Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Amazon aims to launch front-lit Kindle in July

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47417625...h_and_gadgets/

Quote:
Amazon.com Inc will launch new versions of its Kindle e-reader and tablet, including a monochrome e-reader with front lighting, a source who has seen the prototype told Reuters.

The world's largest Internet retailer is aiming to have the new e-reader in stores in July, said the source, who has direct knowledge of the matter but asked not to be named because Amazon has not yet made the decision public.

Amazon has been ramping up production of the new Kindle, which will run on E Ink's display, the source said.

Amazon's Kindle e-reader has been popular, but readers have had to buy an external light to attach to the device to read in the dark. The front light eliminates that problem.

"I do see demand for a front-lit Kindle," said Jennifer Colegrove, Vice President of Emerging Display Technologies at DisplaySearch, an NPD Group company, which monitors trends in the display sector.

There is a trade-off, she said: "Front-lit will consume battery power and (it'll) run out ... quicker."

Amazon also plans to launch a new tablet closer to the holiday season later this year, the source said. The new Kindle Fire is expected to have a bigger diagonal display of 8.9 inches, bringing it closer in size to Apple Inc's iPad. The company did not respond to calls or emails seeking comment.

"We don't comment on our customers' launch plans," said Sri Peruvemba, Chief Marketing Officer for E Ink Holdings, the supplier of Kindle's ePaper technology.

"E Ink is an innovator and for the past 10 years, we have consistently delivered new products, major enhancements to existing products, and unique designs, so it is not surprising that there is constant speculation about what we will do next," said Peruvemba.

While Barnes & Noble was the first to market with a glowing e-reader, there has been speculation about Amazon being a close second.

Amazon will launch the new Kindle e-reader in the touch 3G and touch wi-fi versions, the source said.

"They can afford to add a front light because the component is not very expensive and their display otherwise uses very little energy," said Colegrove.

An increase of about $10 above the current prices should be "quite reasonable," she said.

The source said Amazon was likely to keep prices the same, or raise them by a very small margin, if at all.

Some blogs had speculated on the possibility of a color-equipped e-reader, but the source said that there was very little chance of Amazon launching one this year. Though Amazon has held can talks with E Ink, the companies haven't reached any concrete decisions yet, he said.

Vinita Jakhanwal, an analyst at IHS iSuppli, which tracks electronic component supply chains, said when she looked at the color e-paper product in a trade show in October, that it needed "a lot of technological improvements" to be used in a products in large volumes.

"I doubt if the color Kindle is ready for a launch," she said.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So lighted Kindle in July, larger Fire at Christmas, no color e-ink any time soon. I think that deals with most of the rumors.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I'm hoping there will also be a non-touch model with the front light.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Based on the article, it looks like nope. I would hope that they added buttons to the touch model to go with the light but it does not seem to be the case.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I was going to say that as long as it is a touch version, I am in.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I only hope the new Touch will not suffer the same contrast problems as the NGL.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Sounds like they're just slapping some glow on the existing touches. I really wish they'd ditch the glass substrate since reading in bed=occasionally dropping (at least for me).

Not gonna buy something that's destined to break
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I only hope the new Touch will not suffer the same contrast problems as the NGL.
Unlikely. Anything you add to the screen will decrease the contrast.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I have no plans to buy another e-reader within the next year, but when I do replace my Kindle Keyboard 3G I will definitely consider one with a built-in light if it really is just $10 more. I would prefer to have a device with physical page-turn buttons, though.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #10
pazu
Pazu
pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Treo 650
What is the difference of Glowlight and Flex Lighting?

I think Nook is using Glowlight.
pazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I think glow light is the same thing as flex light but Amazon cannot use glow light because BN is using the term.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #12
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to list
From what I've read of Amazon's approach, it's more efficient than B&N's. The Touch Glowlight uses 8 LEDs, whereas Kindle's (they may have licensed the Flex Light, but I'm not sure) uses one or two LEDs. The advantage is that it'd drain the battery less than the Nook--the Nook's battery life is halved when the light is being used.
nesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #13
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I've been looking forward to an integrated light, but I just realized a potential drawback over the external light. With my K3 I can turn on the light even in complete darkness by pulling it out by feel, but if they don't have a button to turn it on how would you use it without some initial light to get started?

[quick search before posting] Looks like the nook toggles the feature by holding the home button... maybe my concern is overblown... hopefully B&N doesn't hold a patent on that feature. :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #14
tarzanphan60
Enthusiast
tarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Nook Color, Tablet, HD, HD+
I just hope they improve the Touch capability. I really think the Kindle e-readers have gone downhill since they moved away from Kindle Keyboard.
tarzanphan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #15
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
I'll be buying a lit Touch 3G. My current Touch will be my backup.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote