-to reading device. I didn't expect it to - really thought that the LCD screen would hurt my eyes, but as it turns out, it really doesn't. And the convenience of being able to put reading material on it wirelessly via Calibre Companion has made it so effortless that I almost never reach for my K3 anymore.

That said, there are things about it that are not optimal - I can't read it in bed (the light will keep me from sleeping properly), it's heavy compared to my ereader, and it needs to be charged every day - but overall, it's a wonderful device that's wormed it's brightly-lit way into my heart.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote