Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-26-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
jabuckley
jabuckley began at the beginning.

Device: undecided
simple needs

I am an avid book reader. I average a book a week. I only read just before going to bed. I don't like reading books on a computer because it strains my eyes. I have lots of pdf books that I have never read. The Kindle announcement renewed my interest in ebook readers. I have been all through this forum reading about all the readers. Lots of pro's and con's, lots of opinions. But my needs are very simple:

NON-issues:

Battery life
Aesthetics
File formats and conversions
DRM
Weight
WiFi, network connectivity
Bluetooth
Pictures, graphics, artwork
Music
Non-free books
Dictionary lookups and other non-essentials
Protective covers
Boot time
Power management
Highlighting / selecting text
Touch screens / stylus pens

IMPORTANT issues:

Download free ebooks
Convert file format if necessary
Transfer book using USB
Read
Bookmarking would be nice, but not necessary.
Page turning should be fast
Adjusting text size, font type, line spacing
Recharging using USB or included power adapter
4x6 reading area, like a standard paperback book
Sharp, clear text
Easy on the eyes, no strain
Memory card expandability

I may be asking for too much. Readers have come a long way since they were first introduced. If I can get a reader to fit my needs from between $300US and $350US, I would be pleased.

Thank You
jabuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #2
mocelet
Connoisseur
mocelet began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / Palm Vx / Nokia E65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabuckley View Post
<snip>
IMPORTANT issues:
<snip>
4x6 reading area, like a standard paperback book
<snip>
This one alone rules out all e-ink readers except the iLiad, and the iLiad doesn't really meet this either. 4"x6" is ~10" diagonal, most e-ink is 6" diagonal, and the iLiad is 8.1".

That said, if you crop the margins from a paperback book it is much closer to 8" diagonal.

If you really want 10" diagonal then you will need a tablet PC type solution, which will be an LCD screen and you then lose "Sharp, clear text" and "Easy on the eyes, no strain"

All your other "must haves" are met by all e-ink readers on the market (as far as I can remember)
mocelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2007, 10:19 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you are in the US, then there are three options that all use the same identical 6" E-Ink screen: Sony PRS-505, Bookeen Cybook, Amazon Kindle. The Sony has a newer screen controller and can do 8 level grey scale (vs 4 level in the other two). Page turns is the fastest available with E-Ink and should be comparable between the three. The Sony is the cheapest, and you can probably get it before Christmas (and see one in person first at a Border's bookstore). There is no compelling reason to pay more in your case for the others. Note that you will need to use the software from this site to convert many of your e-books for the Sony.

If you are outside the US, the Bookeen is probably your best choice - even though the lack of access to the Sony and Amazon e-books stores is not an issue for you.

None of these are very good with PDFs - you are much better off with a reflowable format. With a reflowable format, the 6" screen is big enough (and you can change the font size as needed, the larger the font the fewer words per page).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:05 PM   #4
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocelet View Post
This one alone rules out all e-ink readers except the iLiad, and the iLiad doesn't really meet this either. 4"x6" is ~10" diagonal, most e-ink is 6" diagonal, and the iLiad is 8.1".

That said, if you crop the margins from a paperback book it is much closer to 8" diagonal.
Err, your math is off. 4"x6" is barely over 7" diagonal. (Check your Pythagorean Theorem.) The 6" e-ink displays are close enough for the OP's wants.

A 10" diagonal would correspond to, for example a 6" x 8" display, which is huge.

Last edited by DrMoze; 11-26-2007 at 11:08 PM.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:12 PM   #5
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Um, (4*4)+(6*6)=52, and the square root of that is 7.2,
not 10.

Quote:
if you crop the margins from a paperback book it is much closer to 8" diagonal.
Under 7, usually, for the text area: standard six-inch screen. But margin cropping is more than most people want to bother with, really.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2007, 02:26 AM   #6
mocelet
Connoisseur
mocelet began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / Palm Vx / Nokia E65
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Err, your math is off. 4"x6" is barely over 7" diagonal. (Check your Pythagorean Theorem.) The 6" e-ink displays are close enough for the OP's wants.

A 10" diagonal would correspond to, for example a 6" x 8" display, which is huge.
Duh me. Yes, I realised this as I fell asleep last night.

Ignore me, or at least my maths...

Sorry
mocelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #7
jabuckley
jabuckley began at the beginning.

Device: undecided
Thanks folks. I ordered a Sony PRS-505. For my needs, I think it will work splendidly. I will be downloading lfr books either from here or manybooks.net or the gutenberg project, or any other place I can find free books.

Thanks again.
jabuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:23 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Another place to look at is Munsey's.
www.blackmask.com

I would recommend avoiding Manybooks. The quality is disappointing.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:06 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Another place to look at is Munsey's.
www.blackmask.com

I've downloaded from Manybooks and then did my own conversion.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:04 AM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabuckley View Post
Thanks folks. I ordered a Sony PRS-505. For my needs, I think it will work splendidly. I will be downloading lfr books either from here or manybooks.net or the gutenberg project, or any other place I can find free books.
My needs are very similar to yours.
I am very satisfied with Sony Reader PRS500

There are many, many books freely downloadable from the net. Just search this forum.
Do not forget to check
http://craphound.com/
or
http://www.baen.com/library/
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:54 PM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
In what way? I read some books from Manybooks but did not notice anything special. But I have not read so many books from other places so I have not so much to compare with.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
They're just a bit rough, is all -- they're machine translations of Project Gutenberg texts, and have the usual issues associated with that process.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote