Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
Mikeread
Passionate Reader
Mikeread began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can we say M92 is as good as Kindle Keyboard?

Hi,

I have a Kindle Keyboard, and I'd like to ask if an M92 would be as good as Kindle. I have not encountered a single problem with Kindle, except the obvious small 6" screen.

In a comparison of both
1- Software problems
2- screens
3- user experience in general

Thanks,
Mike
Mikeread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:00 AM   #2
crazydog
error
crazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Keyboard, M92
I have a K3 and a M92

2- screens: Screens are the same quality. Webbrowser of K3 displays text more darker than M92.
In PDF etc. they are the same

3- user experience: I hate Kindle list view without folders. That's why I love M92 - simple file management like on PC.
Kindle 3 responds to inputs much faster than M92.
M92 loads web pages much faster
K3 connects to wifi much faster
PDF on M92 is the best if you need scribbles. Kpdfviewer for Kindle does almost the same job - just no handwriting.

Overall: I don't like having 2 devices, but I can't decide which one is better. You have to choose for what application you need the ereader.
crazydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
Mikeread
Passionate Reader

I want a 9.7" e-ink reader mainly for PDFs, since 100% of my reading would be PDFs. Kindle Keyboard is horrible with PDFs, since the screen is just 6".
Do you recommend M92 for PDFs???
Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
crazydog
error
crazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Keyboard, M92
M92 is absolute King for PDF's.
With 1.8 Firmware its the best. You got so much options to optimize the pages and everything.
crazydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
Mikeread
Passionate Reader

That's exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks a lot
Advert
Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
naravive
Enthusiast
naravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle, Boox M92
Yes, I agree with crazydog absolutely. The only problem is that, right now, with the m92 being far superior for pdfs and the kindle being far superior for mobi files (or even epub converted to mobi), one is stuck with the prospect of having to tote around two devices. Boox could easily improve their epub and mobi viewers, I hope they do.
naravive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:07 AM   #7
HerrB
HerrB began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92
Hi Mike,

I had a 6 inch Kindle (June 2011) before I got myself an M92.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeread View Post
1- Software problems
Kindle wins hands down. In my use, I experienced NO problem with the software, albeit there are a few things that I did not particularly like or features I felt were missing.

M92: if it weren't for Booxtor's work as an interface between us and Onyx, then I would have sent the M92 straight back. The software is rather buggy and in many ways not intuitive. And there is no manual explaining it in enough detail. It is all being worked on, though.

Quote:
2- screens
Same technology. Both great screens.

Quote:
3- user experience in general
The Kindle experience is polished. It might lack features, but it is polished.

Figuratively speaking the M92's software has rough edges and splinters all over the place and you have to learn using it. With (and I cannot mention him often enough) Booxtor consolidating all user feedback into change and bug fix requests to Onyx, the M92 is improving, though.

If you want to read PDFs, then the M92 can be a big improvement. But PLEASE DO expect at least a few days of experimenting and frustration until it starts feeling like a natural tool for you.

Cheers,
J.
HerrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
Mikeread
Passionate Reader

Thanks a lot
Old 12-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
ljubavracar
ljubavracar began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX BOOX M92
Hi, Mikeread
I had Kindle DX (9.7'), kindle 4 wifi (6'), and now I have ONYX BOOX M92. My experience is that ONYX M92 is absolutely winner. I am reading PDFs, mobi, comics i docx with no problem. I highly recommending M92. And yes, there is few very, very small bugs but Kindle don't has bugs simply because Kindle don't has as many feature as M92 has.
My vote to M92. Hope I helped.
ljubavracar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #10
Mikeread
Passionate Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljubavracar View Post
Hi, Mikeread
I had Kindle DX (9.7'), kindle 4 wifi (6'), and now I have ONYX BOOX M92. My experience is that ONYX M92 is absolutely winner. I am reading PDFs, mobi, comics i docx with no problem. I highly recommending M92. And yes, there is few very, very small bugs but Kindle don't has bugs simply because Kindle don't has as many feature as M92 has.
My vote to M92. Hope I helped.
Yes you have helped a lot man
Thanks a lot,
Mike
Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

I would add that I had possibility to get and use Kindle DX for free! And I refused as it was unusable for my needs. Instead I bought M92 almost year ago and I've never regreted this decision.

I loved M92 from the very beginning... So, my opinion may be biased.

But of course, if you want only read and have up to 50-100 books or documents Kindle DX will do the job just perfectly. If you need more, M92 is worth considering.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
Hui Neng
Ebookreader
Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Nook Simple Touch - Nook HD+
Quote:
Yes you have helped a lot man
Thanks a lot,
Mike
Actually there are other options: given the fact that tablet displays have improved enormously - why not go for an Nexus 10? Gives you many more options on PDFs and considerably less hassles than M92.
More bugs than a Kindle because of more features: give me a break!
Hui Neng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
Mikeread
Passionate Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui Neng View Post
Actually there are other options: given the fact that tablet displays have improved enormously - why not go for an Nexus 10? Gives you many more options on PDFs and considerably less hassles than M92.
More bugs than a Kindle because of more features: give me a break!
I need an e-ink reader, not a tablet. I wouldn't consider a tablet for $50
Old 12-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #14
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui Neng View Post
It depends on individual needs. I have M92 and also Asus Eee Transformer Pad Prime 201 + keyboard. So I can compare. It has better (or not worse) display than Nexus 10.

Yes, for browsing web, receiving/sending emails, watching movies, photographs, Skype and reading short texts, it is for sure superior to M92.

For long reading in any light conditions (I mean mainly exess of light), anotating texts and scribling to them and for conditions with no or difficult to reach possibility to charge, M92 is superior.

So it depends, what the user needs are. There is no ideal all purpose device to read and process texts and visual information available now. Each technology has its pros and cons.

If tablet, better choice than Nexus 10 might be Galaxy Note 10. I do not have experience with it, but incorporating precision pen in tablet seems to solve some of the usability obstacles of other tablets.

But even if you compare Note 10 and M92. M92 still wins in having less eyestrain, a lot better readibility in extreme light and many times longer usage on battery.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
Mikeread
Passionate Reader

I have problems with my vision so e-ink is the best thing for my condition, I have read many books in just a month for the first time in my life