Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-12-2012, 04:51 AM   #1
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Thumbs up The saga of Recluce

Just finished book 1, The Magic of Recluce.

First, thanks to Seaking and all the other MR people who recommended this. None of my friends had read this and only one had heard about it all. But trusting in the wisdom of you all, I took the plunge and bought the first book from Amazon. I'm glad I did.

I have to admit, I wasn't too thrilled with this in the beginning. It kinda starts off slow and the main character, who is also the narrator, didn't thrill me much either. He comes across as a typically whiny kid, bored, and well, kinda whiny. But stick with it...there's a reason for it all.

Once the plot develops and the "action" starts, it gets interesting. The narrator's character (Lerris) becomes more interesting and sympathetic and the world really comes to life. The magic system is original and makes sense in the context of the world. While there are the standard good (order) v evil (chaos) themes, there is enough grey to make it more complex, less neat. After just reading the first book, I have a feeling a lot of things are going on in the background that are yet to be explained and I'm looking forward to the next one.

One thing that annoyed me about an otherwise well written book, is the author's habit of using sound-effects, frequently. Every time Lerris's horse whinnies, the author writes "Wheeeee". It sounds like the horse is having fun, (I kept imagining it going down a water slide or somefing) when that is not the intention at all. Just a minor quibble but one that yanked me out of the story more than once.

Still, a very high recommendation for those who haven't read it.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It is good, but unfortunately it's one of these series where only half the books are available as eBooks. Most of the series consists of 2-book pairs, and in several cases, one book in the pair is available as an eBook, but not the other.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 05:53 AM   #3
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Hmm, I was not aware of this. Do you mean for the UK only? I think Amazon US has them all, but I haven't checked all 16 books, tbh.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Same in both US and UK, last time I looked. The first 4 or 5 books in the series are available, as are the last 4 or 5, but it gets "patchy" in the middle.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Amazon and B&N both have all of the series in ebook form.
I have been reading this series from the start. I enjoy them although they can be slow as the story builds, but it is worth it to continue on. I have them in hard and paper back, but will have to consider getting them in ebook now that they are available.
Most of the books deal with Order. Some stories are about Chaos and one gray mage (able to use both). A couple tell the story of how the order mages arrived on the planet and survived and one is about the acceptance of technology by the order mages.
Overall a great series and well worth reading.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Amazon and B&N both have all of the series in ebook form.
Thanks - looks as though the "missing" books are available in the US, but not the UK. I'll have to obtain them!
Old 06-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I own the complete series in hardcover. The problem with the series is that the early books are excellent but about the 10th book, begin to decline with speed. The last book in the series, Arms Commander, is particularly poor, almost seems as if there was a clamor for another Recluce volume and Modesitt slopped something together.

I suspect that part of the problem is that Modesitt has started a new series (Imager) and has been devoting time to it. I like the Imager series (which I also own in hardcover) much more than the later volumes of Recluce.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Double-digit book-counts in a series--never a good idea. Always leave 'em wanting more... not wishing you'd stopped sooner.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I really like the first one and enjoy several of the others. But the series is hit or miss for me. Fortunately most of the books can be read as stand-alone books and not lose too much, except for some of the "pairs" where you have to read the first in order to be able to enjoy the second. The first book is certainly able to stand on its own.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I really like the first one and enjoy several of the others. But the series is hit or miss for me. Fortunately most of the books can be read as stand-alone books and not lose too much, except for some of the "pairs" where you have to read the first in order to be able to enjoy the second. The first book is certainly able to stand on its own.
"The White Order" and "Colors of Chaos" is an excellent pair of books in the series, I think, and tells the story from the other side of the coin to that portrayed in the books based in Recluse - ie, from the "chaos" rather than the "order" point of view.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I suspect that part of the problem is that Modesitt has started a new series (Imager) and has been devoting time to it. I like the Imager series (which I also own in hardcover) much more than the later volumes of Recluce.
I thought the first three Imager books were the most interesting books Modesitt has written. I was really disappointed that he didn't continue the story line so we could see how Rhenn was going to deal with the problems facing the imagers as well as their society, and instead took the easy way out and just started a new story line, going back to explore the first imagers. That last Imager book was not nearly as compelling as the first three.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #12
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"The White Order" and "Colors of Chaos" is an excellent pair of books in the series, I think, and tells the story from the other side of the coin to that portrayed in the books based in Recluse - ie, from the "chaos" rather than the "order" point of view.
I agree, I liked those ones too, as well as Magii/Scion of Cyador, the other 'white' pairing.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
After just reading the first book, I have a feeling a lot of things are going on in the background that are yet to be explained and I'm looking forward to the next one.
The first book (as written) is actually the second-to-last in the internal chronology of the series, so most of the story lies behind you rather than before you
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Can anyone point to a chronoligical ordering of the series? Tia!
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #15
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

I believe it is:

Lorn:
Magii of Cyador
Scion of Cyador

Nylan:
Fall of Angels
Chaos Balance
(Saryn:
Arms-Commander)

Creslin:
Towers of Sunset