Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #31
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
Personal Document Synching came to Apple devices several months ago, so it is possible to check the same files on both platforms.

http://liliputing.com/2011/12/amazon...ndle-fire.html

Well I listened to my colleague rather than do my usual reading. That's good news since we now have all the troubleshooting covered. More info to shoot at Amazon.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #32
msandsm
msandsm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I'm new to the Kindle Fire. Can someone tell me if there is a way to move books from the Carousel to the Books tab? Also, how do I use calibre's email function to send books to my Fire? The only email address I have for that is <myname>@kindle.fire. And even using the email function to send to my gmail account, I can't even find a 'send' button. How does it work? Any help will be welcomed with a great big smile and a virtual hug.
msandsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #33
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
You don't have to move them from the Carousel to the Books Tab. Anything that shows up in the Carousel is already in one of the locations on the Kindle.

For Calibre, not only do you need your Kindle address but also your gmail address and password and the host name smtp.gmail.com. I use port 587, not sure why.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #34
msandsm
msandsm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
You don't have to move them from the Carousel to the Books Tab. Anything that shows up in the Carousel is already in one of the locations on the Kindle.

For Calibre, not only do you need your Kindle address but also your gmail address and password and the host name smtp.gmail.com. I use port 587, not sure why.

I finally found the book under Docs, but I'm a little anal and I want the book to appear in my Books folder. Can it be done? Also, haven't had a chance to try emailing, but will let you know how that works.
msandsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #35
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by msandsm View Post
I finally found the book under Docs, but I'm a little anal and I want the book to appear in my Books folder. Can it be done? Also, haven't had a chance to try emailing, but will let you know how that works.
All emailed books will be under docs. The email address for the Fire is for Personal Documents only. You have to sideload via USB to get books to show up under Books. Just drop your books in the books or documents folder. It doesn't matter which. They must not have a pdoc tag on them or they will show up under Documents instead of Books.

I highly recommended you read the stickys here and search the threads. This has been answer numerous times. Do a search for the word ebok and that should get you the threads that will help you.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #36
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It seems that I have clear the Kindle data now each time I send a pdoc to the my Fire. I guess I will do it nightly at 3AM when the servers aren't so hammered it took two tries last night to get the covers to show up at 3AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #37
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
All emailed books will be under docs. The email address for the Fire is for Personal Documents only. You have to sideload via USB to get books to show up under Books. Just drop your books in the books or documents folder. It doesn't matter which. They must not have a pdoc tag on them or they will show up under Documents instead of Books.

I highly recommended you read the stickys here and search the threads. This has been answer numerous times. Do a search for the word ebok and that should get you the threads that will help you.

Actually, the statement in bold is incorrect. As posted here previously, I have always converted my mobi books via Calibre with a [PDOC] tag and they always appear on the BOOKS bookshelf when side-loaded.

Last edited by Skydog; 04-06-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #38
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
It seems that I have clear the Kindle data now each time I send a pdoc to the my Fire. I guess I will do it nightly at 3AM when the servers aren't so hammered it took two tries last night to get the covers to show up at 3AM.
I refuse to do this -- it's just not worth the trouble.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #39
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Actually, the statement in bold is not correct. As posted here previously, I have always converted my mobi books via Calibre with a [PDOC] tag and they always appear on the BOOKS bookshelf when side-loaded.
That's because you use a Calibre Profile that doesn't use the tag system. I believe that Calibre only uses the tag system on the Kindle Profile (Not sure about Kindle Fire profile). So it's really isn't adding the pdoc tag to any of your books because you are using the Kindle DX profile.

I use the Hanlin 5 profile on Calibre and it never adds tags to it either.

Last edited by Blossom; 04-06-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #40
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
That's because you use a Calibre Profile that doesn't use the tag system. I believe that Calibre only uses the tag system on the Kindle Profile (Not sure about Kindle Fire profile). So it's really isn't adding the pdoc tag to any of your books because you are using the Kindle DX profile.

I use the Hanlin 5 profile on Calibre and it never adds tags to it either.
But isn't that what the OP is doing? Calibre =>Fire.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #41
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
But isn't that what the OP is doing? Calibre =>Fire.
Profiles are a conversation thing. It tells which options to use as it's converting your book that are compatible with the device you plan to use it on.

I can plug my Fire into my PC and have the Hanlin Profile selected and it still will send books from Calibre to the Fire.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #42
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
I'm also having the same problem. All my sideloaded books are in my Pdoc Archive and they all show up on the fire with blank covers. But I was able to get the covers to show up by doing a factory reset. I also think deregistering and registering will work also. It also helps to have all your pdoc book download to the fire before deregistering. Very buggy this update.

Also a few of my Amazon books show up without covers too, so I doubt its Calibre.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #43
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Profiles are a conversation thing. It tells which options to use as it's converting your book that are compatible with the device you plan to use it
I can plug my Fire into my PC and have the Hanlin Profile selected and it still will send books from Calibre to the Fire.
Yes, I know that and do it routinely.

I guess I did not ask the question very well. IF the OP is converting via Calibre, and he/she was asking about sending mobis to the Fire to appear under Books, and not Docs, then the tag issue is irrelevant. No? But you instructed him/her to be sure to remove the [PDOC] tag. I am merely trying to understand the contradiction.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #44
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Yes, I know that and do it routinely.

I guess I did not ask the question very well. IF the OP is converting via Calibre, and he/she was asking about sending mobis to the Fire to appear under Books, and not Docs, then the tag issue is irrelevant. No? But you instructed him/her to be sure to remove the [PDOC] tag. I am merely trying to understand the contradiction.
If they use the Kindle Fire profile or Kindle Profile they will need to remove pdoc tag from the Mobi output tab. This is what I originally meant when I said that. They will have to sideload the books via USB not emailing them because emailing them will add the pdoc tag anyway and defeat what they are trying to do.

The OP was emailing their books to the Fire this is why they were showing up as Documents.

Now about Calibre books. By default the pdoc tag is added to each mobi book that is converted with Calibre when the Kindle or Kindle Fire profile is used so they need to remove that from that box so anything converted will not be labeled as a Pdoc. The books will then have to be sideloaded to show under Books not emailed.

I suppose they could use an alternative Profile like we do too, it would keep the pdoc tag from being added but I didn't want to confuse someone new to Kindles.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #45
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
If they use the Kindle Fire profile or Kindle Profile they will need to remove pdoc tag from the Mobi output tab. This is what I originally meant when I said that. They will have to sideload the books via USB not emailing them because emailing them will add the pdoc tag anyway and defeat what they are trying to do.

The OP was emailing their books to the Fire this is why they were showing up as Documents.

Now about Calibre books. By default the pdoc tag is added to each mobi book that is converted with Calibre when the Kindle or Kindle Fire profile is used so they need to remove that from that box so anything converted will not be labeled as a Pdoc. The books will then have to be sideloaded to show under Books not emailed.

I suppose they could use an alternative Profile like we do too, it would keep the pdoc tag from being added but I didn't want to confuse someone new to Kindles.
That makes sense.

On a side note... Since Calibre has the capability of automatically including "last page read" feature during conversion why not just convert and side-load via Calibre? I do this regularly and am able to sync among devices. Why go to the trouble with pdocs (for books) and lack of covers, if you do not have to?