Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
maths -- translation help

As a non-native speaker of English I help my friends with translating various articles that they publish abroad in English journals.
My current foray is in the world of Maths and I have a big request from English native speakers or, even better, English native speakers that are teachers of Maths or Economics.
It's nothing major, I just am not sure about a silly thing: the definite article .

Let me extrapolate: do you say....

system (1) ---or--- the system (1)
figure (1) ---or--- the figure (1)
equation x=a+b ---or--- the equation x=a+b?

A context would be:

---This paper studies (the???) equation x=a+b----

Since I'm not a native speaker, my instinct is to go for the variant without the definite article but then I'm sure.

I'd be grateful for any help and nudge in the right direction.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
The example you give as context would need the definite article - This paper studies the equation. However, if referring to a figure in a paper, that wouldn't need an article at all - As figure 1, below, demonstrates... - because "figure 1", in this context is the name of something. Does this help?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yep. thanks.

now i come across the structure all over the article.

eg: "as seen in (the??) equation x=a+b" or "(the??) equation x=a+b becomes...."

what's worse, i'm still not sure about things like "system (1)" or "the system (1)" in similar contexts.

thanks!
Old 10-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
From what I can understand of what the context is, "system 1" wouldn't need an article.
If in doubt, leave it out! Seriously, whilst an article that doesn't need to be there will stick out like a sore thumb, (as we native English speakers might say!), a missing article is easily glossed over, particularly in the context of academic or technical writing.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?

i think i'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel (and the funny thing is i used to know these things but now it's all muddled up).
i'd say "the equation x=a+b" but "equation (1)" etc.
i wish i'd find some serious guidelines somewhere. i've poked around scribd and some academic papers there and those i've perused say "the equation x=a+b". things are easier when there's a prepositional object.

thanks TGS! i'll follow your advice

Last edited by TenaciousBadger; 10-24-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post
i think i'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel (and the funny thing is i used to know these things but now it's all muddled up).
i'd say "the equation x=a+b" but "equation (1)" etc.
Yes, exactly right.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote