Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #181
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm not sure what your talking about , but the Wool Omnibus from Kobo that I purchased (around July 18) had a full table of contents.
I don't have the omnibus, I have the first 5 books. At least the first 3 did not have TOC, there was just 1 chapter called "Start". I converted the chapter headers (just a number) from a <p> tag into an <h2> tag and then had Sigil regenerate the TOC.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #182
hughhowey
Enthusiast
hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When I fixed up the formatting, I also fixed up the ToC in the NCX.

I also made sure the files were properly named as well. I use Sigil to split, rename & fix the ToC. Works very well.
I wish you'd teach me how to do this. I've fired up Sigil a few times and can't make heads nor tails of the thing.

The reason the Omnibus has a proper TOC on Kobo and Kindle is because Rob Siders of 52 Novels formatted that one. A few of my other books have been formatted recently by another author to include a TOC and cover image and other stuff. The Nook versions are probably the most out of date. It's a lot to keep track of, a dozen works on four different outlets, all why you're trying to write the next book and produce an audiobook and a dozen other things.

What I need is for my wife to quit her job and help me with all the business stuff. But we worry about what that dynamic might do to our marriage. (She worries. I think it'd be great!)
hughhowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #183
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughhowey View Post
I wish you'd teach me how to do this. I've fired up Sigil a few times and can't make heads nor tails of the thing.
It's actually pretty simple. I had to fix the Nook versions because there were no chapter breaks. Basically you open each chapter, select the title, and then on the left side select one of the h tags to apply to that title. When you've done that for all the chapters, on the right you have the TOC generator, on its bottom you have a button to generate the TOC.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #184
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughhowey View Post
Be happy to give you a hand with Sigil. It's really not that difficult. send me a PM please and we can work out th best way for me to help you out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #185
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
It's actually pretty simple. I had to fix the Nook versions because there were no chapter breaks. Basically you open each chapter, select the title, and then on the left side select one of the h tags to apply to that title. When you've done that for all the chapters, on the right you have the TOC generator, on its bottom you have a button to generate the TOC.
One thing I've done after the the renaming/splitting/ToC is to get out of Sigil to do the work cleaning up the code/fixing the formatting. I do that in Notepad++ using Firefox to preview if needed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #186
Ghiizhar
Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Bought the Omnibus a few months ago. Just bought #6, and "I, Zombie" to support the author and his fine works, and his most excellent attitude about DRM.
Ghiizhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #187
Valhalla
Zealot
Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Really enjoying the Omnibus Edition. However, I am NOT enjoying the price difference between US and Australia - $6 in US, $10 in Australia. I presume this is because it is now handled by a rip-off publisher in the UK now. I bet Mr Howey is not seeing the extra cash!
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #188
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
Really enjoying the Omnibus Edition. However, I am NOT enjoying the price difference between US and Australia - $6 in US, $10 in Australia. I presume this is because it is now handled by a rip-off publisher in the UK now. I bet Mr Howey is not seeing the extra cash!
Of course not, the extra money is to prop up the poor struggling local publishers in Australia God bless 'em. Why on earth would the author need the money?!
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #189
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
How to Land a Film Deal for Your Self-Published Book

An interview with Hugh Howie as quoted from Jeff Rivera's blog

Quote:
Wool Author Hugh Howey on How to Land a Film Deal for Your Self-Published Book

Written by Jeff Rivera

Hugh Howey is living every indie author's dream. He landed a film deal with 20th Century Fox and even Random House acquired the print rights to his Wool series. And he did it the right way, organically. I had to track him down and ask him, How in the world did you do it? My readers want to know! (And so do I)

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-05-2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: updated link. delete most of quote text
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #190
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Wool Audiobook: Behind the scenes with Minnie Goode

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #191
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
Thanks for posting the video, alansplace! I used to listen to audiobooks at work, but this preview of Wool sounds so compelling that I wouldn't be able to do anything but sit and listen, completely transfixed!

Last edited by nookkatz; 08-13-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Can't spell!
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:13 AM   #192
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Due to this thread I went and bought myself the Wool Omnibus not long ago. Started it last night, read sixty or so pages and I'm very, very disappointed. Not with the story, the writing or any of that stuff, that's all brilliant, but I can tell it's going to be far too short and end all too quickly (I love me a weighty tome, so I do).

Still, although it really is another proof that you can't have it all, I'll just say to you Mr. Howey what the girls usually say to me: I really am enjoying it even though it's not very long!
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:05 AM   #193
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I left on hollidays forgetting to take some books (oups !!). Got wool as it was one of the drm-free book on my to read list. I rather liked it. I am somewhere in book 5.

By the way, why is the ommnibus edition cheaper en kobo than just book one ?
And i can't find book 2 3 4 5 on kobo. (might be the search on kobo being crap again.)
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #194
Kindoll
Enthusiast
Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought this was an excellent series, and promptly recommended it to my friend who bought the whole series too.

Solo is an amazing character.

Looking forward to more of Mr Howey's stuff. I do have First Shift but have yet to read it.

Big thumbsup for Wool.
Kindoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:34 AM   #195
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
50 pages or so to go. Excellent stuff, very Fallout3-esque. Actually, is it bad form to ask the author if that particular game had a part in kicking off the story?
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote