Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The best features of Nook readers

What do you think are the best features of nook over a similar amazon or kobo product?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I like having expandable memory.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
IrishEyes
IrishEyes began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch, nook HD+
Epub format and expandable memory. I can also download books from our local public library directly to my nook. The library only does this for the nook readers (even had a contest to give one away). Not too sure how many libraries do this though.

Last edited by IrishEyes; 09-13-2013 at 02:44 PM.
IrishEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
1 Expandable memory
2 side buttons for left or right hand
3 Easily rootable android
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
The form factor that I initially thought was horrible actually makes it extremely easy and convenient to hold (I have a cover that it's really easy to take the device out of when reading in places where I don't feel like I need a cover)

Compared to Kindle:
Epub support
No ties to Amazon

Compared to Kobo:
None really except price and availability (for me)
I actually think the Kobo way to control font size, margins and line spacing is fantastic and if the Nook had that it would be perfect for me!

The page turning buttons is a nice feature and so is expandable storage but I really don't use either. Good to know they are there though.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
jerrry94087
Enthusiast
jerrry94087 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
When kindle doesn't support epub, this is purely a political decision for them. It's not like it is challenging or difficult to implement.

They manipulate the market this way, stirring people into their own store with their own ebook format only. Lack of Android also serves to disallow customers to install any side apps. Amazon products are designed to take away the consumer freedom. Why buy them?

The best feature of nook over kindle is the ability to install apps. The ability to root and install the better firmware. More freedom is better for the savvy consumer.
jerrry94087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Physical page turn buttons is a huge plus.

Expandable memory is nice, but side-loaded ePubs on the memory card are treated like second class citizens, sadly.

Price tag - $99.00 and NO ADS for the Glo.

I have a Kindle and love it, but it costs $119 and another $20 to get rid of the ads.

The Sony eReader is $99.00 without the light.

The Kobo Glo is $129.00
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrry94087 View Post
When kindle doesn't support epub, this is purely a political decision for them. It's not like it is challenging or difficult to implement.

They manipulate the market this way, stirring people into their own store with their own ebook format only. Lack of Android also serves to disallow customers to install any side apps. Amazon products are designed to take away the consumer freedom. Why buy them?

The best feature of nook over kindle is the ability to install apps. The ability to root and install the better firmware. More freedom is better for the savvy consumer.
My Kindle is rooted, and for a time I had at least 1000 epubs on it, and they worked just fine (using the Koreader app).

My Nook ST is rooted, with Nook Manager, and thus has the best file system I've ever enjoyed on an e-ink reader.

It was a fine reader, stock, except that I couldn't use side load fonts. Rooted, I use Mantano reader with my favorite font, and the display is perfect!

So, if one is going to root, either the Kindle or the Nook ST will be fine.

But for a reader that works fabulously without rooting, choose the Kobo. (Glo, Mini, Aura, Aura HD).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I just purchased a new in the box Nook 1st gen on Ebay and love it.
1. epub format
2. side buttons
3. page numbers
4. a really GREAT mp3 player for audio books where you can find and adjust your place
(nobody else has audiobook players in their e-ink anymore and the Kindle one was
an absurd joke anyway)
5. external speakers for the above that are great in a quiet room
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
iamosam
Enthusiast
iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
android (rootability)
microSD slot
ability to handle folders (by default, even without rooting)
epub
iamosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #11
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
The ability to read whatever I want for an hour free at a B&N store. My wife and I visit B&N almost daily and read with a cup of coffee. I have read at least 80 books now while visiting B&N over the past couple of years.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Unfortunately for me, the nearest Barnes and Noble is an hour and a half away.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #13
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I have a touch Nook and a non-touch Kindle, so I definitely prefer the Nook over the Kindle but it's largely the touch feature. OTOH I understand the touch Kindle doesn't have page turn buttons? I don't really want to have to choose between the touch feature, which is really useful, and page turn buttons.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #14
hollywoodb
hollywoodb began at the beginning.

Device: none
They can run Android.

I rooted my Glowlight with NookManager and installed:
  • CoolReader
  • GoldenDict Dictionary
  • Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, etc)
  • Opera
  • A real File Manager
  • GoodReads
  • Kindle App
  • DropSync (use Dropbox to load books and stuff)
  • Several other small apps/utilities

The only thing it doesn't do is sync my current book and position with other devices, but I've never really used that feature. I like the physical page turn buttons too.

Also, I think they updated the Glowlight screen at some point. They look nearly identical to the regular Touch and they seem plenty durable.
hollywoodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #15
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
What do you think are the best features of nook over a similar amazon or kobo product?
Expandable memory is the most obvious advantage but it really is only an advantage if you root the Nook because B&N has otherwise crippled it. For all practical purposes, a non-rooted Nook with even a 32GB SD card has about the same memory available for sideloading as the latest Kindle.

For me there really is no advantage for the non-rootable newest Nook, the Glow 2013. The NST, on the other hand, has a MUCH better screen than either the Glows or the Kindle PaperWhite 1 (and probably the II as well though I've only spent a brief time with it). Even though it requires a light source at times, it's still my favorite of the 3 that I own.

The other advantage of a NST (or Original Glow) vs a Kindle (*any* Kindle) is that the Kindle really isn't rootable, just jail-breakable. That's more than semantics because rooting is much more complete, powerful and, with Nook Manager, is MUCH easier to do.

That being said, the NST will become scarcer in the future so the Kindle PaperWhite will soon be pretty much the only game in town UNLESS Kobo gets their distribution (and software) mojo back. Given the Kindle competitors' missteps lately, it's almost like they all own shares of Amazon. A LOT of shares
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote