Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
WiFi question on e-readers

Hi,

I'm considering buying an ebook reader (might wait out for the K3). I have a question regarding the Wifi functionality on the current generation ereaders. My question is that, Will I be able to 'wirelessly transfer ebooks' using calibre or Kindle app or B&N nook App to which ever reader I decide to purchase, or is sideloading possible only using the data cable?
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The WiFi on pretty much all (with the odd exception, such as the old iRe iLiad) eInk devices permits you to browse the web and wirelessly buy books from bookstores. You generally have to load your own content via the USB connection.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Ok.

So there is absolutely positively definitely _no_ way to sideload books wirelessly onto any modern reader?
Old 07-31-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can transfer books wirelessly to the Amazon Kindle, the softrooted nook, any iDevice using the calibre content server. Probably a few others as well, but these I know to work.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:30 AM   #5
ski_power
Book eater

Hmm... I definitely do use calibre (gotta be hard to find someone on this forum who doesn't) but din't know about the Content Server.
I think that's exactly what I needed.

Now my next question (out of sheer curiosity) is, Is it possible to 'push' books to these devices wirelessly?
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes, in the case of the kindle you can use calibre's email to facility to email books to the kindle. Of course, you have to pay amazons, delivery charges in this case.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
ski_power
Book eater

Oh I see. Lol, that would be bad.

So, its only the vendors that can push and 'pull' (1984 anyone?) books from our devices. Makes sense that they're already paying themselves for the service. Ok, thanks for your time.

Last edited by ski_power; 09-10-2013 at 03:31 PM.