Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-28-2009, 03:55 AM   #1
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Question re handwriting feature.

I am considering purchasing the Irex Digital Reader mainly for the note taking feature. I want to use the device to take handwritten case notes as I speak to clients on the telephone, then convert them to RTF files to upload to the computerized client file. When I had the 8" Illiad, the handwriting feature was reasonable and would recognize my handwriting reasonably well. The major issue was that the screen was too small for comfortable writing for me.

My question is, how well does the new device supports handwriting and conversion to RTF or word files. Also how easy is it to move from one page of handwriting to the next. This was an issue with the Iliad int hat you had to create a new page each time and this would slow down my writing far too much.
I one telephone call I may at times take 5 A4 pages of hand written notes.

Battery power is not an issue as the device could be plugged in to mains as often as required as my position is desk based.

Australian price is currently $1400 AUD and I would need to be pretty confident that the device could meet my needs.

Karen
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:46 AM   #2
tvg
tvg began at the beginning.

Device: iphone and ipad
why not a tablet?

Hi,

if you are deskbased,
why not use a tablet with your computer?
I've heard people getting used to writing on a tablet and seeing the "ink" on a screen (for me not very good)
a further option could be the "pulse" or other similar options where you write on normal paper, but your input is captured in parallel to the computer.

these seem (for notetaking) cheaper and better.

Tom (I have used all of the above)
tvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
With the Dr1000, you cannot add pages when you write. What you need to do is create your own "template" that has several blank pages already pre made. When you then select that document, a new version is created for you to write in. That document will have as many pages as your template, you cannot add any more nor take any away. But, it does mean it is quick to move between pages as you need.

The writing in general is very good, provided you keep away from the edges. The screen/stylus callibration is hopeless as you get near the edges. This may not be too noticeable if you do not use lined paper, but if you are doing say a crossword, or graph, it is a right pain in the rear.

I haven't tried transcribing my scribbles to RTF so I cannot help there, but I can't see why it should be any different to the iliad in that respect.

Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
My question is, how well does the new device supports handwriting and conversion to RTF or word files. Also how easy is it to move from one page of handwriting to the next. This was an issue with the Iliad int hat you had to create a new page each time and this would slow down my writing far too much.
I one telephone call I may at times take 5 A4 pages of hand written notes.
Usually the way around that problem is to create a template document ahead of time that is something like 10 blank pages (or as many as you think you'll need). Then you can use that to write on and turning pages should be much easier. I think you can do that on the iLiad as well as the DR.

I've even seen some templates posted by users that were lined pages, so it felt more like writing in a notebook.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvg View Post
Hi,

if you are deskbased,
why not use a tablet with your computer?
I've heard people getting used to writing on a tablet and seeing the "ink" on a screen (for me not very good)
a further option could be the "pulse" or other similar options where you write on normal paper, but your input is captured in parallel to the computer.

these seem (for notetaking) cheaper and better.

Tom (I have used all of the above)
Thanks Tom, I also want the capability of reading PDF documents from the device. I find that I cannot read from a computer screen for long periods of time... I agree though that a tablet PC would be a lot cheaper as an option

Karen
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert