Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
kackvogel
kackvogel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.0 JB
Install german firmware on an english paperwhite

Hey,

just installed the new jailbreak on my 5.3.0 paperwhite
Since I've ordered a device form the USA some month ago I wanted to know if it's possible to install a german firmware on my device now?

Edit:
... are the firmwares actually localized? And if not, what makes it "localized"? Does Amazon check the HardwareId on connect?

BR,

Tris

Last edited by kackvogel; 12-04-2012 at 02:15 PM.
kackvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kackvogel View Post
Hey,

just installed the new jailbreak on my 5.3.0 paperwhite
Since I've ordered a device form the USA some month ago I wanted to know if it's possible to install a german firmware on my device now?

Edit:
... are the firmwares actually localized? And if not, what makes it "localized"? Does Amazon check the HardwareId on connect?

BR,

Tris
There is no need to install anything. The paperwhite supports german (and 8 other languages) out of the box.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
mano42
mano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to behold

Device: k3, k4, k5, pw
What about porting it to other languages, like the K3?
mano42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mano42 View Post
What about porting it to other languages, like the K3?
Well, go ahead!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
mano42
mano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to behold

Device: k3, k4, k5, pw
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Well, go ahead!
Hehe, I guess i deserved this

I guess the firmware binary is cripted, so it needs decrpting and unpacking, but after that I have no ideea what to do....
I have no programing skills, so if there is any guide how to edit the firmware, I am willing to translate it to Hungarian.... :P
mano42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mano42 View Post
Hehe, I guess i deserved this

I guess the firmware binary is cripted, so it needs decrpting and unpacking, but after that I have no ideea what to do....
I have no programing skills, so if there is any guide how to edit the firmware, I am willing to translate it to Hungarian.... :P
It should not be that hard.
You should find a file system tree of files holding just the translated strings.
I don't have a Kpw, but they should be obvious when you look at the file system tree.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It should not be that hard.
You should find a file system tree of files holding just the translated strings.
I don't have a Kpw, but they should be obvious when you look at the file system tree.
Bwahahahaaaa, no. (SCNR)

Translations are scattered around in different places, mostly binary java resource bundles, Javascript files, and .mo files.

See this thread for more information, and for the tools required. (yes, that thread is dead, but the methodology is the same on the Paperwhite).

But seriously, if you don't have any software development experience, you have a steep learning curve ahead.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Bwahahahaaaa, no. (SCNR)
With the exception(s) of applications that do not follow the FHS and/or follow standards of their own.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote