Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-26-2011, 09:11 AM   #31
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
It boggles the mind to read all the postings on the Apple thread of folks who claim to be Apple Haters. If you hate the product, the company, or the owner, then why are you posting in this forum at all?
I love my iPad, but hate iTunes! As an IT guy, I believe and I'am aware of other alternatives that Apple can use but because they refuse or don't want, drives me crazy. However, bought the iPad because like the device. I wanted a color device for magazines, games and sporadic ereader... so far I think the iPad is the only one which can fit the bill.

Does that help?

jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #32
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
SDHC cards can just be left in the device and don't stick out of the side/top/bottom while being used.
Unless you own an Freescale/Utopia tablet like I had... then you have a SDHC card sticking out the side 1/16". A few folks actually busted the motherboard by pushing the card in farther than what it was designed to do.

I could write a book on Chinese devices and their nonconforming ways. Oh! That's another forum, or is it?
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #33
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I've just recently been using the sync feature on my kindle and kindle apps. I'm liking it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #34
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
It boggles the mind to read all the postings on the Apple thread of folks who claim to be Apple Haters. If you hate the product, the company, or the owner, then why are you posting in this forum at all?
The fact they "hate" a company and post personal insults about its CEO boggles the mind, not to mention their disdain for anyone who buys the products.

But, I guess that's the Internet-gives the little guy a megaphone to rant and whine
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #35
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
The fact they "hate" a company and post personal insults about its CEO boggles the mind, not to mention their disdain for anyone who buys the products.

But, I guess that's the Internet-gives the little guy a megaphone to rant and whine
Yep, and I am one of them! LOL I am all for a healthy discussion of pros and cons, but some folks are just downright hateful in their remarks! Ah, if we all just lived in a perfect world..........
Speaking of iPad, I just got done reading through the past two issues of Nat Geo in the Zinio app. There's no comparable product out there to match for the experience of a color magazine in my humble opinion.

I took advantage of the "sale" going on at Apple.com and gifted a 16GB wi fi First Gen iPad to my daughter. She is so excited! The sale says they are refurbished but her unit is coming from China so I expected it's a brand new unit and they are selling off stock. I can't imagine that Apple would send previously sold units back to China for revamping but who knows, and more importantly, who cares. "Refurbished" units get a brand new battery, back covers, and the full one year warranty. $350 is a great price to get into the tablet market with the #1 product. Now she will have to set limits on her 4 y.o. son. He loves mine and it was a great tool while we were on a six hour car trip recently. She has already started downloading apps to her computer and has a cover picked out. They are both going to love it!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #36
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I've just recently been using the sync feature on my kindle and kindle apps. I'm liking it.
Kennyc: So I see in your profile that you have a Xoom, how do you like it?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #37
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Yep, and I am one of them!
Well I was including myself in there as well

Quote:
Speaking of iPad, I just got done reading through the past two issues of Nat Geo in the Zinio app. There's no comparable product out there to match for the experience of a color magazine in my humble opinion.
I have read a couple Zinio magazines as well-they look stunning. But, I have to say, I kinda wish the iPad display was a *bit* larger for reading magazines...my old eyes force me to zoom in on some articles. But I doubt they'll make the display larger anytime soon-maybe the rumored iPad Retina Display would help me.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #38
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Kennyc: So I see in your profile that you have a Xoom, how do you like it?
Love it!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #39
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
The negative aspect is that most android apps are not optimized for tablets (screen real estate, higher specs, etc). There are hardly any tablet specific apps. Even with my self imposed rule for apps on my ipad, there are an overwhelming number of quality tablet specific apps (currently 80,000 ipad optimized). If you are using a 7" device, it isn't that big of a deal. On a 10.1" device, the issue is more prevalant.
Yeah I guess I can't comment here, the android device I have is a 4" and 7" and most of the apps work great, even better on the 7" device.

Quote:
One of the criticisms that I hear about ios so often is that it is just a really simple app launcher. ....
I never cared for that comment, the iOS is much more than just an app launcher. Unfortunately Apple has chosen to cripple the UI by only allowing the launching of apps.

But I will tell you this with 100% certainty. If Apple introduced widgets to their iOS UI. The same folks that defend the "Launcher app" UI will be the same folks that praise the new feature.

Quote:
I'd rather a phone-like launcher that launches tablet optimized apps than a tablet optimized launcher that launches phone apps.
Well then go buy a Windows tablet because at the moment all you get from Android and iOS are phone like apps.

Quote:
If we look at some of the apps that Samsung optimized for the Galaxy Tab, we can see the contrast between a phone app and a tablet app (Calender, email, contacts, memo). This is where android apps should move towards. If you play with the CNN app on the Xoom, you can see how an app optimized for tablets is superior. So, it is a valid criticism that the lack of tablet optimized apps in the android market is a significant disparity compared with the apple app store, despite the superior scaling ability of android apps.
I concur I would prefer to have tablet optimized apps for a tablet device, but I will say this the phone apps I'm using on my nook scale well and I do not feel they are lacking. I suspect your comment on being more pronounced on a 10" is accurate, but I've not heard this to be the case from a person who is regularly using a 10" android tablet. BTW I don't care to hear the , "well I looked at one at a store..." or "I took it home for a day..." comments. My belief is you have to really use a device for a week to really get a feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pphilipp View Post
The Xoom couldn't stackup in the 'ease of use' area.
Please can we stop with the kool-aid talk on this thread and have an educated discussion?

The best definition of "ease of use" or "intuitive" I have heard was a users ability to retain the how to perform a step after their third iteration.

There is really nothing to learn on an iOS device nor an Android device they are really not complicated to use at all.

My wife who is a techo-phobe and has absolutely no brand loyalty loves her android devices and iOS devices just the same. But on numerous times has commented on how the iOS is inconsistent and clunky with it's over simplistic UI.

Quote:
The 32gb Xoom was $599... the 32gb iPad was $399 (at that time)!! Who says Apple is way overpriced?
Wow this is pretty disingenuous, do you normally compare the price of last years model to newer technology and call the newer device over priced?
From a hardware stand point and price; the Xoom goes head to head with the iPad 2.

Is the Xoom worth the price, no. Is the iPad 2 worth the price, no. At $600 I'll still opt for a laptop that gives me better hardware.

Quote:
<...> I have had the iPad a month now. It just keeps getting better all the time.<...>
I'm glad you enjoying your product, in the end that what technology is really about; making our life easier.

Quote:
... Very seldom will you find anyone who is accustomed to a certain computer OS state that the other system is actually better.....
Well not really, I've found when people have difficulty with a product or never really understand it the transition is easy. From some of your comments on the Android platform I get the feeling you never really understood how to use the Android platform.

The same thing happened to me with Macs. All through high school and college I used macs and always struggled to understand how to use them. One day my brother came home with a DOS PC and I just understood how to use that more so than a Mac.

Not arguing DOS was more 'user friendly' but more that it suited me, much like the iOS seems to suit you.

Quote:
As both an Android user and an iPad user, I've found several apps which are only available for the iPad. I've also found several apps which are implemented better on the iPad than they are on Android (some drastically better). So far, I'm not sure if I've experienced any apps which are better on Android than on iOS. There probably are some, I'm sure.
There are more choices for games on the iOS that's for sure. Only the most popular iOS games, that are not 3D, seem to make the bridge. They also end-up free on the Android market because of the ads displayed on the app.

One thing I've found is usually the "best" apps for a platform do not get ported over, which makes finding the equivalent apps really hard, but they exist. An example of what I'm talking about is GoodReader(iOS) and RepliGo(Android). Both are excellent PDF readers but they exist only in their markets.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #40
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
"There is no shame in being wrong, only in failing to correct our mistakes."
George Soros
Love you sig, I thought I was the only one that read Soros. Isn't that quote from Part I of "Alchemy of Finance"?
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #41
MsAstoria
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Well I was including myself in there as well

I have read a couple Zinio magazines as well-they look stunning. But, I have to say, I kinda wish the iPad display was a *bit* larger for reading magazines...my old eyes force me to zoom in on some articles. But I doubt they'll make the display larger anytime soon-maybe the rumored iPad Retina Display would help me.
Did you notice a "text" button on the bottom of the first page of the article? Click and you get a nice plain text file of the article and in a size we more senior folks can read easily! A nice Plus!
in this pic is both, the yellow border image is from the mag page where the actual text image is behind it. Nicer easy type to read and larger than the scaled down magazine page.

http://tinypic.com/m/eh0m81/3

Last edited by MsAstoria; 04-26-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #42
MsAstoria
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Love you sig, I thought I was the only one that read Soros. Isn't that quote from Part I of "Alchemy of Finance"?
Have to admit I found that on a website of famous quotes and felt it spoke to me. He is an interesting person all right. Thanks for noticing!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #43
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

But I will tell you this with 100% certainty. If Apple introduced widgets to their iOS UI. The same folks that defend the "Launcher app" UI will be the same folks that praise the new feature.
I personally don't like widgets. The only one I had on my rooted nook color was the google search one. I didn't use them on my old mac, and I don't use them on any of my windows 7 computers. I just don't need little sneak previews I guess. However, you'll never see me tout the lack of an option as a feature. That's just insincere. Choice is always good.

Quote:
Well then go buy a Windows tablet because at the moment all you get from Android and iOS are phone like apps.
Actually I'm typing this right now on my Asus T91 Mt Windows 7 tablet

But, I think there is a difference between a phone app, a tablet app, and a Windows 7 program. Tablets should be "in between" devices (somewhere between a phone/PMP and a netbook/laptop).

Quote:
I concur I would prefer to have tablet optimized apps for a tablet device, but I will say this the phone apps I'm using on my nook scale well and I do not feel they are lacking. I suspect your comment on being more pronounced on a 10" is accurate, but I've not heard this to be the case from a person who is regularly using a 10" android tablet. BTW I don't care to hear the , "well I looked at one at a store..." or "I took it home for a day..." comments. My belief is you have to really use a device for a week to really get a feel.
I agree that on the 7" screen android phone apps look fine. On my nook color, I was expecting them to look terrible, like the scaled up apps on the ipad look, but they looked really nice (although some needed Spare Parts).

To explain my point better, I use the IMDB app all the time. On my nook color, it was a scaled up android phone app, and presented what looked like a smaller version of the actual website, with little to no optimization with the exception of smaller borders. On my iphone, IMDB has a single scrollable window, and then text categories underneath. It is the same in landscape and portrait. On my ipad 2, the IMDB app has four scrollable windows, and when I switch it to landscape, a scrollable side bar appears with movies, tv, and people categories. In the bottom corner, there are buttons that when clicked, you can add a watchlist, or see recently viewed content. It takes advantage of the larger screen, and offers a full tablet experience.

I remember using IMDB on my nook color during a movie, and watching in envy as my wife used the much better version on her ipad.

I could give other examples like Flixster, and Sportscenter, that are enhanced for tablets on ios and really show the difference between a phone app and a tablet app.

I don't see the point of sacrificing the portability of the 7" and under tablets for a 10.1" tablet, when the apps are formatted exactly the same way. However, the bigger screen does change and/or enhance the experience when used properly. ***Note: the android marketplace might now have tablet optimized versions of my examples (IMDB, Sportscenter, and Flixster), they just didn't when I was trying to decide between the Xoom and the ipad 2.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #44
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I love my iPad, but hate iTunes! As an IT guy, I believe and I'am aware of other alternatives that Apple can use but because they refuse or don't want, drives me crazy. However, bought the iPad because like the device. I wanted a color device for magazines, games and sporadic ereader... so far I think the iPad is the only one which can fit the bill.
There really isn't much that you actually need to use iTunes for with an iPad. I haven't connected mine to a PC in at least a month. Videos, books and comics are the main media I use with it, and I can load them all wirelessly. For my iTouch, iTunes is a requirement, for the iPad I don't find it to be one.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #45
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
There really isn't much that you actually need to use iTunes for with an iPad. I haven't connected mine to a PC in at least a month. Videos, books and comics are the main media I use with it, and I can load them all wirelessly. For my iTouch, iTunes is a requirement, for the iPad I don't find it to be one.
Well, I have not connected mine in a while as well, but would be better if, in my opinion, we could browse iPad's folders and file system via USB, like most Android tablets. Without iTunes, you can also provide more flexibility; no need to use DropBox or iTunes in order to sync or move content. Most tablet devices can be connected and you can drag and drop content, even if you don't have wifi.

To expand on my point: my only Windows device is my work's laptop. I had to install iTunes there because I have no other computer device at home running Windows or Apple, but Linux. And not because I can't afford it, as part of my job I do have a full Microsoft access/subscription, even to Os and major Microsoft programs, but because is my choice.

Please do not get me wrong, love the iPad. Otherwise I would not use it or have it, but not too happy with iTunes as main way to sync the device.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote