Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
spygrl
spygrl began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Question Metadata correct in Calibre, but not on Kindle

Hi,

I am having an issue with several books that I hope is something simple to fix.

When I look at my books in the Calibre software I have correct metadata information... Author Title etc.

So at that point I upload to my Kindle and those books have the title very odd, looking much like this

MONTGOMERY_Anne of Green Gables

with no author.

I tried deleting the files from the Kindle and tried deleting them from the library and readding them... neither method worked.

I'm not a very technologically advanced person, so keep that in mind when responding!

Thanks!
spygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
convert the book from mobi to mobi in calibre and resend.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
spygrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Such a simple fix!

When I went to convert them, I realized that all the files I was having issues with were prc files.

Thanks so much!
Old 07-12-2010, 02:35 AM   #4
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
Indeed simple, at least it works for correcting the metadata.
But after the conversion, the Start_Reading anchor is gone, the book opens with the first page after the coverpage... Other anchors like TOC work fine.
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #5
spygrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear4hunter View Post
Indeed simple, at least it works for correcting the metadata.
But after the conversion, the Start_Reading anchor is gone, the book opens with the first page after the coverpage... Other anchors like TOC work fine.
Good to know.. I hadn't started reading any of them at that point, so I didn't notice.

Thanks for the information.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
I have another solution for changing the title, without using calibre and thus messing around with the special anchors: now, I'm using the mobi2mobi script found here, but I use it in the console window (command prompt) instead of with the gui - works like a charm.
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:22 AM   #7
Carlj
Carlj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hello Everyone,

My question pertains to the sequence of the converted/uploaded files to the e-reader (kindle in this case). Since the cover page (book picture in .jpg) is uploaded with the rest of the pages I'm wondering why is it that more times than not the picture is not the first file read by the e-reader. It seems to skip the cover and go to the first text page. A minor but annoying problem. I'm usually converting (using Calibre only) from epub or lit/rtf to MOBI. Thanks for any help you can lend.
Carlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:02 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlj View Post
My question pertains to the sequence of the converted/uploaded files to the e-reader (kindle in this case). Since the cover page (book picture in .jpg) is uploaded with the rest of the pages I'm wondering why is it that more times than not the picture is not the first file read by the e-reader. It seems to skip the cover and go to the first text page. A minor but annoying problem. I'm usually converting (using Calibre only) from epub or lit/rtf to MOBI. Thanks for any help you can lend.
This seems to happen in the Kindle4PC application too. Often to see the cover in that app you must click previous or back from the page it defaults to.

On my Sony 505 the cover is always the first page I see.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

MOBI is designed that way, by default it opens after the cover (I suppose the idea is to save you a page turn). IIRC it can be made to open at the cover but I haven't bothered changing the default behavior in calibre.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
Carlj
Carlj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Wink

To Kovidgoyal,

Do you think if I downloaded Sigil I could use that to define the order of files read in such a way that the jpg would be the first to appear by default? (Although I worry that I'll be spending more time learning programming than actually reading books Also I don't know what you meant by "IIRC." On the other hand I wonder if, since K2 reads AZW, if I use that format as output would there be any difference in the read-order of the files?

By the way I just started the whole e-reading approach and luckily found and installed Calibre before I even received my e-reader. Glad I did because this is the best program I've seen for conversion and library organization. Simply amazing. Thanks
Carlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No you cant change this, without code changes in calibre.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
It also does this when I connect my ipad and point itunes to the calibre library and let itunes sync; it seems there are two sets of metadata?
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Do not point itunes to the calibre library, metadata is never updated in the files in the files calibre library. Use the connect to itunes feature in calibre to send books to itunes.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #14
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
It also does this when I connect my ipad and point itunes to the calibre library and let itunes sync; it seems there are two sets of metadata?
See the first post in this thread for instructions on using calibre with iTunes.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #15
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
so let's say I have book in .mobi format, but the metadata is incomplete. I have to add to book to calibre, then use the edit or download metadata , then sort out a cover , & then I have to convert the book FROM mobi TO mobi to get that metadata inserted intot eh .mobi file.

seems daft that I have to convert the entirety of a perfectly good data file just to add metadate to it, and the conversion process is quite slow ( i.e. it seems like it;'s doing more than just adding metadata as it takes up to 1 minute on a fast core duo PC ) ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote