Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Doranwen
Enthusiast
Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none, sadly, they all died
Computer doesn't recognize PP?

I just got mine today, yay! So first thing I did was read through the manual, and it says to transfer stuff you just plug in the USB cable, connect it to a computer, and it should just see it as a drive and connect and all. So I hooked it up to my Windows XP computer and . . . nothing. It's charging the battery, from what I can tell, but it isn't recognizing it (and I know there's nothing wrong with the USB port--tested it on another XP computer and same thing happened).

For the record, I have a Dell Inspiron laptop, and I tested it also on an HP Pavilion tower. Both have Windows XP and USB 2.0 ports. In both cases, it immediately began charging, and never presented me with the option to press OK/Menu or whatever like it says. If need be, I can test this on a very old Gateway laptop that's been formatted with Debian (I'll guarantee that's going to be USB 1.1); no clue how that will work!

Mine didn't come with any SD cards, but I can poke around and try to find one (I might have an extra one I usually use on my camera) and load books onto that, then plop it in the reader. That ought to work, right? But I'd really like to figure this out so I can use the internal memory . . .
Doranwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doranwen View Post
I just got mine today, yay! So first thing I did was read through the manual, and it says to transfer stuff you just plug in the USB cable, connect it to a computer, and it should just see it as a drive and connect and all. So I hooked it up to my Windows XP computer and . . . nothing. It's charging the battery, from what I can tell, but it isn't recognizing it (and I know there's nothing wrong with the USB port--tested it on another XP computer and same thing happened).

For the record, I have a Dell Inspiron laptop, and I tested it also on an HP Pavilion tower. Both have Windows XP and USB 2.0 ports. In both cases, it immediately began charging, and never presented me with the option to press OK/Menu or whatever like it says. If need be, I can test this on a very old Gateway laptop that's been formatted with Debian (I'll guarantee that's going to be USB 1.1); no clue how that will work!

Mine didn't come with any SD cards, but I can poke around and try to find one (I might have an extra one I usually use on my camera) and load books onto that, then plop it in the reader. That ought to work, right? But I'd really like to figure this out so I can use the internal memory . . .
Known issue with Intel USB2.0 Enhanced drivers.

Try your old USB 1.1
or disable the Intel82801xx ENHANCED... in the device manager
Reboot to clear HW errors.
I know Dell uses this series (I have 3 Dells with it, 1 with Ubuntu) and it will trash the FAT on the PEz or SDcard if you manage to get it to run at all in 2.0 mode.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Hello, Doran, I am with Astak!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doranwen View Post

Doranwen:

the Ducks is very smart but may occasionally talk too technical. I am not a tech but we are always here to help.

Two comments first:

1. Read the FAQ sheet at: www.theEZreader.com/html under "support". That has a lot of helpful hints and is updated monthly!

2. Good, you are remembering to hit the large "OK" button? If you hit any other key except the "OK" button it will charge and not connect. This is written in full in the FAQ sheet.

Yes, the connection for the Pocket PRO to the computer is actually USB 1.1. It loads very quickly but you do want to set your computer for USB 1.1.

Now, we have really easy tech support here that is always trying to help people early. He keeps telling me: "have them call me early, why have them wait". You can reach Tech Support by calling: 1-866-368-8788 M-F 9:00a.m. to 6:00 p.m. or just send an email to support@astak.com

Lastly, THANK YOU!! We are happy you have joined our merry little band of Astak Lovers!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Doranwen
Enthusiast
Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none, sadly, they all died
Oh, I feel VERY silly now. I THOUGHT I was plugging it all the way in--and apparently I was only plugging it far enough to charge? That and/or it wasn't charged enough to connect. *grins very sheepishly* Apologies for the trouble here.

Now I'm going to load up some of my favorite e-books and take it to work to show off.
Doranwen is offline   Reply With Quote