Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
dkritso109
Enthusiast
dkritso109 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
pdf to mobi conversion issue

i just got my kindle 3 today and i love it, and i have been converting pdf's to mobi all day so they are readable on my k3. the books are very readable on my k3, but there are tons of gaps that don't need to be there. line spacing between sentences and sentences stopping and restarting on the next line for no reason. the books are still readable but it's a tremendous waste of space. are there any settings for the conversions i need to know about? is there a better format to convert my pdf's too other than mobi? some info on this would much appreciated, i already input like a hundred books and really would like some clarification on this before i put in anymore. thanks in advance for any help.
dkritso109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Did you try changing the line unwrapping factor in the pdf input options? For some pdfs this needs to be reduced.

You can also go into the look and feel options and select 'remove spacing between paragraphs'

PDF is a problematic format to convert, there is a new pdf conversion engine that should resolve most of this, but there is no ETA on when it will be ready.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 12:54 AM   #3
dkritso109
Enthusiast

i just tried again with 'remove spacing between paragraphs" option selected, but the line unwrapping factor was already at 0, so i don't know if by reduced you mean make it negative. well nothing really changed. i really wanna fix this, i gotta tell you it's annoying as hell. i tried to ignore it but it skips to the next line like a paragraph in the middle of a sentence. it does this for all my books. any other ideas?
Old 10-06-2010, 12:56 AM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

If the line unwrapping factor was at 0 then actually it will do nothing. Set it back to the default of 0.45 and see if that does the trick.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:13 AM   #5
dkritso109
Enthusiast

hey that totally worked!! there are a few out of place words here and there, but for the most part its right and left justified. i love it. it's just like reading a book. even the paragraphs are intact and indented correctlyexactly what i was trying to do. crap though, i gotta redo like a hundred books. so not looking forward to doing that, but hey, thanks a bunch for the help. i bless you with karma.
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 01:30 AM   #6
ldolse
Wizard

Glad to hear it - you can use the batch conversion to redo those 100 books, so it shouldn't be too much work, just highlight them all and then click convert.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:38 AM   #7
dkritso109
Enthusiast

the bulk convert does not have the most important thing i require, which is the pdf input button which is only in the individual conversion. the pdf input section of the conversion program has the line-unwrapping factor. in the bulk conversion there is no line-unwrapping field. for some reason for me the default line unwrapping is 0.0
i need it to be 0.45 for my pages to look right.
also in a couple of my books i have noticed something new. every few pages this pops up:

Y
Y
Y
er
Y
er
B
B
B
B
A
A
Click here to buy
Click here to buy
w
w
w
w
w.
ABBYY.com
.ABBYY.com

i copied that exactly, and it pops up every couple pages and wastes a page and a half, this changes the locations number from around 9,000 to 23,066. thats a huge waste of space. i have no idea what do about that.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:00 AM   #8
ldolse
Wizard

Go into your calbre preferences -> pdf input to change the default back to 0.45, sounds like you've been doing it on a book by book basis in the individual book's conversion options. You may also need to uncheck the box that says to use the individual settings for the books since you've converted them before, not sure if 0 got saved at the book level.

The other junk looks like spam put in by a trial version of ABBYY. You'll need to write a header or footer removal regex to get rid of it.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:05 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkritso109 View Post
also in a couple of my books i have noticed something new. every few pages this pops up:
.....snip...
i have no idea what do about that.
it's trialware branding & it is deliberately designed to be almost impossible to remove with automated scripts.

time is better spent looking for alternative, cleaner sources, but for a single book you can remove it in 3 steps
1. convert to .rtf
2. use find / replace all in word to remove all instances
3. save & convert back to .mobi
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:35 AM   #10
gyre
wookie
gyre began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I have a pdf, and converting to mobi or epub about 56% of the way through, I get the stuff below... which goes on for many pages... before correcting itself near the end of the book. I have tried the default options as well as line unwrapping of 0.45.

Code:
looked black. He was wearing Shadowhunter mourning clothes—they didn’t wear black to funerals, since black was

th

t e

h

e c

o

c l

o o

l r

o

r o

f

o

f g

e

g a

e r

a

r a

n

a d

n

d f

i

f g

i h

g t

h i

t n

i g

n .

g

. T

h

T e

h

e c

o

c l

o o

l r

o

r o

f

o

f d

e

d a

e t

a h

t

h w

a

w s

a

s w

h

w i

h t
gyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:14 AM   #11
ldolse
Wizard

Haven't seen a pdf do that before, but there isn't much to be done for that but find a better source.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:43 AM   #12
gyre
wookie
gyre began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
That's what I ended up doing. I just haven't seen the converter get borked that badly before.
gyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:53 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
it's trialware branding & it is deliberately designed to be almost impossible to remove with automated scripts.

time is better spent looking for alternative, cleaner sources,
Or you might even consider the option of not downloading pirated eBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
dkritso109
Enthusiast

it wasn't pirated, my brother lent me his series of ebooks to read because he knew i would like it. what happend to the days when you could lend someone a book to read??? if i were to give you a paperback right now and say hey i think you might like this book, does that make me a pirate? when did things get so commercial that we can't even share things we like???

i'll call him right now and ask him to delete his copy, if that makes me more legit.

Last edited by dkritso109; 10-06-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
First off HarryT was referring to the user gyre who posted in this thread too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkritso109 View Post
it wasn't pirated, my brother lent me his series of ebooks to read because he knew i would like it.
So your brother lent you a book with the Abby.com statement embedded in it?

If I were him I never would have purchased a book with this statement embedded in it. Maybe he should contact the place from which he purchased it and demand a better formatted edition or a refund.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote