Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
jerome
Enthusiast
jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Entourage Edge, Dell Streak
Delta Electronic's 13" e-Magazine (color ereader)!

There's a couple of site with the news, but this has a picture:

http://www.komonews.com/news/tech/95317949.html

price: unknown
expected release: December 2010
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Nice screen size!

I could be interested if they add a stylus/touch screen for document markup.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
It sounds promising, but the screen size is outrageous... It would be only fitting for graphic novels and really big graphs.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Screen size would be great for working with letter sized documents.

The bulk of my reading is PDFs of scholarly journal articles--many of which are 8.5x11" sized and really can't be reflowed as they have lots of tables and figures that need to display accurately, need the text to be around them in the right places etc.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
The screen size is PERFECT for e-magazines!
I could get rid of a lot of clutter, if I could get my magazine subscriptions on something like that! (drooling)
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
It sounds promising, but the screen size is outrageous... It would be only fitting for graphic novels and really big graphs.
And magazines.

And comic books.

In color!

Come on, boyz... we are so close!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

According to the article:
Quote:
Lee said publishers may offer the e-readers free with a two or three years magazine subscription.
Isn't that how the eBookwise got started?

As long as you could use it for more than one magazine subscription, like several... up to a dozen or so! I wouldn't want to have a different one for every magazine I subscribe too!

I didn't see any mention of storage capacity or speed, which would be nice to know.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

The large form factor makers really need to figure out that a major market will be technical users who really need the annotation feature without which the honking huge screen is useless.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
The large form factor makers really need to figure out that a major market will be technical users who really need the annotation feature without which the honking huge screen is useless.
Agreed! Not just technical users--but also the academic market with both students and professors doing a ton of reading and annotating. And many/most textbooks and research articles etc. are large format and need the big screen.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
fishface
Connoisseur

I personally am immensely skeptical that anyone would shell out US$800-$1000 for a huge notebook-sized e-ink appliance that is annoying to lug around and can't consume anything other than e-print media, UNLESS the user needs it for their day job, in which case the pen is essential. I mean, a "magazine reader", for serious? Are they going to market this just to rock stars, drug dealers and multinational CEOs?
Old 06-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #11
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
I personally am immensely skeptical that anyone would shell out US$800-$1000 for a huge notebook-sized e-ink appliance that is annoying to lug around and can't consume anything other than e-print media, UNLESS the user needs it for their day job, in which case the pen is essential. I mean, a "magazine reader", for serious? Are they going to market this just to rock stars, drug dealers and multinational CEOs?
Very true--especially given the price of the iPad. I didn't notice that this was color e-ink at first glance, though it was LCD.

A 12-13" LCD tablet (or something new like PixelQI, Mirasol etc. down the road) is what's really needed IMO for technical users, academic users etc. as most aren't going to shell out for something that's ONLY a reader.

I'd stick with the printouts of PDFs I've been reading and marking up my whole career before buying a large screen e-ink device.

But give me a big screen tablet devices for $700 or less that I can read and mark things up with a stylus, but also use for other media consumption (movies etc.), net surfing, e-mail, etc. and I'd be all over it.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
"E-Magazine - about half the weight of Apple Inc.'s iPad - is made especially for professionals to read magazines or documents with color charts, Lee said."

Translation: they're going after the Corporate market at $1000+, just like Brother.

"Delta's Lee said the company hopes to develop in two to three years particle-based displays that can display sharper colors like magazine pages, instead of the more shady colors its e-Magazine now displays."

Translation: Still not as saturated as an LCD panel.

Not a consumer product.
Not going very far.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #13
fishface
Connoisseur

It'll be in good company for near-misses in the professional reader scene.

new Delta thingy: Good size, color is a bonus, NO PEN = FAIL
Que, Skiff: Nice size, great weight, NO PEN = FAIL
DR800, Asus EEE Tablet: Pen: yes! Size = 8" FAIL
Samsung e61: Size = 6" EVEN WORSE FAIL
Entourage Edge: Ok size, pen support, WEIGHT & BATTERY LIFE FAIL.

Sometimes I think they're screwing it up on purpose, just to mess with us.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #14
rebarnmom
Wizard

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
"E-Magazine - about half the weight of Apple Inc.'s iPad - is made especially for professionals to read magazines or documents with color charts, Lee said."

Translation: they're going after the Corporate market at $1000+, just like Brother.

"Delta's Lee said the company hopes to develop in two to three years particle-based displays that can display sharper colors like magazine pages, instead of the more shady colors its e-Magazine now displays."

Translation: Still not as saturated as an LCD panel.

Not a consumer product.
Not going very far.
To me if it is light and fits in a totebag or a briefcase, I wouldn't find it annoying to lug around. even though I'm not sure that it is a device that I would be taking everywhere with me, like my Sony. I am a consumer, and I find it a very desirable product! Have they even said anything about price?
Old 06-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #15
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
If nothing, it's a step in a good direction - I like the size, and colour e-ink sounds great. I have to say, I would probaby prefer something like this over a tablet device if it had an annotation function that worked well.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote