Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 03:22 AM   #1
Amy44
Amy44 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Win Vista to Win 7 Upgrade messed up Calibre

I use Kindle 1 and have used Calibre 0.6.13 to manage my library. I love the program and all of the things it can do.

I recently did an UPGRADE (not clean install) of Windows Vista to Win 7. I uninstalled Calibre 0.6.13 and Backed up my Calibre Library before the upgrade.

I decided that when I reinstalled Calibre in Win 7, I would try the upgraded 0.6.55.

Now I can't get my library back. I tried putting it where the preferences path said it would be. Doesn't show up. I even uninstalled 0.6.55, went back to 0.6.13 and tried to put my library in first and link to via preferences. Didn't work. Tried installing and then linking - same problem.

I have hundreds of books in my original library and would very much like to be able to use it in Windows 7.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Amy
Amy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:32 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The chances are that there are permissions issues on the Calibre library files. This is a frequent problem when one does an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 in that it leaves files under the Documents and Settings area as read-only and Calibre needs full access.

What I would suggest is:
- Copy your existing Calibre library folder to a new location.
- Right-Click the Calibre Library folder and ask for its properties. Then ensure that the permissions are set to allow anyone full control. Make sure you tick the box for the permissions to be applied to all sub-folders and contained files.
- Relaunch calibre and tell it to use the new location for the Calibre library.

Hopefully that will resole your problem.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
Amy44
Amy44 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Thank you itimpi, it worked!

Your help saved me hours of time redoing my library.

Much appreciated.

Amy
Amy44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, library management