Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2011, 04:30 AM   #91
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I've left WiFi on my K4 since I got it and the battery gauge has hardly moved. If this was my K3 with 3G it'd be below half by now. I am loving this!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:27 AM   #92
carthoris
carthoris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carthoris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carthoris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carthoris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carthoris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carthoris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carthoris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carthoris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carthoris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carthoris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carthoris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
answer no,it's not:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...er,3040-3.html
carthoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #93
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simca View Post
The only thing that worries me on the Kindle 4 is the halved battery life. I -hate- the keyboard on the Kindle 3, I couldn't care less about audio/internet browsing/etc, and the storage space is silly when I only store like 5 ebooks at a time anyway because I manage my collection with Calibre.

However, if the battery life is halved... :<

I love laying on my bed for hours reading and not having to worry about charging it every night. It may be quite annoying to get into that habit. I may go for it though. I really don't like the Special Offers (it was a gift), and I've heard you can pay an extra $30 to turn them off on the K4.
Hi Simca,

From what I can tell, Amazon says their 1 month battery life estimate is based on half an hour of reading per day with the battery off. Well, I received my K4 about a week ago and have definitely been reading for way more than an hour a day (wireless mostly off) and the battery indicator has barely budged.

If I continue in this same way, it's hard for me to imagine that the battery won't last for at least 3-4 weeks as advertised.

I never cared that much one way or the other about the keyboard on my K3 (it just was, if you know what I mean), but I'm finding I really like the K4's form factor without the keyboard (smaller, lighter, faster).

And keep in mind, you could always buy a K4, try it for yourself, and return it within 30 days if you decide that it's not giving you what you need.

--xari.
xari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #94
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
You folks are making me want a $79 Kindle (in addition to, not as a replacement). Quit it!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #95
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
It was for me and since I had to pay for shipping to Mexico and import taxes mine cost more than $79. When I got my K3, I would push the page buttons too hard. Now, my K3 has page buttons that miss 20% of the time and have to be pushed twice. I used that to justify buying the new Kindle.

That said, if I'd had a chance to play with the Kindle Basic and my older K3 were working perfectly I would still have gotten the Kindle Basic just for the much more convenient, for me, on-screen keyboard.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #96
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
You folks are making me want a $79 Kindle (in addition to, not as a replacement). Quit it!
LOL. It really is quite nice!

I'm still considering gifting my K3 to Kindles for Troops, but I've also started liking the idea of keeping it as a backup/memento (*sniff, sniff* -- it was my first and I still love it!)

xari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #97
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
I'm definitely going to have to look at one in the store. Won't be getting rid of my other Kindles though! No way!

(Still have my $30 gift card from when I bought my 2nd Kindle at Best Buy during the summer!)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #98
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I don't have any plans to replace my K3 (3G+wifi) with one of the newer Kindle readers, but I am very interested in the Kindle Fire. I probably wouldn't be using that much for reading, however.

I did consider the new Kindle Touch 3G, but since you cannot use 3G for web browsing on that model, I decided against that. I like having the physical page-turn buttons anyway, so my K3 is just fine.

Even though the new $79 Kindle does have its limitations when compared to previous models, it also costs much less. It looks like it's a fantastic device for the money. Most people seem very happy with it, and I'm delighted that there's such an affordable e-reader option now. Maybe this is the device that will get kids (and adults) more interested in reading! I know that I have been reading much more since I got my Kindle last year.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #99
kaleissin
Connoisseur
kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
We might as well talk about how the command line and MS-DOS was really more powerful than the GUI. Remember those debates, old timers?
I use zsh. Inifinitely more powerful than both the lousy excuse for a command-line that MS-DOS had -and- any GUI, for getting real work done.
kaleissin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:16 AM   #100
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Might get the new cheapo Kindle for my niece - she's 8 and into reading although sadly her favourite books are not in Kindle format (Horrible Histories) so may hold off for a bit.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:21 AM   #101
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Me too!
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #102
Simca
Simca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 with Special Offers
Quote:
Originally Posted by xari View Post
Hi Simca,

From what I can tell, Amazon says their 1 month battery life estimate is based on half an hour of reading per day with the battery off. Well, I received my K4 about a week ago and have definitely been reading for way more than an hour a day (wireless mostly off) and the battery indicator has barely budged.

If I continue in this same way, it's hard for me to imagine that the battery won't last for at least 3-4 weeks as advertised.

I never cared that much one way or the other about the keyboard on my K3 (it just was, if you know what I mean), but I'm finding I really like the K4's form factor without the keyboard (smaller, lighter, faster).

And keep in mind, you could always buy a K4, try it for yourself, and return it within 30 days if you decide that it's not giving you what you need.

--xari.
Wow, that's pretty crazy.

My Kindle 3 with Wifi off is usually dead in around 5-7 days (though I read probably 8 hours a day).
Simca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #103
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simca View Post
Wow, that's pretty crazy.

My Kindle 3 with Wifi off is usually dead in around 5-7 days (though I read probably 8 hours a day).
That's amazing battery life if you're reading 8 hours a day!
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #104
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Same impression for me too, K4's battery life seems to be better than advertised. But for an eInk device, the battery life also depends on how fast the person read & font size used. In other words, page turns are what really matter but people don't count that...
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #105
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
Same impression for me too, K4's battery life seems to be better than advertised. But for an eInk device, the battery life also depends on how fast the person read & font size used. In other words, page turns are what really matter but people don't count that...
I'm leaving WiFi on and I read around 5 hours a day and it's barely budge. I can say the battery life on my K4 is better then the battery life on my K3. My K3 I can't leave the WiFi on without it needing charge every 5 days and that's without using it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote