Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 09-16-2011, 04:43 AM   #1
bookmeal
Connoisseur
bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: benQ
Smile Which smart phone can read ebook?

I am looking for a smart phone that can read txt.file (txt.file ebook / news / articles/ long essay)

What should I look for in the feature of a smart phone that can read txt.file ?

I am new in smartphone, but it's consider getting one. Coz my old flip phone battery is dying. And there's very limited available non-smart phone in the market of my city..........(non-smart phone )

smart phone's computer system I know:
iphone (has its own apple system)
most other smart phone use Android
and some using symbian

And can one briefly explain how to transfer txt file from desktop computer to smart phone?

Last edited by bookmeal; 09-16-2011 at 11:35 PM.
bookmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
You can get an app to read a txt file with any smartphone.

As for transferring, you can either connect the phone to the computer via usb, email it to yourself, upload it to something like Dropbox, etc.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I think you'd be better off first finding a smartphone that you like to use THEN look for the apps and such. No sense in getting a phone that you can't stand, but is able to read books/text files.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
I was curious if somebody could give me a little help on this, too -- by smart phone, I'm assuming you mean Android, Iphone, Windows Mobile phones, correct?

Is there any way to read .txt or .html ebooks on the very cheap and simple older style phones (like the ones sold in CVS, Dollar General, etc. -- cheap, basic disposable phone) ? Many of these phones can receive emails, right? So is there a way to read with them?

I'm vaguely aware that jar applets exist but beyond that, know nothing about these types of phones...and I'd like an easy, no hassle solution if one exists.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmithBooks View Post
Is there any way to read .txt or .html ebooks on the very cheap and simple older style phones (like the ones sold in CVS, Dollar General, etc. -- cheap, basic disposable phone) ? Many of these phones can receive emails, right? So is there a way to read with them?

I'm vaguely aware that jar applets exist but beyond that, know nothing about these types of phones...and I'd like an easy, no hassle solution if one exists.
Assuming the cellphone has a mobile browser at least, what I did was send books (in txt or html format) to my Yahoo mail account (Gmail didn't exist yet) and just read the books via the built-in web browser (and later, on Opera Mobile).

As for a smartphone, both Android and iOS can render actual ebook formats quite decently. I don't know why you'd want to suffer reading a plain text file but either OS should be able to handle text files with ease. Personally, I prefer Android over iOS.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert