Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-25-2007, 05:49 AM   #1
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Video Demo of the Bookeen Reader

Bookeen has just put up a demo video of the reader with the current software version.

Looks really great for reading mobipocket formats. I guess i will have to order one soon

See for yoursel: http://bookeen.blogspot.com/2007/09/...demo-clip.html
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:06 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That is a nice video.

Still needs a battery meter though.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:36 AM   #3
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Sweet. Screen updates are definitely fast enough to get by without the 1-0 buttons.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:48 AM   #4
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Wow!

I want one of this...

I liked the lookup function... that's perfect if you are not reading in your mother tongue!

L

Last edited by leandroide; 09-25-2007 at 07:16 AM.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Nice features especially the dictionnary and library. It's a shame that the popup menu doesn't change orientation with the display mode. The device lacks higher placed, page turn buttons on both sides like all readers. Works fine placed on a table but what serious reader uses it this way for long periods. These devices cry out for color.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:30 AM   #6
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
So does the device include a built-in dictionary, or is that a 3rd-party purchase?
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Very nice video indeed, I love the fact that they're using a pop-up menu, the library display looks nice, and overall the UI is really good.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:49 AM   #8
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
This is a very exciting device. Nice screen, a font folder to allow you to add fonts by putting them in the folder, MobiPocket support, pop-up menus, lots of font size choices, and (WOW!) a nice dictionary look-up! I'm drooling a bit.

There will certainly be tradeoffs. iLiad, of course, has the nice big screen. Sony Reader has more buttons, and is a very solid device. And there are still some unknowns with Bookeen (maybe they were answered elsewhere?)... other formats supported, battery life, boot up time, standby mode, clock, dock, "hackability", memory card support, mp3s, etc

We're getting so close to the point where an "Average Joe" might be interested. If only the price could drop just a bit more. Once these kinds of devices are <$100 look out!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:52 AM   #9
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
They've commented on the battery life on their blog:
Quote:
If MP3 is OFF and you are not turning a page or using a menu, our device is in sleep mode. Your screen shows of course the current page but the processor and memories are frozen.

In this mode, the Cybook can wake-up in half a second (500ms) which is almost unoticeable. If you look at the video, the Cybook is often in sleep mode (after one second of inactivity the Cybook fells in sleep mode).

In this mode the battery lifetime is around one week.

You can also choose to switch completely off your Cybook to preserve your battery (the screen becomes completely white). The Cybook will take around 14 seconds to wake-up. In this power off mode the battery lifetime reaches several month.

Michael (for Bookeen)

PS: decreasing booting time and increasing sleep mode battery lifetime are of course on our todo list.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You've hit the critical point just right Bob. "When the average Joe might be interested"

With all the people I've met with my Sony in hand, I haven't found many who'd be willing to use a computer to get to a reader.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:38 AM   #11
MikeF74
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
You've hit the critical point just right Bob. "When the average Joe might be interested"

With all the people I've met with my Sony in hand, I haven't found many who'd be willing to use a computer to get to a reader.
With modem hardware being so cheap, I'm surprised it wasn't a part of the reference design. This would be an inexpensive way to have broader mass-market appeal. Grandma could plug in the phone line, browse the online store using the GUI, make a purchase and unplug the phone. The same thing Amazon seems to be doing, but without using the seemingly more expensive mobile telephone infrastructure.

Just adds $5 dollars to the hardware. Maintaining the online store is a little work and there is a little cost for having a toll-free dialup.

There's still a generation or two out there who just can't/won't work with computers.

If any device had such ease of purchase functionality, I'd easily buy one for my father and grandmother.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:43 AM   #12
MikeF74
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
If any device had such ease of purchase functionality, I'd easily buy one for my father and grandmother.
At a reasonable price of course. I think $199 would be a sweet-spot where I'd be giving these away as gifts to loved ones. I think a $199 price would really jump start this movement.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:48 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
So does the device include a built-in dictionary, or is that a 3rd-party purchase?
This is probably the standard MobiPocket dictionary support. There are several modern dictionaries for sale in MobiPocket format, or use the freely-available GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:09 AM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Apparently there were promises of the Kindle being able to reach Amazon to buy books without the aid of a computer. I wonder what will come of that.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:13 AM   #15
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Apparently there were promises of the Kindle being able to reach Amazon to buy books without the aid of a computer. I wonder what will come of that.
You can do the same on the iLiad using the Feedbooks program but for public domain books and RSS. We can easily port this app on any open device running Linux+GTK with a WiFi connection.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote