Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 05:52 AM   #1
tripuz
tripuz began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Mendeley Apps in rooted Nook Touch?

Hi there,
I'm very interested in buying a Nook Touch and then using it as an academic PDF reader, rooting it and then connecting it to Mendeley using Android apps (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.droideley, https://market.android.com/details?i...rop.scholarley). Has anyone tried if these apps work on the rooted Nook Touch?
Thanks a lot.
tripuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripuz View Post
Hi there,
I'm very interested in buying a Nook Touch and then using it as an academic PDF reader, rooting it and then connecting it to Mendeley using Android apps (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.droideley, https://market.android.com/details?i...rop.scholarley). Has anyone tried if these apps work on the rooted Nook Touch?
Thanks a lot.
hi

Rooting is possible
I do not knw anything about Mendeley
PDF reading is difficult. A 10" eink device is required for that but annotating is difficult for anything else that Android apps and there is nothing like a 10" Android
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
tripuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
hi

Rooting is possible
I do not knw anything about Mendeley
PDF reading is difficult. A 10" eink device is required for that but annotating is difficult for anything else that Android apps and there is nothing like a 10" Android
I know...but after a bit of trimming and zooming I'm getting satisfactory results with academic PDFs on my Kindle 3. The biggest problem with Kindle, I believe, is PDF organizing on the reader itself...I would like to try the Nook with some custom android apps (Mendeley or other cloud services for academic papers) to see if it works better.
Thanks
Old 11-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripuz View Post
I know...but after a bit of trimming and zooming I'm getting satisfactory results with academic PDFs on my Kindle 3. The biggest problem with Kindle, I believe, is PDF organizing on the reader itself...I would like to try the Nook with some custom android apps (Mendeley or other cloud services for academic papers) to see if it works better.
Thanks
Please let us know the results of your testing
I had a short look at Mendeley. Though I don't know if I really want to upload all my learning materials to their site (and in general to any site).
Old 11-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
eman
eman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I am a devoted fan of Mendeley, and was initially unhappy that I couldn't get Scholarley or Droideley to work on my rooted Nook Touch. After a little while (it turned out there were some server problems with Mendeley), I was able to get Droideley to work, and it does everything exactly as it does on my other Android devices.

Unfortunately, Scholarley doesn't seem to work -- half the time it claims it cannot communicate with Mendeley servers, and when it does let you try to sign in, it invariably tries to use the stock browser (which can't handle the page), rather than Opera, which is my default, and which Droideley uses.

Also -- the stock pdf reader is better than people give it credit for, but I would still recommend buying ezPDF. In my opinion, it is the best option as a reader for the Nook Touch (perhaps I will post why separately).
eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
PF4Mobile
Guru

I like ezpdf too but it doesn't seem to be very practical to use it on eink as it uses screen refresh a lot and that slows down the tablet.
The other think that I have problems with is scrolling vs zooming. For some reasons when I try to scroll the reader takes the first contact with the tip of my finger as a touch and zooms in/out or sometimes it shows the menu/bottom bar with page thumbnails although I do not want that!
I have the same problema on the 7" Edge Android ereader...
Old 11-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
I like ezpdf too but it doesn't seem to be very practical to use it on eink as it uses screen refresh a lot and that slows down the tablet.
The other think that I have problems with is scrolling vs zooming. For some reasons when I try to scroll the reader takes the first contact with the tip of my finger as a touch and zooms in/out or sometimes it shows the menu/bottom bar with page thumbnails although I do not want that!
I have the same problema on the 7" Edge Android ereader...
It's possible to disable animations and such with the newest versions of ezPDF, so you can limit screen refreshes to once per page (if you keep a constant zoom)
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
PF4Mobile
Guru

Can you please tell me how to disable the animations?
I looked under "Settings" and there was nothing referring to that.

thanks
PF
Old 11-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Can you please tell me how to disable the animations?
I looked under "Settings" and there was nothing referring to that.

thanks
PF
You need the newest version from the Android market. You might have the Amazon Market version ($1 cheaper but outdated). Otherwise,

Settings-->Page Flipping-->Enable Page Flipping (checkbox)

I've also turned off scrolling for the same reason.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #10
PF4Mobile
Guru

Thanks, but I already did that. There seem to be some visual effects when you zoom in/out and when you turn the page. I wanted to disable those.
Any idea about the top and bottom ribbons? How can I disable those? I do not want them to appear other than when I press "Menu" Currently they appear every time you touch the screen. Let's not divert this thread, would you be so kind to reply in the dedicated thread I created for my ezPDF frustrations? :-)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156168

Thanks
PF
Old 11-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #11
tripuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
I am a devoted fan of Mendeley, and was initially unhappy that I couldn't get Scholarley or Droideley to work on my rooted Nook Touch. After a little while (it turned out there were some server problems with Mendeley), I was able to get Droideley to work, and it does everything exactly as it does on my other Android devices.

Unfortunately, Scholarley doesn't seem to work -- half the time it claims it cannot communicate with Mendeley servers, and when it does let you try to sign in, it invariably tries to use the stock browser (which can't handle the page), rather than Opera, which is my default, and which Droideley uses.

Also -- the stock pdf reader is better than people give it credit for, but I would still recommend buying ezPDF. In my opinion, it is the best option as a reader for the Nook Touch (perhaps I will post why separately).
Thank you very much for sharing your experience, I will root my Nook and try Droideley as soon as it gets home