Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
rwillmer
luzme.com
rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPhone, iPad
20% off Kobobooks until Jan 31

3 discount codes from Kobo, all valid until the end of the month.

1. Get $1 off all romance titles - Discount Code: 1Love
2. Get $2 off all self-help titles - Discount Code: NewYou
3. 20% off all other eBook categories - Discount Code: Save20

http://www.kobobooks.com
rwillmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Theres also 20% off until January 11th

Discount Code: Kobo20 | Offer expires January 11th, 2010

Happy reading!
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
movieking
movieking began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Aside from the website and emails, where do the rest of the coupons come from? I'm always on the lookout for these coupons and always use them, but I am unaware of other ways to find them.

Thanks for posting these, BTW.
movieking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
rwillmer
luzme.com
rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.

It depends.

Sometimes the stores themselves promote the code, for example the "Kobo20" code (valid for the next few days) is highlighted on Kobo's homepage.

The 3 I've mentioned above were made available to me for publicising because I'm a Kobo affiliate partner.

Rachel
Old 01-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
movieking
movieking began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Thanks for the information. I saw your posting about having a coupon page so I'll definitely keep a close watch on it.
movieking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Rachel, are others having problems downloading epubs? I got my wife a 600 for Christmas and she used a $1.50 off coupon for a book. She had to download ADE but finally got it on ADE but now it won't recognize her reader to transfer it. I bought a book last night and haven't been able to get it to download to ADE at all, but it did show up in my Sony library. I have a 505. I also have a book in my KOBO account that can only be read on the PC but that might be my fault.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Once the Sony software updates, it hijacks the association for .ACSM files (and .EPUB files, usually, but only the first one is needed). Which means that although it calls on ADE to authorize the book, the book opens in the Sony software. You can put that back the way it was by finding both a .acsm and .epub file, right click on properties and change the association on the front tab to Adobe Digital Editions.

As for the reader, you might try Calibre - it can't read DRM'd epub's, but it can set metadata and load them onto the read for you.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
rwillmer
luzme.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
Rachel, are others having problems downloading epubs? I got my wife a 600 for Christmas and she used a $1.50 off coupon for a book. She had to download ADE but finally got it on ADE but now it won't recognize her reader to transfer it.
You're saying that ADE doesn't recognise her 600? that sounds very odd. I've only ever had problems like that I'd managed to make my 505 hang by leaving it attached to a PC that I'd turned off. I had to do a full reboot of the 505 in the end.

Quote:
I bought a book last night and haven't been able to get it to download to ADE at all, but it did show up in my Sony library. I have a 505.
Sounds very strange. Have you tried contacting Kobo for some support? If you try that and don't get any joy from them, I can certainly try raising it with my contacts there, but you'd need to contact them first yourselves.

Quote:
I also have a book in my KOBO account that can only be read on the PC but that might be my fault.
Depends on what format you bought - Kobo sell 3 formats, "web", "mobile" and "epub". If you inadvertently bought the "web" one, then you won't be able to transfer it onto your 505.

Rachel
Old 01-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Rachel, I haven't contacted KOBO support yet but probably will. I actually prefer it in Sony, just wish I knew what steps I took to get it there. Thanks!

Karen thank you for your explaination. Can I change an ascm extension to epub? I have not yet tried calibre but it sounds like something I should explore.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #10
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
Karen thank you for your explaination. Can I change an ascm extension to epub? I have not yet tried calibre but it sounds like something I should explore.
No. All EPUB files with DRM are loaded to your computer in two parts. First, you download the .ACSM file. This is "run" (interpreted) by ADE (or the Sony Library, if installed, which also calls ADE) and the EPUB is downloaded by the software itself. All the ACSM file contains is info on how to download the EPUB, some licensing info needed to contact the licensing server and sometimes the DRM restrictions (I've found these to not always be accurate, or at least to be overruled by the EPUB itself).

For Kobo, I haven't found anyway to tell it what format you want - you buy a book, there is a download button. If there is an EPUB format available, there is a button to download it once you are done. Some books, however, are web or mobile device compatible only (of course, these have no download button, so this would not be the case on the one you have downloaded).

I do know that I had a lot more trouble with the last one from Random House Australia, because the Sony Reader software was attempting the authorization and would not even display the error message. I took it out of the loop and eventually convinced ADE to see the newest .ACSM file and the download completed.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #11
benham
Guru

Good explanation! I did contact KOBO and got everything straightened out. I downloaded the book according to their instructions and it opened my Sony Library and put it there. So Sony is the default Library, which is fine.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:46 PM   #12
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I can confirm the "save20" code works. I just used it yesterday to purchase a ebook from Kobo.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:08 AM   #13
rwillmer
luzme.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
I can confirm the "save20" code works. I just used it yesterday to purchase a ebook from Kobo.
Thanks for confirming this.

By the way, I've changed ebookprice.info to display the prices from Kobo to include this 20% discount until the code runs out at the end of Jan.

Rachel
Old 01-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
@Rachel,

Keep in mind that 20% discount will apply to ONLY 1 book.

Their payment system will reject it on subsequent orders and there appears to be no way to get them to sell more than one book at a time.

Changing a price compare algorithm on a one-off coupon may not give an apples-to-apples comparison your visitors are looking for.

Dan <><
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyDan View Post
@Rachel,

Keep in mind that 20% discount will apply to ONLY 1 book.

Their payment system will reject it on subsequent orders and there appears to be no way to get them to sell more than one book at a time.

Changing a price compare algorithm on a one-off coupon may not give an apples-to-apples comparison your visitors are looking for.

Dan <><
Are you sure of this?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote