Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
i3mind
i3mind began at the beginning.

Device: none
Android Tablet which one

Howdy folks,
I am new to this forum and would like you opinion on which eReader to buy?
I am very interested in android because i am trying to learn how to wrote apps.

i will be using the tablet for reading technical books and manuals (PDF, Diagrams)

speed is my no1 feature.
wifi and bluetooth is a must!
3G chip will be nice (That way later i might just tag an APN and hook up to a wireless device)
i want to be able to read forum/blogs and browse the internet as well with my tablet.

Any suggestion please

Thanks in advance.
Bmind
i3mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Samsung Galaxy S Tab would give you all the funness with a 1ghz hummingbird processor and the Android's app open market is a great choice

nook color, if you are into rooting is like being a kid in a candy store at half the price.

maybe the archos after that but I wouldn't go beyond the archos, the Kohls, Walgreens etc android tablest are running on slow processor, most use a resistive screen, and very low end overall specs.

I would say the Samsung and nook color for high end and then the archos not too far behind.

Last edited by boswd; 12-16-2010 at 11:25 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
i3mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Samsung Galaxy S Tab would give you all the funness with a 1ghz hummingbird processor and the Android's app open market is a great choice

nook color, if you are into rooting is like being a kid in a candy store at half the price.

maybe the archos after that but I wouldn't go beyond the archos, the Kohls, Walgreens etc android tablest are running on slow processor, most use a resistive screen, and very low end overall specs.

I would say the Samsung and nook color for high end and then the archos not too far behind.
Thank you for your response

so if i go with the nook color , i am able to root it and basically put what ever i want in it. if i go with the color i will loose the ability of 3G which i can live with that!

were can i read about rooting the nook , i have root some droid phones is it the same thing or is it different when it comes to eReaders?

Thank you in advance
Old 12-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3mind View Post
Thank you for your response

so if i go with the nook color , i am able to root it and basically put what ever i want in it. if i go with the color i will loose the ability of 3G which i can live with that!

were can i read about rooting the nook , i have root some droid phones is it the same thing or is it different when it comes to eReaders?

Thank you in advance
http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting

Follow and do everything listed under "More Things To Do". You'll need to have all of the stuff listed here working as you move on. Might as well do it upfront.

Once you root, you need to enable the Android Market:

automated script: http://www.nookdevs.com/Enable_the_Android_Market
manual process: http://www.nookdevs.com/NookColor:Manual_market_enable

Auto script didn't work for me. I enabled it manually.

Join us on the NOOK sub-forum here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
i3mind

i am thinking to get the Viewsonic G Tablet
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Go for it!

Here's a hands-on demo with some shortcomings of the device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCJLK3KgzyQ&feature=fvw

Last edited by SCION; 12-16-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Howdy folks,
I am new to this forum and would like you opinion on which eReader to buy?
I am very interested in android because i am trying to learn how to wrote apps.

i will be using the tablet for reading technical books and manuals (PDF, Diagrams)

speed is my no1 feature.
wifi and bluetooth is a must!
3G chip will be nice (That way later i might just tag an APN and hook up to a wireless device)
i want to be able to read forum/blogs and browse the internet as well with my tablet.

Any suggestion please

Thanks in advance.
Bmind
Most common tablets are tied up to a 3G data plan, hence, you'll download and browse at 3G speed. So, if speed is not an issue, I would recommend Galaxy. It is kind of heavy but less than iPad.

Comparing the weight factor and price, I think Nook Color is a great option for you. I like the browser and the virtual keyboard is ok. Something you will not get with Nook Color is 3G, which could be good or bad for you: good because with a good internet connection, you can download and browse internet faster than 3G speed. Bad because 3Ggives you more freedom but can be slower than regular wifi at home, you can connect anywhere as long you have 3G signal.

On iPAD and Nook Color, you will get no flash support.

By the way, I would not consider tablets e-readers ... lol ... Nook Color is kind of a hybrid though. An ereader has less computer functionality, mostly eink and book oriented.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur
rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHD8, iPad
I have used some $100-$150 Chinese "Android" (1.7-2.0) tablets; four different models from four different mfr's. (One of my clients sells all sorts of phones and electronics from China - these tablets were something he was considering.) I wouldn't wish these on my worst enemy. Let's see: Worthless, unusable, non-intuitive, buggy, crash-prone...did I say unusable? Jeez; I'd rather use a Windoze tablet.

Frankly, I don't see Android devices being successful in a big way in the long run until someone takes control of the OS and yanks the leash on the developers. It's like the old DOS days with nothing behaving in a consistent or reliable manner until Apple forced Microsoft into Windows and there were rules. Maybe an Ubuntu tablet? (I can hope.) One of the problems with the Android tablets is that they're being pushed by the wireless communications vendors and each wants to put his own "store" for "value-add" products and services. Yes, I know that's what they do but that is, indeed, part of the problem and certainly not part of the solution. They're doing to the tablets what they did to the phones: Make the same model of phone behave differently depending on whether your provider is AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, etc. Customers voted with their feet and wallets; the iPhone won and the rest of the hamsters are fighting over what's left. Look at Verizon: RIM's share is down to 10%, Windows Mobile phones are being given away for free and Android phones aren't slowing down the iPhone/AT&T juggernaut at all. This is why Verizon is now willing to do anything Apple asks in order to get the iPhone. The tablet manufacturers who are relying upon the wireless vendors to make their tablets a success are kidding themselves.

Feel free to flame at me if you wish but let's check back in a few years when maybe we'll have more than Apple and the seven Android dwarfs.

All the above notwithstanding, I'm getting ready to buy a Sony 650 (got a $75 trade-in coupon for an old Palm Zire!) to augment my iPad. My wife wants a reader but doesn't want the distractions of the web or games, and I'd like a reader I can use in broad daylight. I don't often read books outdoors but, when I do want to, the iPad just doesn't cut it.
rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:19 AM   #9
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Doesn't have an IPS display (NOOKcolor does). Is that important to you?

http://www.viewsonic.com/gtablet/spec.htm