Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #31
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Try one that is not the latest version and check to make sure that "Linux-" is within the first 40 bytes of the file.
in diags-kernel there are 32 char before Linux-

kernel images with 1.0: http://db.tt/8tYatHXY
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #32
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kindle Touch
Exclamation Keep your exploit safe.

Quote:
Agreed. I received a couple of PMs saying to save the exploit for later, but I think smaller is better. I will release it soon...
Do not release the exploit. We might need it later. I managed to successfully jailbreak 5.1 by going into diagnostics without SSH or other complications. I believe that it's not complicated at all and that this should be the approach that we should stick to until it gets patched.
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #33
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftail View Post
Do not release the exploit. We might need it later. I managed to successfully jailbreak 5.1 by going into diagnostics without SSH or other complications. I believe that it's not complicated at all and that this should be the approach that we should stick to until it gets patched.
How did you do this? Does data.tar.gz work when booting diags?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #34
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
in diags-kernel there are 32 char before Linux-

kernel images with 1.0: http://db.tt/8tYatHXY
Thanks. I have some from rastik, also using 1.0. There is now a 1.3 fix (much faster than 1.0, which is why I did 1.2 to begin with, but a "last second" change (actually in the mobileread edit box) screwed it up.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #35
urbster1
urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
I can confirm this, I tried it too. I got stuck in diags mode but ran some tests and the device_info.xml file was created and I was able to disable diags mode, exit and boot normally. I haven't installed any other hacks yet since I've heard they don't work.

edit: I tried deleting ENABLE_DIAGS but it didn't help until after the tests were run. I re-created it and then was able to exit diags through the menu.

Last edited by urbster1; 04-13-2012 at 01:21 PM.
urbster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #36
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Ixtab was kind enough to direct me to
http://yifan.lu/p/kindle-touch-jailbreak/
Method 3 still works.
The only (minor) problem is when disabling diagnostics you get the missing device_info.xml (i'm not sure I remembered the name correctly) file error. But after running one of the tests (I ran a few without checking so I don't know which one exactly) the xml is created and you can exit diagnostics. If you want, I can enter diagnostics and try the tests one by one to see which one creates the file.

I also deleted the ENABLE_DIAGS file in USB mode while experimenting how to disable diagnostics but I believe that is optional.

Last edited by wolftail; 04-13-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #37
geekmaster

Do you have the new 5.1.0 diags partition? It is different. I posted one with SSH pre-installed. I will not know if diags data.tar.gz works until I update my main partition too.

If that still works, there is no need to expose my DIFFERENT jailbreak method yet. And yes, a 20KB jailbreak is better than a 25MB (compressed) diags image...
Old 04-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #38
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
I think there is a bit of confusion in this thread by now...

I'll try to clear some of it, hoping that I don't add even more confusion

- I believe that "method 3" (and ONLY method 3) is still working. However, I have only checked this on a KT which was prepared in the following way:
  1. main partition from gitbrew forensics (5.0.0)
  2. diags partition WITH SSH from gitbrew forensics (5.0.?)
  3. update to 5.1.0.
  4. follow "method 3".
  5. result: payload (jailbreak) is installed, but unable to get out of diags normally
So in principle, the changes that 5.1.0 does to diags DO NOT seem to affect the ability to install the jailbreak.

Therefore, there is no need to burn another jailbreak method at this time. The only problem is the "unable to get out of diags" thing, but if wolftail can find out exactly which test has to be run to fix this, we're essentially done.

The only thing remaining would then be to update the instructions to insert 1 or 2 steps between the current steps 12. and 13. on http://yifan.lu/p/kindle-touch-jailbreak/

To summarize: we probably don't need to change anything, except the documentation.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #39
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I think there is a bit of confusion in this thread by now...

I'll try to clear some of it, hoping that I don't add even more confusion

- I believe that "method 3" (and ONLY method 3) is still working. However, I have only checked this on a KT which was prepared in the following way:
  1. main partition from gitbrew forensics (5.0.0)
  2. diags partition WITH SSH from gitbrew forensics (5.0.?)
  3. update to 5.1.0.
  4. follow "method 3".
  5. result: payload (jailbreak) is installed, but unable to get out of diags normally
So in principle, the changes that 5.1.0 does to diags DO NOT seem to affect the ability to install the jailbreak.

Therefore, there is no need to burn another jailbreak method at this time. The only problem is the "unable to get out of diags" thing, but if wolftail can find out exactly which test has to be run to fix this, we're essentially done.

The only thing remaining would then be to update the instructions to insert 1 or 2 steps between the current steps 12. and 13. on http://yifan.lu/p/kindle-touch-jailbreak/

To summarize: we probably don't need to change anything, except the documentation.
I no longer have the gitbrew diags_ssh image link in my "simple debricking" post. I now have a 5.1.0 diags_ssh instead. Perhaps it is looking for a file on /mnt/us that I did not delete, but after flashing this image, my exit menu works fine.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #40
geekmaster

I did "strings" on "system_diagnostics" and found out what causes the "device_info.xml not found..." message when you try to disable diags from the menu.

You can create the missing file with:

mkdir -p /mnt/us/diagnostic_logs
touch /mnt/us/diagnostic_logs/device_info.xml

I first renamed my diagnostic_logs folder, then did the above commands, and then the diags menu successfully disabled diags and rebooted to main.

Those two commands should be added to the jailbreak instructions between steps 12 and 13.

The "disable diagnostics" menu adds an xml stanza to the xml file that identifies the diagnostics version number. Other diagnostic tests add other identifying info to that file as well when you run them (but they are smart enough to create a missing folder and files).

EDIT: For those who did not understand the purpose of these linux commands, they go in the RUNME.sh file, or better yet, the payload dropped by data.tar.gz. They do nothing if the folder and file do not exist, but they create them if they are missing. All automatic, with no manual steps or worry by the end user. The USER does not need extra steps. Those are part of the payload...

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-13-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #41
wolftail
Connoisseur

Lightbulb Easier way to exit diagnostics mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
The only problem is the "unable to get out of diags" thing, but if wolftail can find out exactly which test has to be run to fix this, we're essentially done.
I have an even better solution. All you need to do is create an empty device_info.xml in /mnt/us/diagnostic_logs/ (that's where all the diagnostics results are saved) and the Kindle will disable and exit diagnostics gracefully (and will even populate the file with some info). After successfully rebooting, the diagnostic_logs folder can be safely deleted.

I will do some more experiments just to see exactly which diagnostic option has created the file in the first place later (I feel that at the moment, my Kindle has had a bit too many reboots for it's health and/or sanity ).
Old 04-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #42
wolftail
Connoisseur

Post 5.1 Jailbreak Guide

I have created a short guide on how to Jailbreak 5.1 in the wiki:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind....tar.gz_method
Old 04-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #43
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftail View Post
I have created a short guide on how to Jailbreak 5.1 in the wiki:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind....tar.gz_method
I don't see a directory for /mnt/us/diagnostic_logs/ in the KT. Does this jailbreak method require additional steps first?
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #44
wolftail
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowlight View Post
I don't see a directory for /mnt/us/diagnostic_logs/ in the KT. Does this jailbreak method require additional steps first?
No previous steps required. Create the directory if it's not there. I will edit the wiki to make it clear.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #45
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
OK as in creating a series of folders? Sorry for my ignorance.
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote