Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #1
Cfctorres
Cfctorres doesn't litterCfctorres doesn't litterCfctorres doesn't litter

Device: Ipad
Any book recommendations

Sorry if I'm in the wrong area, feel free to move it (new).

Hi everyone

I'm a 17 year old guy who loves reading, just finished reading a series and have that familiar empty feeling inside so really want to start on a new one but I'm struggling to find one by myself so I've come here for help. I'm a bit hesitant on starting a new series (book has to grip me from the start)

So far I've read:
Harry potter
Hunger games
Percy Jackson
Alex Rider
Inheritance
Twilight
The rangers apprentice (just finished)
Heroes of Olympus

These are the series that popped to mind so I guess my favourites, I do t really read stand alone books but open to new things

Any help is appreciated, I'm on holiday and really need some books to read.

Thanks in advance and sorry again If in wrong forum or an overly asked question.
Cfctorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Have you read His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman? The first book is The Golden Compass.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
Cfctorres
Cfctorres doesn't litterCfctorres doesn't litterCfctorres doesn't litter

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
Have you read His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman? The first book is The Golden Compass.
I haven't, I'll take a look.

Thanks for the reply + link
Cfctorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
You might like "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I would have a look at:

* Everything by Brian Sanderson, except his work on Wheel of Time (which I haven't yet read)

* The Tales of Einarinn by Juliet E. McKenna

* Anything by Guy Gavriel Kay (although particularly Tigana, The Lions of Al-Rassan and A Song for Arbonne)

* Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock (and if it hooks you, you can continue the series)

Just to mention a few which sprang to mind right now.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Try David Weber's War God and Safehold Series.
Also try The Empire of Man Series by John Ringo and David Weber.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
There are many old writers with series also....
Edgar Rice Burroughs' Princess of Mars series comes to mind.
Check out http://www.gutenberg.org/
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
You might enjoy the Dragonlance series. Start out with Chronicles, and then read Legends.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
Little_bear
Groupie
Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch (gifted to a friend), Sony PRS-T2, iPad mini
Some other suggestions:
Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey
Vorkosigan Saga series by Lois McMaster Bujold
Foreigner series by C.J. Cherryh
I'm sure you'll find the above ones at any library.

In Her Name series by Michael R. Hicks. The first and the forth book from the series are free at least at Amazon.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Little_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Scott Lynch - The Gentleman Bastards.

How about "The Lies of Locke Lamora" - Scott Lynch - I think it's in ebook, & the sequel, but Inkmesh'll probly tell you.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
I'm sure you'd like the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks and the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You must read "The Lord of the Rings". It's a book that everyone should read.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I would consider
Eoin Colfer Artemis Fowl
Derek Landy Skullduggery Pleasant
Jim Butcher The Dresden Files
Glen Cook Garrett P.I.
Simon R. Green

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #14
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight
Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
How about Isaac Asimov's: "Robot Series". Something of a mix between mystery and science fiction.

The Caves of Steel
The Naked Sun
The Robots of Dawn
Robots and Empire
Joshua.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #15
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Do you like boring characters that seem to sit around yakking the whole book and never seem to do anything? Then Mack Bolan books are definitive not the type of books you would like. The action starts on page one and simply does not let up until the last paragraph of the last page. They will keep you up at nights wondering how mack is going to make it through the latest challenge, I have done just that. The Mack Bolan books are comprised of the Executioner series (currently 400 books), Super Bolan (currently 150 books) and Stony Man (currently 150 books).
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote