Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #151
Rojofo
Zealot
Rojofo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi to All,

I'm having problems transfering dictionaries to my various Kobos using a Mac on El Capitan OS X.
The problem is that the "internal" files of the Kobo do not appear on a Mac. You can only see "content" files.
Consequently the "/dict" file where I want to put my new dictionaries is not visible.

Can some charitable soul tell me how to make the "internal" files visible ?

Thank you in advance,
Rojofo.
Rojofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #152
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I'm not a Mac owner but I think if you Google 'mac show hidden files' you should find the answer.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2015, 06:11 AM   #153
enqueue
enqueue began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I think this is not a matter of hidden files, but is due to the fact that the newer version of the Kobo desktop application won't mount the root of the device anymore, but only a sub-directory. I do not know how to solve this, either.
enqueue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:09 AM   #154
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by enqueue View Post
I think this is not a matter of hidden files, but is due to the fact that the newer version of the Kobo desktop application won't mount the root of the device anymore, but only a sub-directory. I do not know how to solve this, either.
I very much doubt this. The device is mounted by the OS. This is independent of the desktop application. You don't need to run it at all. The .kobo directory will be there. If the .kobo directory was being mounted, you wouldn't have access to the other parts of the user partition and would not be able to sideload books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #155
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Try this in a terminal, Rojofo:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE && killall Finder
All hidden files should be shown now. To hide the files again type:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE && killall Finder
Maybe this can solve your problem.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2015, 06:22 AM   #156
Rojofo
Zealot

Many thanks to jackie_w, davidfor and trekk.

I discovered that when I "revealed" the hidden files on my Mac, the files on my connected Kobo also became visible and I was able to copy the dictionary onto the reader.

Merry Christmas to all,
Rojofo.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:25 AM   #157
Rojofo
Zealot

A good custom Spanish/English dictionary ?

Merry Christmas to all!

Having had my dictionary loading problems solved, I would now love to find a better, more complete custom Spanish to English dictionary.

The ordinary Kobo Spanish to English dictionary is not so bad but often I can't directly find the word I'm looking for.

There are two reasons for this. The first, obviously, is that the word is not in the dictionary. Consequently, I would love to have a more complete dictonary — one with South American usage as well would be great.

Secondly, there is a specific problem with Spanish (and probably other languages but not English!) which is the complex inflectional system. For example, looking up "dandoselo" directs you to "dar", however, too often, this doesn't work.When you come across an unknown complex verb form, you are told that the word is not in the dictionary, especially if the verb is not very frequent, even though the infinitive is in the dictionary.

So a good "reading" dictionary would have to be very different from a simple "paper" dictionary put into a Kobo-readable form. A good "reading" dictionary should have a complete list of all the possible forms of the verb, including all of the possible suffixed pronouns. Normal paper dictionaries don't include these forms as you can generally easily derive the infinitive. In Spanish the number of these forms is surprisingly large!

Of course, there is an annoyingly round-about way of solving this problem with a "poorer" dictionary. You quit the book you are reading, go to the home page of the Kobo, summon up the Spanish/English dictionary and then type in and look up what you think is the infinitive of the verb, which, often enough, is indeed present (despite the fact you were originally told that the word is not in the dictionary when you looked it up inside the book you are reading). This time-wasting solution is what I would like to avoid in a good "reading" dictionary by having all the verb forms and other derived forms directly accessible inside the book itself, giving immediate access to the infinitive and its translation.

Given these conditions, I wonder if anyone could point out to me a "good" Spanish to English custom dictionary, more complete than the ordinary Kobo dictionary ?

Many thanks,
Rojofo.

Last edited by Rojofo; 12-25-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:58 PM   #158
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojofo View Post
Of course, there is an annoyingly round-about way of solving this problem with a "poorer" dictionary. You quit the book you are reading, go to the home page of the Kobo, summon up the Spanish/English dictionary and then type in and look up what you think is the infinitive of the verb, which, often enough, is indeed present (despite the fact you were originally told that the word is not in the dictionary when you looked it up inside the book you are reading). This time-wasting solution is what I would like to avoid in a good "reading" dictionary by having all the verb forms and other derived forms directly accessible inside the book itself, giving immediate access to the infinitive and its translation.
I can't help with the dictionary, but you don't need to close the book to do this. If you go to search within the book, you can search the dictionary by pressing the drop down in the top right and selecting "Dictionary". Search is on the menu accessed from the bottom bar, or when you select a word, it is on the popup menu.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:11 AM   #159
Rojofo
Zealot

Thank you Davidfor for this tip.

I'm still hoping for a more complete dictionary though...

Best,
Rojofo.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:50 PM   #160
scoot.at
FlapJack
scoot.at began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, Onyx Boox Note
Hi. How can I use mobi dictionaries on my Kobo?
scoot.at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:55 AM   #161
penna
penna began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch 2.0 kobo Glo HD
I hate to dig up an old thread however it might be helpful.

Has anyone been able to install an "Oxford English dictionary" onto the Kobo reader?

How do you go about doing that? - I know with each new firmware, circumstances change.

I am looking into the possibility of buying a Kobo reader however the dictionaries are the most important point for me.
penna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:05 AM   #162
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Wiktionary English dictionary.

WordNet English Dictionary

GCIDE English Dictionary

Last edited by oren64; 08-02-2016 at 05:12 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:36 PM   #163
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by penna View Post
I hate to dig up an old thread however it might be helpful.

Has anyone been able to install an "Oxford English dictionary" onto the Kobo reader?

How do you go about doing that? - I know with each new firmware, circumstances change.

I am looking into the possibility of buying a Kobo reader however the dictionaries are the most important point for me.
The OED is copyright protected. Also you can't get it in the Kobo format, so you would have to convert it. It can be done, but I don't think we would be allowed to share the results.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:42 AM   #164
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
The OED is copyright protected. Also you can't get it in the Kobo format, so you would have to convert it. It can be done, but I don't think we would be allowed to share the results.
But, if a program was written to convert the OED, then the program used would be able to be shared.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:23 PM   #165
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I believe OED isn't a good dictionary for reading anyway. It is more for research, not something suitable for ereaders. But something like Collins or Chambers would be perfect. I have Chambers in my smartphone as a go-to dictionary, Shorter Oxford English in my Mac for when I need more, and Collins in hardcover because everyone wants a printed dictionary. I usually use Chambers when I need look up a word.

I have Webster's 1913 in my Kobo, but I rarely use it.

I strongly suggest you to buy Chambers for your phone, the app is great, and dictionary is too. It is cheap and the same as the printed version.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote