Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 01:01 AM   #46
Glamthaus
Glamthaus began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
All I've been doing is putting .apk files into a 'download' folder via my PC (on the 'READER' drive that pops up).

To get to it I've just been going into root explorer, going to 'sdcard' then 'download' and they're all there.
Glamthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:25 AM   #47
Tomana
Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: treo 650
I tried to do the same but when I click onto the "sdcard" directory... nothing happen... and I can't see the content of my reader
Tomana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:29 AM   #48
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
A tutorial might be the way forward
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:52 AM   #49
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
I tried to do the same but when I click onto the "sdcard" directory... nothing happen... and I can't see the content of my reader
Make sure reader is unplugged and SD not mounted.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:54 AM   #50
Tomana
Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: treo 650
I will try to write up a detailed tutorial after all the errors :P
Tomana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:37 AM   #51
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Make sure reader is unplugged and SD not mounted.
The reader may be plugged in, but not in USB Storage mode. In USB Storage mode the /mnt/sdcard and /mnt/extsd are unmounted internally.

You can also use Dropbox to transfer the apps.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:03 AM   #52
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
That folder is the internal Flash storage. The actual microSD card is labeled "extsd".
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #53
darseno
Connoisseur
darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-500
Before installing the hack, I could use the page forward and page backward buttons to scroll one page at a time in the web browser. Now these buttons don't do anything in the browser. I'd like to put it back the way it was, because the e-ink screen is so slow that it takes forever to scroll using the touch screen.

It would also be nice to be able to use said buttons for scrolling in other applications, like ADWLauncher.
darseno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #54
Glamthaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by darseno View Post
Before installing the hack, I could use the page forward and page backward buttons to scroll one page at a time in the web browser. Now these buttons don't do anything in the browser. I'd like to put it back the way it was, because the e-ink screen is so slow that it takes forever to scroll using the touch screen.

It would also be nice to be able to use said buttons for scrolling in other applications, like ADWLauncher.
Yep, agreed 100%. Hoping someone knows how to fix it!

[EDIT: Just noticed landscape orientation in the normal sony Reader has the hardware buttons reversed. Right (Down) goes back a page, and Left (Up) goes forward.]

Also, I've installed a handful of apps and now I'm getting 'low on space' errors -- is there any way to fix this? (it's clearly not talking about the 'READER' partition, as that has over a gig of space left)

Last edited by Glamthaus; 10-25-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #55
darseno
Connoisseur
darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamthaus View Post
Also, I've installed a handful of apps and now I'm getting 'low on space' errors -- is there any way to fix this? (it's clearly not talking about the 'READER' partition, as that has over a gig of space left)
Uhm, sorry if this is a stupid question: how do I install apps from the Android Market? It tells me I don't have any device associated to my account.
darseno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #56
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yep, agreed 100%. Hoping someone knows how to fix it!

[EDIT: Just noticed landscape orientation in the normal sony Reader has the hardware buttons reversed. Right (Down) goes back a page, and Left (Up) goes forward.]

Most probably the system partition. You need to uninstall apps, or move them to SD card.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #57
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, a lot of good questions. I guess, if there are more people playing with PRS-T1 who know something about the guts of Android, these questions will be answered in time. I am not an Android expert, though I did learn a little bit about this system during the course of the past several weeks.

Quote:
I've installed a handful of apps and now I'm getting 'low on space' errors -- is there any way to fix this? (it's clearly not talking about the 'READER' partition, as that has over a gig of space left)
There is only about 40MB of free room in the /data partition, where all the "non-system" apps normally get installed. There is more room in the /system partition, but it's pretty much filled to the brim by the Sony applications. The /system partition can be expanded by about 20MB, while the /data partition size is almost at capacity. What it means is that without a redesign of the entire partition structure and reformatting all or many partitions, which is a rather involved project, there isn't much room for the apps to be installed. Some of the larger apps (i.e. 10MB or larger) cannot safely be installed on the Sony Reader. Unfortunately, that's how it may stay in the nearest future.

I haven't tried Apps on SD yet. I don't know if they would work, but this would be an interesting thing to try.

Quote:
how do I install apps from the Android Market?
There as of yet is no Market support in the reader. Someone may install the Market app and fix up the build.prop to allow for installation of Market applications. I don't see any immediate need to do this for the simple reason of space. To me the reader is just that - the ebook reader. I installed the apps I thought I may need to read books. It is not good for games or office or spreadsheets - even the phone is better suited for those.

The Google apps don't work either. I think Sony intentionally broke them, or the installed framework is incompatible, as it seems that the most essential of them are present, but they don't come up, and trying to start them may hang up the reader. I understand that the Google AutoSync and the Email services running in the background would be a very bad idea for the battery. But I am not sure why trying to register a Google account crashes the core system processes and can only be solved via reboot.

Quote:
Before installing the hack, I could use the page forward and page backward buttons to scroll one page at a time in the web browser. Now these buttons don't do anything in the browser.
As far as the page buttons being a bit off in the Internet Browser and the landscape mode of the Sony's own Reader, I will try to solve this issue. I defined the Key Events generated by the buttons to be DPAD_UP and DPAD_DOWN, and it seems to affect some applications. The reason I had done it was to enable proper paging in Cool Reader. I will look for other available functions for the buttons, and if they work, I will update the packages... I would have to get in touch with the Cool Reader developers to ask them to assign another set of functions to the buttons.

And one other thing: there is a way back to the original state. All you need to do is install the "rescue package", and your reader will be just as it had been before you started messing with it. No root, no ADWLauncher, no Cool Reader, just pure old Sony. So, if you get annoyed with the hack, just reverse it. At this point we are in the stage of the early exploration, so many things are not working well.

Last edited by porkupan; 10-25-2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: grammar and some additional ranting
Old 10-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #58
Glamthaus

I wish I could help in some way. I do have a programming background if there happens to be a good resource you can point me toward to get informed.

But yeah, thanks porkupan, for all of your efforts so far, and for answering my questions, it is definitely appreciated.

Last edited by Glamthaus; 10-25-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #59
EowynCarter
Wizard

An other fews stupid questions :

How do you use the "ACM" thing on linux ?
How do you get root rights, momentarily or permanently, whichever easier.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #60
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
How do you use the "ACM" thing on linux ?
What's "ACM"?
Quote:
How do you get root rights, momentarily or permanently, whichever easier.
Either via ADB (adb shell), or at the Terminal by typing "su". Some apps (i.e. Root Explorer) request "superuser privileges" from the system, and you can agree to provide those to them.

Tags
android, prs-t1, root, rooted, sony